What to do with Mr. Gangplank!?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1337n00bh4x0r

03-16-2012

I see Gangplank more often than probably any other champion. He's a pirate, and that's cool or whatever, but I've got a question and I need some help. I don't own him, I don't play him, and I think he's terribad.

I don't know how to help him if he's my jungler. He brings no CC.

I don't know how to gank his lane if I'm the jungler. He does no damage.

It seems like he sits in his lane and shoots creeps, and then ... mid game happens, and then end game happens, but poor Mr. GP does -not- happen. What the heck is he supposed to do, and why do I see him so often? If he's gonna be on my team, what can I expect him to bring to a gank, to lane, and to a teamfight?

mistorious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-16-2012

Gangplank has a lot of fun utility. His ult entails a barrage of cannonballs which can go anywhere on the map, and slows drastically and unreliably does damage, usually gp's use this to either get away, make people fall back, to chase them, to attempt to pick them off, or to farm creeps. This can be really useful depending on when and where you use it. His parrley is a huge damage part of him, it crits often and scales very well with ad. His raise morale skill gives everyone around him enhanced attack damage and movement speed, which can be helpful to dole out some extra damage or in team fights. His oranges are a slight heal, but are mainly used to remove cc immediately after it is put on him. His passive can be used to slow/hurt the opponent occasionally which also procs on his q. Pretty much people build him often as tanky, or crit based for the most part. I can't really tell you anything about the jungling because i've never seen or tried a jungle gangplank. But he is very helpful if used right.

P.S. Hope you're not trolling.

WickedArts

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2012

Are you trolling right now? This can't possibly be a real question.....

1337n00bh4x0r

03-16-2012

He's never got a good k/d though. He can break away and run from anything, but that's all he does. Most of the time when I see his ult in a teamfight or gank, he's off farming somewhere. I'm assuming it's used to rack up assists (and obviously help land kills), but when his ult is down, why is he here?

I know why people would play him, as far as "fun" goes, but I just never see it transfer into anything helpful in the game. I'm not trolling. I'm genuinely upset when somebody asks for top, so they take it, and it's GP. It's an auto-lose for my team, and I just want to understand why he's constantly around, or what I can do to help this champion do something useful for my team...

TimmyPage

03-16-2012

I think it's a matter of build. I see a LOT of GP players just rush GP10 or Warmogs and do absolutely nothing in lane/cant add anything to a gank. A good player does a fair bit of damage with him and knows how to build to shut down his lane even without a jungler's help.

Merriken

03-16-2012

Gangplank's passive is Grog-Soaked Blade, which applies poison and a slow.

When I lane with GP I build what I would build with Cait or Sivir or any other AD carry. If I go jungle I build him semi-tanky, but still pretty AS, AD, and crit heavy.

PyloNazTLO

03-16-2012

TROLOLOLOLOL One of the best duelists in the game. Cant be serious. Q to harass. For 1v1s. QERWQ Then poison is dangerous at low levels. Level 1 fights are a GPs bread and butter. The FB is a staple for all GPs.

Doran Shield-> Ninja Tabi-> 2 Blades-> Wriggles->Frozen Mallet-> Atmas.

Good Sustainability with good 1v1 damage. In team fights. Start with ult then rush in towards the carry, Q E for team buff. And continue to chase carry. In a fight your job to look for the carry and pound them. You should be tanky enough to take hits and have enough damage to take out the carry.

Of course builds are situational. For Fiora I would go.. Doran Shield-> Ninja Tabi -> Warden's Mail -> Wriggles.And Grab an exhaust for her ult..

Queen Sejuani

03-16-2012

Only gank as GP if you have red buff or the enemy is terribly overextended.

Ganking the lane for GP is really good. He has a ranged slow that stacks with his passive. Post 6 he has a global AoE slow. He also has a AD/Movement speed steroid for you AND him. If he gets CC'd, he can eat an orange and nothing happens to him.

In Lane, once he has Philo it's going to be a ghay lane becaus he mashes Parrleys all day every day at you for damage. And it stacks up and only gets better once he gets Wriggles.

woahjangles

03-17-2012

Try critplank. Tell me you do no damage.

avinashdld

03-17-2012

The people you are seeing use gp are playing him wrong or getting badly counter picked.
GP in top lane is a major force. I get FB very often with him because his passive is so strong early game. His oranges and speed steriod make him very difficult to gank as well. Unless he gets counter picked (which can happen as there are a lot of counter options) you can just leave him top and watch him dominate. His ulti is about being able to influence fights without missing out on farm, something that is very useful in the laning phase.

As a jungler his slow with red and his speed steriod means he can chase down people very fast. Hopefully the people in the lane have some CC so that when they catch the enemy they can kill them.