Galio: He seems good.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panwar

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralucire View Post
The speed buff won't make or break anything moment-to-moment, but if you're trying to rush across the map to aid a gank or provide backup or whatever else, and you can use the full length of the spell, it makes a sizable difference.
Again it's my seat of the pants feeling that it doesn't really give him much of a move speed advantage. And I think that it's your seat of the pants feeling that it does. Whatever, until someone holds a video race or something we'll just have to leave it at that.

Quote:
Paltry MR, moderate AP, concessionary amount of mana, run speed on a champ with a run speed steroid, and a massive price hike for an on-hit bonus which requires two things: first, you have to stay in melee range, which is where Galio is the most disadvantaged; second, you'd have to make use of his pathetically slow attack speed and low basic attack damage.
I'm gonna say some things here and it's not arguing for Lich Bane. I still don't know if it's a good item or not, however I think your reasons are faulty.
1. You are a tank, you are going to be in melee range.
2. I've already said, I don't think his MS steroid is that helpful because of the cast time. It certainly doesn't help you disengage or chase.
3.You don't have to have good AtkSpd, just attack once every 2 seconds when you can have a LB proc.
4. You will use your AP as the bonus atkdmg.

Again, not saying it's a great item. I think it's just spendy for not being a core item for a Dom game. But you're reasons seem silly to me.
Quote:
As opposed to (with 40% CDR) Leona's AoE stun/slow at 35 seconds, Nautilus' AoE knockup/stun at 45 seconds, Malphite's AoE knockup at 55 seconds, and Sejuani's AoE stun, which is considered one of the weakest tank ultimates on Dom, at 66 seconds. And that's just counting tank champion ults.

78 seconds (not 88), with full CDR, is monstrous. It is hideously massive.
Galio's arguably ult is more game changing than all of those ults. But besides that, you don't say (all these ults are on a shorter CD and so Galio's is super long). I can use Galio's ult many times in a game. I'm sure to the opponents it feels like I use it almost every fight. Which is good.

Quote:
Galio is one of those freakish champs that will have mana issues unless you do something to counter it. In addition to being cheap, and hyper-efficient for cost in conjunction with his passive, Chalice provides just enough mana regen that you'll never run out of mana, even if you don't increase your mana/regen with runes or masteries.
Well I'll check it out. I have ran out of mana, but that happens on WW and Naut, and Alistar as well, and I don't buy mana regen for them. I just try to keep my abilities in check until I can get some mana under my belt. That's what I've been doing with Galio.

Stralucire

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panwar View Post
I'm gonna say some things here and it's not arguing for Lich Bane. I still don't know if it's a good item or not, however I think your reasons are faulty.
1. You are a tank, you are going to be in melee range.
Every mage will find themselves in melee range at some point, that doesn't mean any one wants to be in melee range. Galio is a mage, first and foremost. Being a tank in addition to a mage is not a valid reason for him to go into melee range willingly. He's considered one of the strongest point defenders and bot laners in Dominion largely because of his ability to stay out of melee attack range without detriment, but not turn squishy when it goes there. You're willingly sacrificing one of his greatest strengths if you send him right into the hands of melee bruisers and carries.

Does that mean you should never be in melee range? Of course not. Especially if it helps save your teammate: get in there. But you're playing a poor Galio if you don't abuse his capacity to poke out of range as much as possible.

Quote:
2. I've already said, I don't think his MS steroid is that helpful because of the cast time. It certainly doesn't help you disengage or chase.
It can help you disengage if you already have a lead. It can help your teammates give chase. The extent to which it does either is besides the point. The skill exists, it has a move speed bonus, and if you never use it for that bonus, you're only using half the skill.

If you really, really need a passive speed bonus, buy Force of Nature. At least it's an item worth buying for Galio.

Quote:
3.You don't have to have good AtkSpd, just attack once every 2 seconds when you can have a LB proc.
4. You will use your AP as the bonus atkdmg.
Do you need a strong basic attack to make use of Lich Bane? No. If you're playing a champ whose weakest aspect is their basic attack, does it sound logical to buy an item that boosts the damage of basic attacks? Absolutely not.

There are a few casters where a case for Lich Bane can be made: Ziggs, Lux, AP Ez, Kassadin, AP Skarner, AP Nidalee, perhaps a few more. Galio is not on this list.

Quote:
Galio's arguably ult is more game changing than all of those ults. But besides that, you don't say (all these ults are on a shorter CD and so Galio's is super long). I can use Galio's ult many times in a game. I'm sure to the opponents it feels like I use it almost every fight. Which is good.
More game changing? That's debatable. But consider this: Galio has a really good ult on a massive cooldown. Leona has a really good ult on a very short cooldown; on top of that she has a 4 second cool down stun, and a 5 second cooldown root. Nautilus has a really good ult on a pretty short cooldown; on top of that he has a 6 second CD stun-halfpull, a 6 second CD slow, and an on-hit root. Galio may have a game changing ult, but these tanks have a game changing whole package.

In fact, lets look at this another way: 40% CDR Blitzcrank. Blitz has an 8 second CD stun-pull, a 3 second CD knockup, and a 17 second CD AoE silence. In the span of Galio's 78 second ult CD, Blitz can dish out: 4 AoE silences, 9 stun-pulls, and 16 knockups. No matter how impressive Galio's ult looks, his skill set on the whole pales in comparison to other tanks.

Quote:
Well I'll check it out. I have ran out of mana, but that happens on WW and Naut, and Alistar as well, and I don't buy mana regen for them. I just try to keep my abilities in check until I can get some mana under my belt. That's what I've been doing with Galio.
I've never played WW, but in my experience with Naut and Alistar, a Prospector's ring takes care of most, if not all, the early game mana issues. Honestly, if the Chalice didn't have MR I'd probably take Prospectors ring over it. But, you know, dat passive.

Panwar

03-16-2012

Quote:
In fact, lets look at this another way: 40% CDR Blitzcrank. Blitz has an 8 second CD stun-pull, a 3 second CD knockup, and a 17 second CD AoE silence. In the span of Galio's 78 second ult CD, Blitz can dish out: 4 AoE silences, 9 stun-pulls, and 16 knockups. No matter how impressive Galio's ult looks, his skill set on the whole pales in comparison to other tanks.
It is often said that point by point comparison of abilities is folly, and such is the case here. You put forth quite a tally of CC from Blitzcrank and it's true, blitz is a CC master. However Blitz isn't going to turn a team fight(or a 1/2/3v3 over a point) from a total defeat, to a triple kill in the matter of 3 seconds. Galio can.

Again, I'm not trying to say that Galio is the best tank ever. I've pulled off enough 1v3's with Alistar to recognize his limitations. But all of this skill comparing you are doing doesn't really tell the story of what's going on.

Quote:
I've never played WW, but in my experience with Naut and Alistar, a Prospector's ring takes care of most, if not all, the early game mana issues. Honestly, if the Chalice didn't have MR I'd probably take Prospectors ring over it. But, you know, dat passive.
Prospectors is horrible on WW, I've never tried it on the other two. I usually just grab a mana pot, and then build something with a man crystal fairly soon(such as frozen heart).

Viktoree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2012

I only played Galio a handful of full of times but each one was enjoyable, I would recommend trying him to other people based on the fun of playing him alone.

Stralucire

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktoree View Post
I only played Galio a handful of full of times but each one was enjoyable, I would recommend trying him to other people based on the fun of playing him alone.
Which is something I've always had pause about, because every time a Galio thread comes up, a lot of people jump in with, "oh yeah, Galio, he's super duper fun times," but still almost no one plays him. Not really sure why. I mean, I already flogged the horse about how he is not OP, but that's never stopped anyone from playing a champ. Considering the people I've seen pick up Galio on free week, I'd say it's a learning curve thing. He's fun, but those first few games, before you start to learn his build and tempo and little tricks, they're rough.

Anyway, Pan, I'm not sure why I was arguing with you. Stayed up too late, probably. Lets both give Gal the thumbs up and carry on with life, shall we?

Panwar

03-16-2012

Quote:
Anyway, Pan, I'm not sure why I was arguing with you. Stayed up too late, probably. Lets both give Gal the thumbs up and carry on with life, shall we?
Me too. Thumbs up it is.

Lerch

03-16-2012

I feel Galio would be better if this auto attack had ranged on it .

AldrickExGladius

03-16-2012

I agree that Galio is one of the harder champs to master, so a lot of people see bad Galios, and hence don't play him because they think he's a bad champ. But when there's someone who has been playing him for a long time, you've got to be careful because they will rip any mage apart. When playing Galio bot, it's pretty much a law of the universe that you're going to take the other point really quick and be able to hold it. The only thing that can stop him are ganks from the jungle or if the other team has 2 bot constantly.

As for his ult, it's always amusing watching 3 or more enemies try to rush me and retake a point when I have both my ult and Garrison up lol. I'm bound to kill at least 1, maybe 2 of them.

GrignardTS

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch View Post
Bulwark is already kind of sleeper OP, he doesn't really need anything.

Stralucire

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch View Post
You're right, he would be better. But not better in any way that's really necessary. If anything, I'd say he's a more interesting champ to play because of the melee attack.