Galio: He seems good.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panwar

03-15-2012

So early game he has respectable damage, and excellent utility. The first WM fight is awesome for Galio as he has good poke on decent CD's and then a shield for whomever is the first to jump in/get initiated upon.

Later game he is tanky while providing a shield for the squishies and if you build a bit of ap/mr his damage adds up over time.

His ult...His ult is what pushes Galio over the top. I max CDR so it's up every minute and a half and it's just dangerous. Horribly dangerous.

He isn't particularly weak against anyone. While he's obviously strongest against ap, armor items fit perfectly well on him, and with his shield and his ult giving him 50% damage reduction even the hardcore ad carry types take awhile to kill him/if they can at all.

Items I've been building:

• Spirit Visage
  • Merc Treads/Ninja Tabi
  • Aegis
  • Abyssal Scepter
  • Wit's End
  • Thornmail
  • Frozen Heart

Of course that's not a build, just some items I've been using. I could see building Lich Bane on him as well if you wanted more damage.

Anyways. Thoughts? Anyone run him?

ZedPower

03-15-2012

I often take him to bot lane. He's hard to kill all game long and he pushes like a mofo, which enables him to control the health relic and eventually wear down the other bot. And if needed he can go top and rock some skirmishes and hold any point for a while. (I always take Garrison so I can deal tons of extra damage from a defensive ult on a point I want to hold. That saved me more times than I care to remember.) I did find he does well for the initial top fight, but I found his early game really benefits from the extra quick farm in bot and I'd rather have at least boots, a chain vest and negatron cloak before I really get involved in real fights. That's probably just me being super careful though.

Another benefit of going bot is that I've always completely shutdown every Yorick I've ever faced down there. I just rank up Bulwark quicker than usual and giggle as Yorick spends mana to heal me while I decimate his minions in complete impunity.

My items look like yours pretty much, but I really like Hextech Sweeper on top of that if the other guys have any stealth, and if I do go bot I start with boots and a Chalice just to make sure I can push continually and never have to leave my lane for any reason. (Though I do have armor yellows instead of mana regen for Galio so maybe I need it more than most would.)

Panwar

03-15-2012

I haven't got the chance to take him bot yet.

I generally make it a policy that any champ I'm going to eventually build a SV or Zeke's on, I usually start Kindle Gem/boots/pots(2 heal and 1 mana in Galio's case). Kindle Gem is just a really good item at the very beginning for anyone that's going to be "in the ****" so to speak, and it allows me to get boots.

I've been taking Garrison as well along with Revive. Which brings me to his major negative; he's pretty slow.

Kiddalee

03-15-2012

Galio isn't slow. You take 21 in Defense or Utility, and he has an AoE speed-buff. 310 is not a slow starting speed.

Stralucire

03-15-2012

I've regretted every single game where I did not immediately buy Chalice. It's just that good. In general, my builds usually look like this:

Chalice > Ionians (if thornmail) / Mercs (if glacial) > Thornmail/Glacial > Abyssal > Visage > whatever else.

His success at bot vs top largely depends on his skill order. If I plan on playing hard top, it's R>W>Q>E. If I'm bot, its R>2 points in QW>Q>W>E.

Nothing about Galio actually pushes him over the top. If it wasn't for the uber-efficiency of his passive, he'd be down at scrub tier with Sej. He has some decent support, and a phenomenal point D, but his short range and slow speed make him susceptible to getting out-poked. Most importantly, with only one hard CC on a monstrous cooldown, and a mediocre soft CC based on a fairly high capped skill shot, he doesn't bring much to the table in a group fight. The other team can walk right past him without much fuss, unlike all the high-control tanks and bruisers who will make your life hell just for being around. Overall good, not great; excellent counter pick in the right situation, otherwise not a priority pick.

Also, never buy Lich Bane for Galio. Ever. Do not do it.

Kiddalee

03-15-2012

Isn't Lich Bane kind of wasted on Galio? Even though the stats are nice, he will hardly get to use the proc.

Panwar

03-15-2012

His speed buff seems only situational for himself. He stops as he's casting it, so while I've never timed it, it doesn't seem like he gains much of a speed advantage from using it. It's good for your teammates though.

I have never bought lichbane as it's really expensive and what I would consider a luxury item. I don't even know if it would be good. It just seems like it would be. Can you explain why it's not a good buy if you got your core and want damage? Though Kiddalee might be right about how often it would proc.

And as I said, I cap CDR. which puts his ult at 88 seconds. Not monsterous at all.

I feel like Stralucire is trying to talk me out of thinking he's OP. I don't think that at all. And I agree that perhaps compared to Alistar or something like that he's not as good. But I don't want to play Alistar every game(or even most games) and I think Galio seems like a good choice otherwise.

I could see why you might buy Chalice on SR. But mana problems are pretty manageable on Dom. And as for MR there are simply better items. I don't see why I would buy it.

Stralucire

03-15-2012

Worse than hardly. If you're trying to use the proc, you're playing to Galio's biggest weakness.

Stralucire

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panwar View Post
His speed buff seems only situational for himself. He stops as he's casting it, so while I've never timed it, it doesn't seem like he gains much of a speed advantage from using it. It's good for your teammates though.
The speed buff won't make or break anything moment-to-moment, but if you're trying to rush across the map to aid a gank or provide backup or whatever else, and you can use the full length of the spell, it makes a sizable difference.

Quote:
I have never bought lichbane as it's really expensive and what I would consider a luxury item. I don't even know if it would be good. It just seems like it would be. Can you explain why it's not a good buy if you got your core and want damage?
Paltry MR, moderate AP, concessionary amount of mana, run speed on a champ with a run speed steroid, and a massive price hike for an on-hit bonus which requires two things: first, you have to stay in melee range, which is where Galio is the most disadvantaged; second, you'd have to make use of his pathetically slow attack speed and low basic attack damage.

Consider, on the other hand, that for 500 gold less you could buy both Quicksilver Sash and Spirit Visage for a collective bonus of (including Galio's passive): 86 MR, 43 AP, 250 HP, 10% CDR, 15% increased healing, and a cleanse. It's slightly less offensive, but massively more defensive, and it plays to every single one of Galio's strengths.

If you really need offensive strength, buy Abyssal. If you need more still, or if you're going for a trololo mage Galio, do the mage thing and buy Deathcap. Though I wouldn't recommend it. Abyssal and your MR will, for the most part, give you plenty of offense.

Quote:
And as I said, I cap CDR. which puts his ult at 88 seconds. Not monsterous at all.
As opposed to (with 40% CDR) Leona's AoE stun/slow at 35 seconds, Nautilus' AoE knockup/stun at 45 seconds, Malphite's AoE knockup at 55 seconds, and Sejuani's AoE stun, which is considered one of the weakest tank ultimates on Dom, at 66 seconds. And that's just counting tank champion ults.

78 seconds (not 88), with full CDR, is monstrous. It is hideously massive.

Quote:
I feel like Stralucire is trying to talk me out of thinking he's OP. I don't think that at all. And I agree that perhaps compared to Alistar or something like that he's not as good. But I don't want to play Alistar every game(or even most games) and I think Galio seems like a good choice otherwise.
You did throw around the "op champ" lingo in your first post. But it's cool, I understand. Personally, I consider him one of my main champs. He's a lot of fun, and rare to see, and a lot of players don't quite know how to counter him at lower ELO. Makes for a really good package. But lots of other tanks and bruiser-tanks are great fun, too. So it all comes down to a /shrug.

Quote:
I could see why you might buy Chalice on SR. But mana problems are pretty manageable on Dom. And as for MR there are simply better items. I don't see why I would buy it.
Galio is one of those freakish champs that will have mana issues unless you do something to counter it. In addition to being cheap, and hyper-efficient for cost in conjunction with his passive, Chalice provides just enough mana regen that you'll never run out of mana, even if you don't increase your mana/regen with runes or masteries.

T3kn0man

03-16-2012

I think he is a fantastic bottom laner. With the exception of Yorick few bottom lane champs can out push or outlast him once you have taken care of his mana issues (Chalice!). Seeing as how Yorick is banned (if you cannot force a first pick grab) he can be a great counter bottom. Most of the other viable bot laners are usually AP and with his passive plus pokes he can put the match up in his favor. Coupled with if he wins the enemy turret it will take a huge amout of effort to dislodge him.

A solid last pick to round off the team and he can be very effective top.