Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What heroes to unlock.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phatshady912

08-01-2010

Long time DotA player here who has just started LoL. I don't plan on spending money on the game unless I get really into it, because then I'd think of it more as paying the devs for their hardwork, for a product I enjoy, as opposed to now where it would feel like, pay to get better heroes and pwn.

So anyways, what order should I go about unlocking heroes. Are the starting support decent enough, so I should just unlock carries 1st? or vice versa. I tend to play support in DotA because there is always too much ego and everyone wants to carry. yet I want to win.

Only hero I have really played so far is Cho'gath hes like a Lina with 4000 hp...lol.

Also how are the suggested item builds? I've just been following that because it feels like I don't have enough time to waste in-game reading tooltips. I guess I'll have to play a few vs bots to check all the items.

Xerexsus

08-01-2010

If you like support Soraka is the way to go. She's cheap (450 IP) and is a pretty large presence in a team fight with her heals. The suggested item build for her is pretty much spot on.

Kayle is also a decent support but with more of a dps side to her and is also 450 IP.

Recognizee

08-01-2010

You could also try morgana. Not one of the easiest, but definetly very strong.

DeathByPockets

08-01-2010

I think every player (yourself included) should try and buy the six 450 IP champions as soon as possible. They're all very easy to learn (except maybe Kayle, because she was reworked), and are all reasonably strong champions (except Nunu, who was considered mid-low tier last time I checked - he's nonetheless a lot of fun).

Additonally, they give you a good base from which to learn about the game, and learn about which sort of char you like to play (LoL is far less carry-centric than DotA, so the roles are sort of different). From there you can start looking at the more expensive champions, and decide which ones you want to buy.

xpsychedelico

08-01-2010

You get to play 10 free champions a week, so I'd say don't worry too much about unlocking champions yet, play every new one you can to get a feel of what they can do, and to understand their abilities better. If you really enjoyed playing a certain champion, by all means buy them after the week is over.

You may want to go for carries first for the sole fact that you have played DotA and know how the game works. If you have a consistently high KDR, the matchmaking system will push you out of newbie island quickly and you will be placed with people of your skill level. As you're starting out, matchmaking assumes you have never played any MOBA and you will probably do better than majority of your team if they aren't smurfs (LoL players with new accounts).

Recommended items tend to reflect the most common build on a champion, so they are good for players who are starting out and getting hit by a ton of information, but they don't teach you how to build to counter the enemy team. The best way to learn is to first understand what every champion can do, so that you can build to counter them.

The Guides and Strategy forum, leaguecraft.com and mobafire all offer some great guides that also give you situational items to choose from. It's best you study the items on their own to see what they can do, and then apply the knowledge to your situation in game. The LoL website has a really good items section that lists all the items and what they can do, just like in game, so you do not have to use a practice game to look at and compare them.

Spoing

08-01-2010

go to leaguecraft.org, there are some quite good guides, that often give better item builds. Most fun champs are 6300, they are rewarding to play.