Unconventional Supports

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SuperSlothBear

03-14-2012

Ashe- slows and her hawk shot. Also her ult.

Heimerdinger- Set up a turret to act as a ward bottom lane, then just harrass the enemy with your grenade and give your lane mate that aoe hp regen.

cpandarun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2012

Yeah but all poppy has to support is a push that can stun if they hit a wall. Other than that she could run into the team with her ult up and her steriod and push someone out of position but it's really sub par support. Just play Alistar.

For an unconventional support Fiddlesticks is pretty good. Level up E and Q and can even initiate after he gets Zhonyas. Kennon is an allright support. Able to zone and harass and becomes a stun bot during team fights. But with these unconventional supports even with g/5 items you're going to want to split some of the junglers farm because they need some items to be useful late game.

Cenerae

03-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaaja View Post
Well, do other supports do the damage needed to kill people? No, they set up kills and keep the killing machine safe.
But how about 8% of max health every 4 seconds or so. In addition to that, stunning the target to set up kills for the AD carry, soaking the brunt of the front loaded dmg from the opposition etc.
Go for boots, philo stone, and sheen and you're good to go. Build on that with the kill/assist gold you should be getting quite nicely, provided you get your lane partner to also go more offensive instead of afk farm.
Thing is, poppy doesn't have anything except her damage. Except a conditional stun.

So it stands to reason that she is required to deal damage to fill her support role. Only with low funding, she won't really be murdering anything like normal, making her a wasted slot really.

Mestaaja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2012

Perhaps Poppy is subpar, but that's what this was all about, unconventional supports. Of course I could play Alistair, but that's pretty conventional.
I'd like more of a challenge really.
How else do you propose I get gold for her items then, if not with assist gold? Farm minions? Because she is so great at that...

General Sassycat

03-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
Thing is, poppy doesn't have anything except her damage. Except a conditional stun.

So it stands to reason that she is required to deal damage to fill her support role. Only with low funding, she won't really be murdering anything like normal, making her a wasted slot really.
Poppy is never a wasted slot, as long as you are good at her. Support Poppy is basically total bush control. If you've seen SpamHappy play it then you'll know what i mean. When i do well i notice i make it really easy for my AD carry to farm, and if the enemy bot lane gets to close i can do a quick q to do some nice damage. Not to mention that when the jungler comes in your charge can save your carries life, and you don't die because you should have armour runes making you pretty much invincible when you count in your passive (and ult if your 6).
I don't know if it counts as unconventional but Kayle support is pretty boss. I see people do her several ways but having all attack speed runes and then rushing a wits end makes you dominate bot lane carries in a 1v1 fight (I've only seen this happen, i haven't played her).

Ethri

03-15-2012

I've played support veigar before....his stun is amazing when aimed correctly.

5v5 where everyone is running in circles and overlapping? Stun, focus, and destroy.

Krufix

03-15-2012

I quite like playing Orianna as a support, a shield, armor buff, speed boost makes her pretty strong.
Also Morgana against a heavy magic damage team/heavy CC

Sokolniki

03-15-2012

I've been toying around with a support Kayle for early game that transitions into a pseudo 2nd AD as you enter mid and late game, with 9/0/21 or 8/1/21 with heal and exhaust. The issue I'm running into is that all the GP/5 items build into CDR items, while Nashor's tooth is an awesome item on a Kayle you are building as a support for early game but between masteries and a GP/5 final item, puts you way over the CDR Cap. So I'm gonna experiment with a build that lacks the CDR Masteries.

Shurelya's is pretty awesome on a Kayle since between it and her Divine Blessing, she can get into a sudden battle rather quickly to land a clutch ult, or between the two + her Q, can really help a carry avoid being chopped up by a bruiser that dived them.

Build Order is still in the works, but been trying out with a Doran's Ring + 1 pot opening, grab boots and wards on first recall, philosopher stone on second, Nashor's Tooth (Fiendish Codex priority over stinger), then start building AS via Rageblade, The Black Cleaver and maybe a Malady to continue building on the defense shred that Kayle's passive provides. I wanna try out skipping Doran's Ring for Regrowth Pendent + Ward opening and a faster Philosopher's Stone.

Warrrrax

03-15-2012

The key thing to remember is that the Support champ will have very little gold, few creep stats, and need to work decently with Philo Stone and Heart of Gold. They also need to have decent base values on their stuff, and not really scale that well. (the non-scaling isn't strictly needed but a weaker scaling champ has better base values n stuff).

Blitz works fantastic with a good amount of CC, great initiation, and innate tankiness.

Gangplank is interesting. Shares AD, movespeed, Ult is awesome and scales poorly, ditto with self heal.

I would say Nidalee does NOT work all that great. Her trap is handy, as is her heal/AS boost. But otherwise, she isn't that useful. Her spears need massive AP to really do much good and she needs a decent amount of mana to spam them. Her cougar form is pretty useless, not even to farm.

Ashe has some decent utility, but I dont really think its enough to justify her as support. No healing, no real buffing and her base damage on Spread shot sucks without any AD. She is much better as a carry where she has the utility and delivers damage as well.

Kayle isn't seen much anymore either due to teh 0CS problem. She really needs items to do well. Otherwise she has a weak heal/MS buff, a solid Ultimate, and little else.

Cenerae

03-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Sassycat View Post
Poppy is never a wasted slot, as long as you are good at her. Support Poppy is basically total bush control. If you've seen SpamHappy play it then you'll know what i mean. When i do well i notice i make it really easy for my AD carry to farm, and if the enemy bot lane gets to close i can do a quick q to do some nice damage. Not to mention that when the jungler comes in your charge can save your carries life, and you don't die because you should have armour runes making you pretty much invincible when you count in your passive (and ult if your 6).
I don't know if it counts as unconventional but Kayle support is pretty boss. I see people do her several ways but having all attack speed runes and then rushing a wits end makes you dominate bot lane carries in a 1v1 fight (I've only seen this happen, i haven't played her).
Sure, ok. Maybe she is useful during laning. But after that, with no items, she is not useful enough to justify the slot on a team since she will do low damage and her CC is unreliable.

Clearly you disagree with me and that is fine, but as a support main I would never even consider using Poppy. If I wanted brush control I'd use Leona, Blitz, Nautilus or Alistar. All of whom remain useful after laning since they have a lot more CC and none of it requires proper wall positioning.