Veigar, Fiddle or Ryze? (AP Mid)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Merluza00

03-13-2012

thats my question,
I need a reliable, easy to play and cheap AP champion to go mid. I normally pick AS Kennen, Urgot or even Galio if I know I have to go mid because I am not an expert in any full AP champion (I used to play Viktor, I even own him but I am looking for someone who dont make my team troll at me if I pick him and I never mastered his E also).
I've tried Ryze, Fiddle and Veigar during free weeks and I did pretty decent with them against bots and they have interesting kits. I also tried Annie and didnt like her at all. Anyways I dont see any of them on streams so I know they are not insta-picks.
I know that are many better 3150+ choices, say Brand, Xerath, Cass, Karthus, Ahri, but I just want one that I've already tested, fun, with decent burst and who can fill the AP-hole when everyone pick tanks and AD champions. Im also saving IP for a good jungler so I am not really interested in spend 6000IP right now, even my priority is to get a main AP champ. I cant make my decision, mainly because last time I played Veigar was in my 2nd week of game and I sucked back there (I mean, more than now :P ), and its been a long time since I played Ryze too.
Can you give me a hand telling me your opinions, experiences, pro & cons with those champs? Or just tell me who to pick

Princess Nagi

03-13-2012

Fiddle has a lot of CC and puts out good AoE damage if the other team doesn't know how to counter you. However against anyone with a hard crowd control you're going to get destroyed. Does well in lane.

Ryze has a weak early game but he does good sustained magic damage and builds tanky (No AP items until you've gotten your core mana items out of the way since he scales way harder from mana then he does from AP). Not as much burst as veigar.

Veigar is pure burst and can three shot~ish AP champions because of his ultimate. However he's REALLY squishy and countered hard by banshee's veil and a stun of some sort.

Faelix

03-13-2012

The magic, it calls to MEEEE!

Majestaat

03-13-2012

1. Veigar is one of the strongest -if not the strongest- burst champion. "Free AP" is incredible (you have to farm quite a while though), he has a very annoying stun (placing this well is key to be a good Veigar) and due to the current meta, you should normally be facing another AP carry in your lane, meaning that you can burst them down even if you're not doing so good (since your ult scales out of the enemy AP as well).
He's super squishy though. If you can't land your stun, you might lose even 1v1 scenarios.

2. Ryze is very weak at early game, but becomes a beast as the games progresses. The fact that he gains damage off mana enables him to get items that will make you quite tanky. For example, Banshee's Veil and Frozen Heart. Due to his passive, he can dish tons of damage in a prolonged fight, and since you're tanky, you should be able to stay in the fight for quite some time.
Once you get a Tear of the Goddess, your Q is a good farming tool. The W is a great CC, while your E provides a nice debuff. The ult just makes Ryze even more powerful in teamfights, gaining AoE damage and spellvamp to sustain yourself.
Problems about Ryze could be...
-His W would be his only "escape". Only useful in 1v1 situations.
-Weak early game.
-Because he scales off mana, a "general AP" runepage won't help him much.

3. Fiddlesticks is better as a jungler IMO. He has self-sustain and the ult is a guaranteed kill if you pull it right (which can be difficult to do if you're laning with him, because you will either be in the field of vision of your opponent or will suddenly hide and make it too obvious).
His Q is incredible in any scenario. 3 seconds disable is a very powerful tool for ganks, to disrupt an enemy carry in teamfights or to escape from a difficult situation.
His drain makes him almost impossible to kill 1v1 if the enemy has no hard CC. Note that you will be stuck in place though. In lane, you will be draining minions every now and then, which are a good source of sustain, but the enemy will make use of those moments to punish you, so you must be very careful.
His E can be a good poking tool, or a disrupter for channeling skills. It's not wise to max this skill early, since Fiddle needs drain to sustain him and win 1v1. However, Dark Wind can become a very powerful skill in lategame, when you have lots of AP.
His ult is a gamechanger. A fed Fiddlesticks can potentially deal with a whole team (doesn't mean you should go 1v5 though), but it can be quite easy to defend against if:
-The enemy have placed wards in the places you are most likely going to jump from.
-You are casting it right in front of them.
-They are much faster than you.

In lane, Fiddle can be a great counter for certain champions without hard CC, but because he is not so good at farming, and his ganks are extremely powerful, I say you're better trying him as a jungler.

ImASexyManBeast

03-13-2012

I can only offer my advice as per Veigar on this subject, but I know him like the back of my hand.

Veigar has several disadvantages over the other two. He can't harass in lane like they can. If you do harass with your Q, you quickly find yourself out of mana. It generally isn't worth it. As well, if you get harassed in lane, there's little point in fighting back. However, once level 9 rolls around, you can start putting harsh pressure on lane, and with a good jungler who ganks and gives you blues, Veigar comes out with one of the strongest laning phases of any champion this game has, especially in mid.

In a TL;DR version: Veigar has possibly one of the worst early laning phases of any champion, but will come out later as one of the best granted you focus on farming that Q.

Also, I wouldn't play Fiddle as a mid laner, his presence as a jungler is much stronger. Hope I helped ^_^

Merluza00

03-13-2012

Up to now, I guess I'll go for Veigar. It was fun to last hit with Q and get free AP