Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Support viktor viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

911toast

03-12-2012

First of all, I'd like to say Vik is my new favorite champ. Smarctasting with his E burns like hell and is immensely satisfying. His gravity field is just about my favorite ability in the game; I've found it almost guaranteed to thwart ganks from champions who can't flash over it, and you can throw it on yourself if they can. So it got me thinking, isn't that exactly something you would want on a support champ? So I started playing him support, and obviously I made this thread because I'm doing unbelievably well (undefeated, in fact), and I was wondering if anybody has seen this in the ranked world or if I should try it.

VinceTacofield

03-12-2012

Can you describe your build?
I'm very interested in this.

DMPuffy

03-13-2012

Anyone who has CC or some kind of zoning ability works as a support these days it seems... It might not work amazingly against smart players, but it'll definitely work to an extent. I've seen support Viktor before, I think it worked pretty well. It was Viktor and Ashe, and they crushed their lane, but Viktor was kind of useles mid game.

ViashinoWizard

03-13-2012

Viktor is pretty item-dependent to be effective, though. Without sufficient AP and mana, all he's really contributing is his W.

Floggle

03-13-2012

The current meta of support champs are popular because they work so well with so little gold. Take Janna for example, every one of her skills work just fine without a single point of AP.

Unless Viktor was extremely fed, his damage would falloff sharply and his main contribution would be the stun, which is nice, but other supports would bring more.

JRizzle81

03-13-2012

He has good poke and a stun. His shield is only good for himself. So yeah he might work okay, but there are better especially because his ability to do dmg is his main contribution and if he cant do it mid or late game then you have become a grown up babysitter with only one ability that does anything.

Just depends on how well you can get fed on bot, but then you might be taking kills from your carry which limits your AD carry. So yeah... I am sure he works pretty well. Sometimes I just Xerath which can work pretty well too, but it is not ideal. Xerath has a pretty long range guaranteed stun and massive poke, but still same problem as Viktor. To be ideal... really need someone who isnt item dependent.

PerfectBlend

06-03-2012

I was thinking about this same thing.... besides the stun he does have a mass silence, so group stun/slow, and group silence plus auras should be enough for a decent support build

pro4never

06-04-2012

His base damage is actually quite decent on his ult. This would be hard to pull off and not ideal though.

Use Taric as an example... he has a targeted stun (no bull**** "stand here to get stunned" field), good armor, decent damage and a sub par but still existent shield...

If you just want an initiator, use Blitzcrank, Leona, Taric, Alistar...

If you want pure utility go Janna or Soraka.

Viktor brings nothing to the table that other mainstream supports do not do better. That being said... if you're just playing normals then it will work just fine. The issue becomes apparent when you start looking at high end play.

His Q, useless for this situation. You won't have enough mana to use it as a harassment tool... go soraka infuse spam if you want this level of harass
His W. Nice to stop ganks or turret diving but far from strong in normal lane phase. Grab a blitz/leona/ali/taric and abuse their CC and be FAR more effective
His E. VERY valuable for checking brush but you can't use it for in lane harass or you will hit minions causing your lane to push or you steal farm from your AD (I assume this is a 0cs lane for the meta. Not a kill lane as others do that better)
His Ulti. Actually has some good base damage. Great for interrupting that ulting Kat or Karth. if you can land your stun and ult in teamfights consistently then you are an effective mid/late game support... i just see it being a bit hard to pull off in many situations.

Just because I've been playing him a lot recently as support... Lets compare this versus blitzcrank as a 0cs support.

As opposed to a difficult to effectively land stun, you have a game winning grab (difficult to land if they are smart... but in all stages of the game, if you land the ult, you win the lane basically)

As opposed to a long cooldown silence with decent base damage, you have a low cooldown silence with decent base damage and a passive damage spike for your normal lane harass

As opposed to a sub par single target nuke which is too mana hungry to effectively use, you have a speed/attack speed boost and knockup cc which are fairly cheap on mana and the tankyness to effectively back up these skills.

I just don't see it as a true viable option... that being said, if it works for you in low end play and you enjoy it, more power to you.

GhostDonkeys

06-04-2012

I've done it before and been successful with it but it feels so lacking compared to mid viktor.

The thing I've found about viktor is, he REALLY likes to have nice ap early on. If you can get a quick deathcap on viktor you can really dish out some pain. When supporting with him that's just not possible.

corallein

06-04-2012

Quote:
pro4never:
Use Taric as an example... he has a targeted stun (no bull**** "stand here to get stunned" field), good armor, decent damage and a sub par but still existent shield...

Taric has a targetted stun, armor buff and debuff, heal, and AD+AP aura.

Not sure where you're getting the shield from.