General AD Rune Page

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

540howdy

03-12-2012

I'm a person who enjoys this game for free, and does not have a plan to buy 8 extra rune pages. I have created my general AP rune page, and I am curious as to what a good AD rune page is.

If you don't mind, could you also explain why these runes are good? Reason for this is because I don't want to spend 7k IP, and find out the runes are not well suited.

ChaosX1

03-12-2012

Flat AD Marks OR Armor Penetration Marks
Flat Armor Yellows
Flat Magic Resist Blues
Flat AD Quintessences

Flat Armor and Magic Resist runes are cheap (200 IP per) and help give you some extra early game survivability. This helps you with trading blows. On a champion like Graves, even with Rank 1 Passive (+10 Ar/MR), thanks to your Runes and 9 points in Defense Tree, you should have about 30 or so bonus Armor and MR (like 3/4 of a Chain Vest + Negatron) which makes it rather hard to trade blows with you. Flat Armor Yellows also overlap with jungler rune pages. They're overall great choices in general rune pages. I use them on my general AD and AP rune page (however with AP you can probably sub the blues for AP and sometimes yellows for Mana Regen... I'm just really cheap).

Flat AD offers easier last hitting so it's often taken on ranged AD carries. I think Flat AD and Armor Penetration are roughly the same damage-wise early game (?) but Armor Penetration lets you do more damage later on. However, since you get a Last Whisper anyways on AD carries, Armor Penetration isn't really a big issue and new masteries provide you with a bit more free ArPen than before (the 10% Arpen). Having too much flat Armor Penetration then getting a Last Whisper makes % armor penetration worth less since % ArPen is calculated last.

540howdy

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosX1 View Post
Flat AD Marks OR Armor Penetration Marks
Flat Armor Yellows
Flat Magic Resist Blues
Flat AD Quintessences

I understand the armor pen marks, and ad quints. I just don't understand why armor and magic resist.

ThePr0digy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540howdy View Post
I understand the armor pen marks, and ad quints. I just don't understand why armor and magic resist.
AD carries are squishy by nature, they need the extra help in lane. Also if you build defense you deal like no damage, so let the9 defensive masteries and the armor seals and MR glyphs help make up for that lack of innate tankyness so you can put off your defensive items till later in the game. At least that's how I see it.

Edit: Also armor pen marks are for harass strength, AD marks are for more last hitting power. Both are about the same for harass, give or take a few damage early game. But the AD gives more last hit strength so its easier for you.

HeartlessXiao

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePr0digy View Post
AD carries are squishy by nature, they need the extra help in lane. Also if you build defense you deal like no damage, so let the9 defensive masteries and the armor seals and MR glyphs help make up for that lack of innate tankyness so you can put off your defensive items till later in the game.
Who goes 9 into defense on carries? All of them have mana problems and like increased buff duration.

That said, I would take armor penetration marks instead of attack damage marks if you are planning to use the page for top lane bruisers as well. They have higher base damage and generally no problem with last hitting, so the extra bit of damage from harass helps a lot more. Armor penetration marks also do more damage to jungle creeps if you are going a bruiser in the jungle.

Also, I often swap out the mr glyphs for mana regeneration flat/ per level depending on matchups/ the champion i'm using. Many AD champions have magic damage early on, so it doesn't really matter in some matchups.

540howdy

03-12-2012

Thanks you two, that helped a lot

Time to get started on that AD page.

Healcannon

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlessXiao View Post
Who goes 9 into defense on carries? All of them have mana problems and like increased buff duration.

That said, I would swap out armor penetration marks instead of attack damage marks if you are planning to use the page for top lane bruisers as well.
umm if you are going top with it you want armor pent even more as bruisers pack more armor early on and build armor sooner then they do bot lane making armor pent >> ad....

and with ad carries usually not building very much armor and mr at all the 9 in defense along with the armor and mr runes is what helps keep them alive through mid and early game. Lates all about positioning, you are gonna die if they catch you either way. The most i see carries build is qss and thats only good players who can use it correctly.

edit: read it wrong sue me.

HeartlessXiao

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebroid View Post
umm if you are going top with it you want armor pent even more as bruisers pack more armor early on and build armor sooner then they do bot lane making armor pent >> ad....

thanks for agreeing with me

and with ad carries usually not building very much armor and mr at all the 9 in defense along with the armor and mr runes is what helps keep them alive through mid and early game. Lates all about positioning, you are gonna die if they catch you either way. The most i see carries build is qss and thats only good players who can use it correctly.

having mana for trading with spells/ increased buff duration>>> the little bit of armor/ mr/ health you get

HeartlessXiao

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosX1 View Post
Having too much flat Armor Penetration then getting a Last Whisper makes % armor penetration worth less since % ArPen is calculated last.
However you calculate it, the armor penetration will be doing more damage than the +9 flat AD late game, even with 46% armor penetration.

ChaosX1

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlessXiao View Post

That said, I would take armor penetration marks instead of attack damage marks if you are planning to use the page for top lane bruisers as well. They have higher base damage and general no problem with last hitting, so the extra bit of damage from harass helps a lot more. Armor penetration marks also do more damage to jungle creeps if you are going a bruiser in the jungle.

Also, I often swap out the glyphs for mana regeneration flat/ per level depending on matchups/ the champion i'm using.
9 in defense is good for some carries. Other carries spec into utility.

On Corki, since I go 23 in offense to take % MPen mastery, the 7 points go great in Utility because it gives me the Mana Regen and Mana Mastery (last point just goes in the Flash mastery).

On Ezreal, 21/0/9 or 23/0/7 would also probably be better even though 21/9/0 isn't terrible.

On Caitlyn since you have 650 range, Defense isn't as necessary.

On Tristana, 9 in Defense is great because you're often going to be trading blows or trying to trade blows (you have decent trading power), especially when you jump in for the burst. You don't spam Rocket Jump or Buster Shot and Explosive Shot has a fair mana cost (50/60 mana since you only take 2 ranks of it before looking at it again).

On Graves, 9 in Defense synergizes with his passive and as long as you don't use Buckshot or Smokescreen every time it's up (unless you're with Soraka, then whatever), you shouldn't have that much need of Utility.

I think Vayne takes 9 in Defense because her early game is pretty bad already and she isn't super mana hungry from my experience. But I'm a garbage Vayne so...

Kog'Maw, I'd probably go 23/0/7 but I don't own him so...

Ashe should do fine with either but I think Utility is better for her because it lets her use Volley more and her range is good.

You also don't end up with Red Buff (and only Corki, Ez, and Kog'Maw sometimes get access to Blue Buff) every game as an AD carry. Sometimes it's better to give it to a bruiser. In premades, sure you can spec 9 in Utility for every carry just for the sake of buffs and some mana help, but in Solo Queue at least it might be more worthwhile to just go Defense.