(Noob) A couple of ELO questions...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lolcakes

03-10-2012

Hey guys,

1. Does the ELO rating system follow the same deviations as the chess system i.e. a difference of 400 ELO means that one is ten times better than the other?

2. Does everyone on the team gain/lose the same ELO?

3. In terms of ELO fluctuation, and the computer's assessment of which team is better, is duo queuing any different from solo queuing?

Thanks in advance.

Selcopa

03-10-2012

1: Due to the vast range of skill that can be aquired, a 400 ELO difference doesn't necessarily mean he is 10 times better then someone else.

What it does suggest is that the player 400 ELO higher has a wider range of champions they are skill with. Generally more mechanically skilled and overall better. 400 ELO does not garuntee that a player 400 points higher is going to beat somebody with a champion they've never played, when their opponent is playing their best champion.

A team where the average ELO is 400 points higher than the enemy ELO is generally always going to beat the lower team 95% of the time or more.

2:No, placement matches, duo queues, but generally it all comes down to a range between 11-14 ELO gain/lost per match.

3: The computer weighs the ELO in favor to the higher ELO player, a 1k player and 1500 player duoing is more likely to win up with a 1300+ group to be queued with

carry4food

03-10-2012

Don't respect soloq elo rating, its all about 5v5 if your goal is to be competitive, solo q is just old school pub dota reason being smurfs, different roles (if a person gets to 1500 elo by solo kennen but then decides to play jungle soraka) you've got 'elo' hell.

I've been 1200-1375 elo for awhile and some games I get autoattackers on my team some games I get people who don't even know what leashing is, other games I could have a 2k elo smurf doing a stomp for an ez win....you just don't know and that's elo hell

Selcopa

03-11-2012

Players that criticize solo queue generally are players who don't do well at it.

At a certain point, Solo queue rating doesn't really matter but this around 1900-2k elo, at that level solo queue stops being able to show that you are a better 'team player' then other people at the ELO, however its still pretty clear that a 1900 is going to stomp on a 1600 any day of the week. Where as one 1900 might be far superior in arranged 5's compared to solo queue 2k boss

I Barricade I

03-12-2012

Neither of these responses really answers the questions lol.

1. I'm assuming your question is empirical and not opinionated. (e.g. if we were discussing earthquake magnitude, a 6 is 10 times greater than a 5). I'm unsure as to the exact elo comparison but i do know it is the same multiple as the one used in chess. If that is 10x per 400 elo, then yes its the same.

2. No, in the same match different players on the same winning (or losing) team can recieve different gain amounts, affected by comparitive elo to team members, opponents, # of games played, duo vs. solo, elo spread on the team, etc.

3.Yes it is different, there is a penalty of comparitive elo when it searches for teams, the disadvantage in team elo going to the team with the duo (hence people being upset when they find they have a duo on their team). Also, elo gain will be lower for the higher elo'd duo player, and higher for the lower elo'd duo player. (1 point typically, but up to 6 points depending on the elo spread of the duo queue). Also, i believe at 250 point spread in a duo queue, you both gain 6 and lose16 (as compared to the typical 13 and 12).

@Selcopa - None of your 3 answers was accurate.

@carry4food - Why even post here? you didnt answer any of his questions and he obviously wasnt asking for competitive reasons, but rather for a better understanding of the elo system. Also fyi, elo is used for 5v5 too Stop whining about elo hell.