How do you CS better?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jkaplan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2012

Hey guys. I'm relatively new to LoL, been playing for about two months now and just hit level 30 a few days ago. I played some dota 2 beta before getting into LoL but I'm pretty new to Moba in general, only played dota 2 for about two months as well.

Anyway, I'm a competitive gamer, played a lot of high level RTS and I would really like to be able to play LoL competitively as I enjoy the game a lot, but I seem to have hit somewhat of a wall in terms of csing. I'm 1400 in ranked right now (only played about 20 games so far though) and I'm noticing that I just can't keep up in cs when i play an ad carry or mid. My jungling is strong, by far my strongest position, so I try to play it the most, but I want to get better at laning as well.

So I'm wondering if you guys have any tips as to how to CS better. I know my mouse control isn't top notch right now, I misclick sometimes and I'm probably not very fast. Is it just practice makes perfect thing? I feel like from when I started playing moba to about 200 games in I was improving steadily but since then it seems like I haven't improved much at all or perhaps its just really gradual... Not sure what to do, I'm usually behind about 50 cs against a good laning opponent around the 20 minute mark but I do well in terms of kills, landing skillshots etc, even if I get ahead in kills I still end up behind in cs.

Selcopa

03-10-2012

There's a good chance you are prioritizing harassment over CSing, that's a bad thing. Back off on harassment to make you aren't missing any cs, only harass when none of the minions are near death.

Apart from making sure you properly balanced CS over harassment, there isn't really a 'tip' to CSing, its a skill acquired over time, play more and just keep practicing it.

Practicing against bots might help. Or finding someone to balance the lane with you. The easiest champs to get your fundamental CS skills down for each lane IMO are going to be

Corki/Caitlyn(Dorans Blade helps a ton)
Annie/Brand
Jarvan/Gangplank/ChoGath

All of these champions have a very easy time CSing, alot of people suggest practice champions who are difficult to CS with, I suggest starting out with easy champions, once you can hit 90% of the minions, try some more difficult ones

Anivia/LeBlanc
Tristana/KogMaw
Nidalee,Udyr(in Turtle)

Like I said its a skill you develop over time, there's no trick to instantly make you hit 90% of CS, just keep playing and youll get better.

IAmJema

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2012

ummm mid top and bot all have different skill lvls and strats of CSing i'll try and break it down for you as simple as possible

Bot>both AD carrys are pretty much afk farming while its the supports job to do the main harass and stop the opponent to get CS. your best bet here is if your trying to practice pick someone like caitlyn run flat ad quints and marks. this will give you a much higher range of dmg to not miss CS.

Mid>probably the easiest place to CS as most mid champs get blue and have 2-3 AoE spells (brand, cass, sion) that just clears the waves, you'll see a huge difference in cs from guys like that and people like ryze and LB will naturally have lower cs as it actually requires pure last hitting skill. the trick to being good at mid csing is knowing how to just purely last hit without clearing and saving your cool downs for opponent harassing. but once you get blue you can just massively clear but play those 3 i suggested until you get better at last hitting

top> now this is the trickiest because its all about counter pick and early game for bruiser top. You have 1 of 2 ways this is going to turn out EVERY time. your either going to come to a stale mate because your both tanky as hell with extremely high sustain and very little dmg there its all about just last hitting. but the second way is if you have a huge counter pick like a poppy against gp. (high burst with gap closer) if poppy gets an advantage he'll have whats called "free farm" where he zones the gp out and just freely walks around csing what he wants this is what you want to avoid happening to you in top lane because the cs charts will be heavily one sided and thats the idea behind top lane is to get free farm and its probably the heaviest lane of skill because its generally left alone being so far from dragon and out of the junglers reach. its generally just up to you to be better than them.

keep in mind these are just the current meta's and that with new champions the meta will change. right now we're moving away from heavy tanks going to and putting more high dmg top (poppy/fiora) so the strategies are going to change but just keep in mind the meta and how you should be changing the your harass style from lane to lane hope this helps a little

1313Jr1313

03-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaplannig View Post
Hey guys. I'm relatively new to LoL, been playing for about two months now and just hit level 30 a few days ago. I played some dota 2 beta before getting into LoL but I'm pretty new to Moba in general, only played dota 2 for about two months as well.

Anyway, I'm a competitive gamer, played a lot of high level RTS and I would really like to be able to play LoL competitively as I enjoy the game a lot, but I seem to have hit somewhat of a wall in terms of csing. I'm 1400 in ranked right now (only played about 20 games so far though) and I'm noticing that I just can't keep up in cs when i play an ad carry or mid. My jungling is strong, by far my strongest position, so I try to play it the most, but I want to get better at laning as well.

So I'm wondering if you guys have any tips as to how to CS better. I know my mouse control isn't top notch right now, I misclick sometimes and I'm probably not very fast. Is it just practice makes perfect thing? I feel like from when I started playing moba to about 200 games in I was improving steadily but since then it seems like I haven't improved much at all or perhaps its just really gradual... Not sure what to do, I'm usually behind about 50 cs against a good laning opponent around the 20 minute mark but I do well in terms of kills, landing skillshots etc, even if I get ahead in kills I still end up behind in cs.
enter a custom game as ad karthus and only last hit with autoattacks. do this for about 5-10 games (the first 10 minutes are really the only part that matters so feel free to leave the custom game after that) then do it as ad soraka for a few games. then do one or two as graves or some other ad carry that's meant to be an ad carry and look at how well you do. remember, the last hit is the only one that matters, so focus on just that one. a good rule to use starting out is "one attack per minion." if you don't get the kill on the minion then so be it. remember, 12.5*minutes in game-19=perfect minion score. try to get close to that.

sucks2Bme

03-11-2012

the best champ to learn how to cs with is veigar.

Yanzina

03-12-2012

idk if this really helps to much. But grab a buddy that plays and go mid. Make it a game. The person with the higher CS wins. play it as you would normally play. Make it a compitition. ( Me and a Guildie from WoW bet gold) anything works, try and find someone who is better than you.
You can force out the lane/ kill them and back whenever.

Remember, you want to hit them low. not at half-health.
Csing isn't just about gold. It controlls the lane too.

Also, AP Yi is quite broken for CS. I was at 200 CS at 20 minutes or pretty **** close

Snagulus

03-12-2012

The Dota AI map was fantastic for practicing CS, the bots were near-perfect at it. A lot of the skills don't translate to LoL since denying isn't possible, but it was excellent training on learning animations/canceling, projectile speed, and health timing. I have no idea if its still maintained, but if you have a copy of wc3 it might be worth looking into.

Maybe the coming bot update will include some improvements in this area. They might become useful for something other than a tutorial.

Amaltron

03-13-2012

Make a custom game with no bots. Try and last hit perfectly without any third-party influences. Afterwards, if you can perfect that, then add bots and see if you can maintain that while harassing. Set some possible goals for yourself.

Phale

03-14-2012

The art of cs...there are things experienced players know after playing for quite awhile...first off you need all the hp bars visible, so you know when to last hit minions obviously...you also have to get used to to the feel of your champions basic auto atk TRAVEL speed...and another bonus experienced players take advantage of is when enemy minions reach their allied towers... It takes 1 turret atk to get a caster minion to low hp, and it takes 2 turret auto atks on the enemy melee minions...when harassing you only want to harass just enough so they don't bully you as your last hitting...ur lane partner should walk near you as intimidation so they don't hit u so easily when u walk up to last hit a minion...while your harassing to perhaps eat up some time as u wait for a minions hp to go down, u should always be aware of minions hp...also a nice thing some ppl use to last hit really easy is to get flat ad runes...and spec into the 4 bonus dmg and +3 flat ad in the offense mastery...also to make last hitting easier you can press the S key to stop, this allows ur champion to cease fire and movement. also it depends wat kind of ad ranged champion your using to last hit...ur cs could be low becuz ur letting yourself get ZONED by the enemy team in lane...most ad ranged champs r squishy so u have to have some kind of intimidation...whether its boots to out-poke them or some hp,hp pots so they know harassing u might not be worth it if u exchange equal harass all the time...

superiored

03-14-2012

shut up and play