Amumu: AP/Tank or Full Tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hallucinate

Recruiter

07-31-2010

Hi all just a quick question.

Been trying to get Amumu's builds down to a fine point and just a bit curious what pathway is best used for ranked/normal games.

I understand you do build him tank, but do people often go AP/Tank build or a full on tank build? What I mean by this is, is it often viable to buy items such as Rod of Ages or Rylei's Scepter with the usual tank items like Randuin's Omen, Sunfire, Guardians (making you slightly more squishier) or is it better just to focus straightly on tanking including going for aegis first then randuins and GA sunfire etc?

Minrog

07-31-2010

I like to go with either a Rod of Ages or a Rylai's, but not both. I stack in Sunfires or MR tanking gear after, depending on the enemy comp. The slow from Rylai's isn't super with Amumu because his Despair only procs the 15% reduction.

Dorfungulf

07-31-2010

My core build pretty much has boiled down to this. I have found that an early rod of ages is game changing, while defensive items really do not allow you to survive that much longer early game, as your low HP is a disadvantage. Additionally, your defensive build is only going to work against phys damage or magic damage, not both at the same time. So that early defensive item isnt that great, outside of HP stacking. Again,its pretty much dependant on your team makeup, and the opposing team. There are times i get FON as soon as possible, but its rare

1. Dorans shield + hp pot to start. usually i try to jungle.
2. Catalyst + boots 1
3. ROA + boots 2

As far as roa vs Rylai's its a no brainer in my book for most games. ROA gives mana, HP, AP, and gives bonus hp/mana over time. Rylai's gives HP, and AP only, plus a 15% slow. Only Amumu's Q skill uses the 35% slow.

ROA addresses almost all of amumu's issues early/mid game. If you really need snare grab lizard buff imo, if your carry/dps does not use it. The only time i really look at Rylais is if the team is heavy melee oriented. Additionally, i find that ROA allows me to spam my abilities much more then Rylai's or defensive items, which means people have to be concerned with me instead of ignoring me, as they tend to do with many tanks.

EvilVegan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel Aketchi View Post
Hi all just a quick question.

Been trying to get Amumu's builds down to a fine point and just a bit curious what pathway is best used for ranked/normal games.

I understand you do build him tank, but do people often go AP/Tank build or a full on tank build? What I mean by this is, is it often viable to buy items such as Rod of Ages or Rylei's Scepter with the usual tank items like Randuin's Omen, Sunfire, Guardians (making you slightly more squishier) or is it better just to focus straightly on tanking including going for aegis first then randuins and GA sunfire etc?
I was thinking about trying this as well...

Sunfire: 450 HP and 40 damage per tick.
RoA/Rylai's: 400+ HP and +80 AP

80 AP, filtered through despair is .8 % of health. To be exactly the same they would need to have 5000 HP, but then factor in the slow and the bonus damage on other abilities, I think it would ultimately net higher.

I'll try it tonight... I've stacked 5 sunfires before, but only as a joke. It still worked though.... 200 dps + 2.7% of their hp? Boots of swiftness was the other item of course...

EchoRex

10-12-2010

AP Tank is pretty devastating currently.

An Abyssal/Sunfire with additional MPen itemization is dealing very good damage, while allowing you to have very solid defenses. Amumu's passive is a god send for getting on target and making them take true damage from your abilities (the key as to why his AoE DoT style damage output is so good).

Have seen quite a few people running maxed cool down pure tank builds though, and they haven't been dealing quite as much damage, but their CC is more capable by a bit and they are very, very hard to kill.

Either way will work, it just depends on what you personally like to play as on the damage output vs damage soak scale.

Soookayyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

i wouldnt go ap tank if your the only tank. it has its advantages, but your at this point more the off tank then the tank.

BlazinHaze

10-12-2010

I don't go AP on Ammumu because the returns are so low. You have to exceed 100AP before it has any effect on Despair. I'd rather build survivability items and add Sunfire Capes for additional damage.

Ammumu's range is very short, outside his bandage, so you are almost guranteed to take a few hits before you get in range. Even with AP, his damage is not burst-y, so you will need the survivability to outlast your opponent.

FireFa11

10-12-2010

Rush Aegis.
Cloth armor from jungling turns into Aegis.
Sunfire or Abysmal is alright later on.

EchoRex

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinHaze View Post
I don't go AP on Ammumu because the returns are so low. You have to exceed 100AP before it has any effect on Despair. I'd rather build survivability items and add Sunfire Capes for additional damage.
AP affects Despair before 100, it just doesn't show non-integer numbers, so the decimal point numbers aren't shown in the tool tip.

BlazinHaze

10-12-2010

Til ^

I've tried AP/Survivability builds, and I wasn't impressed. People fear Ammumu's ult, and will focus him down if they get the chance.

It's really the main reason I play Ammumu: He's the one tank that is regularly targeted FIRST in a teamfight.