21/9/0 or 9/21/0?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CrossbowFFS

07-31-2010

Hi, I've been playing LoL for 5 days now, really enjoy it, and now I'm thinking about which builds I should go for. I enjoy mostly Tryndamere and Xin Zhao because of the fact that Tryndamere is nearly invincible late-game and Xin Zhao is really good at single-champ killing. Vladimir is also really fun to play for me. So, which build do you reccomend? I AM NOT GOING TO GET 9/0/21 since I absolutely HATE the utility tree.

Riffraffselbow

07-31-2010

9/21/0 because it looks like my average score.

CrossbowFFS

07-31-2010

lol...

Sephirotica

Recruiter

07-31-2010

Well, 9/0/21 wont get you really far with Xin or Trynd.
For Trynd id recommend going defense till you reach +HP and dump rest into offense. Either that or 21/0/9 altho id go 21/9/0 if you dont have armor (or MR/HP) runes since you are meele and easy to harass early.
Same for Xin.

With Vlad id say go with +hp in defense and rest in offense.
Ofc, presuming you dont mind loosing XP from utility.

finalformeskimo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2010

8 21 1 for xin, with 4 in aspd in attack, and 1 in ghost

21 9 for tryn, nimbleness in defense

9 0 21 for vlad, cooldown for attack

these are just all out, if i went in personally i might end up with something odd.

CrossbowFFS

07-31-2010

mm, thanks guys. I kinda like 21/9/0 more because of the extra attack and Trynd and Vlad can heal themselves plus I rarely die in the late part of games. I've never heard of 8/21/1 though.. lol. Iunno about 9/0/21 though, I say most of the stuff in Utility is useless.

EDIT: BTW, if I put points into defense, should i get 2 x 2 armor and 2 x 2 magic resist or 3 of one and 1 of the other?

Slogra

07-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossbowFFS View Post
mm, thanks guys. I kinda like 21/9/0 more because of the extra attack and Trynd and Vlad can heal themselves plus I rarely die in the late part of games. I've never heard of 8/21/1 though.. lol. Iunno about 9/0/21 though, I say most of the stuff in Utility is useless.

EDIT: BTW, if I put points into defense, should i get 2 x 2 armor and 2 x 2 magic resist or 3 of one and 1 of the other?
Utility tends to be the best for caster Champions, so keep that in mind if you ever try any of those out. Vlad is tanky enough that you can try different builds with him.

2X2 or 3X1 or 1X3 will be about the same, so that's not really important. We're talking a difference of maybe 3-5 damage early game per hit. Also, Sephirotica mentioned defensive runes, and this is absolutely a good idea. Runes and masteries are meant mostly for early game bonuses, and Tryn and Xin are especially vulnerable to harassment early game, so consider a good balance with HP, MR and Armor runes along with Armor Penetration Marks for some offensive abilities.

finalformeskimo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossbowFFS View Post

vlads lack of mana does make alot of the utility tree somewhat pointless, but the fact that he isnt AD makes most of attack tree beyond archaic mastery useless, so 9/21 is probably best now that I think of it, but the utility tree has a ton of useful things, and shouldnt overlooked.

On my jungle amumu build i go 1/19/10

21 in a single area might not always be best.

CrossbowFFS

07-31-2010

So Utility tree is for mana users and defense is for tanks/melee?

xpsychedelico

07-31-2010

It really depends, defense can be used for ranged DPS characters who get focused as well. I run 0/21/9 on Sivir to give her extra staying power in teamfights, as her attack range is very short. It helps them make up for their squishiness. If you've seen a twitch running 21 defense and health runes... that's a real pain to kill.

Most Melee champs get pretty good stat gains, so I don't think they benefit as much from the defense tree compared to a ranged DPS.

The Utility tree isn't as crucial to max out as the defense and offense, as the bonus isn't as great. On casters I tend to like getting 15% magic pen in offense, strength of spirit in defense, and everything else is put into utility. The extra EXP gain in utility should not be overlooked, it often gives you a level advantage in the laning phase if someone doesn't have it (almost all do--so you end up a lower level instead).