Just looking for some Champ recommendations.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doc Raleigh

07-04-2013

Hey, I'm pretty new. I've been playing about a week, and I'm level eight.

I'm at such a low level of play that I'm pretty sure who I'm playing doesn't really matter, but I've found that I really enjoyed Renekton, and I went ahead and bought Tryndamere, who's just as fun. I realize I'm going to have to diversify at one point, but I guess getting better with more ADC champs will at least give me one thing to hinge upon for some time.

IP doesn't matter, I've no preconceptions. Anything that has that same "feel", or might be better tailored to what I'm attempting to accomplish. I don't know if my build is awful, but I'm usually starting with Phantom Dancers, and I try to accrue as much attack speed and crit chance as possible. What other champions (should actually) benefit from that kind of mentality and similar items?

Magus Crow

07-04-2013

Most of the ranged carries like both attack speed and crit chance. Gangplank also benefits from a high crit chance as his parley can crit as well.

As for your builds it is usually best to build a bit of damage before going into attack speed. Phantom Dancer is usually a second or third item choice, not a first. Get that Infinity Edge built first to give your attacks a bit of power behind them (and an even stronger crit damage) and then nab your PD.

greggoeT

07-04-2013

I know that my favorite adc is Miss Fortune. Ashe is also very fun. They're pretty easy to learn and aren't ridiculously priced.

Also, you shouldn't rush attack speed. On most adcs, I rush bloodthirster. Infinity Edge is also a viable first item. PD shouldn't be the first item that you buy.

Coulson

07-04-2013

Well, I must warn you before you become accustomed to building Phantom Dancer as your first major item: Please don't build attack speed items until you have at least one AD item. To give you a simple comparison of the damage, let's just assume that 100 is your base damage, and 1.0 is your base attack speed:

- Phantom Dancer (50% attack speed): 1.0 x 50% = 1.5 so over 4 seconds, you attack 6 times, dealing 100 x 6 = 600 damage
- Bloodthirster (100 AD): 1.0 so over 4 seconds, you attack 4 times, dealing (100+100) x 4 = 800

As you can see, Bloodthirster does significantly more damage. And here's the kicker: No champion has a base attack speed higher than 0.7 and PD multiplies from the base speed. So the number skews even more towards AD items like Bloodthirster (attack speed items calculate off of base attack speed, the speed you see at Level 1 with no items, passives and runes). Now the comparison is a bit unfair because PD costs less than BT, but the cost difference is 400 gold. It's much better to save up that gold.

I'm sorry I'm slamming down these numbers hard, it's nothing personal. It's just that I've seen so many people rush PD first and then struggle to deal damage and then get more attack speed items, and still struggle to deal damage. It's a mindset that one needs to break out of, if one wants to improve in the game.

Anywho, as Magus Crow said, most ADCs (well in fact, all ADCs) benefit from AS and crit. It's just that gold doesn't come easily so you really have no room for AS items in early game. However, there IS one carry who is able to build attack speed first and still be useful, and that's Vayne. This is only possible IF AND ONLY IF you really really really know the champion in and out, and have the necessary mechanic to cover her weaknesses, as well as have a support who can keep you alive. So yeah, even with Vayne, it's not a great idea to rush AS/crit item like PD first. I only know that Vayne CAN get away with PD rush, because in Season 2 Finals, the ADC of winning team (Bebe) rushed PD on Vayne in all the games he played. But that was because he was one of the best ADCs in the game and he had a Nunu support.

Doc Raleigh

07-04-2013

Thanks for the clarity folks. Was thinking Infinity Edge might be better to start out with, and the numbers seem to verify that.

JungHai0

07-05-2013

Most ADC's benefit from an early IE. Some, like Tristana I like to rush IE on them because of how important it is. If you want another top laner that uses fury I think Shyvana can top lane at lower levels. However, she is not that good at the moment.

Dr Vexx

07-05-2013

Ziggs. He is so much fun to play. A very good Apc with a long range and awesome combos. Can bottom or mid. Cool looking, cool sounding, not played a lot, decent in all phases of the game.

DrThunderDoom

07-05-2013

A really fun ADC that I've enjoyed is Draven, he has built in mobility and CC. He also benefits from PD (It allows you to move through units which lets you catch your axes easier as well as catching running targets)

One of my favorite top laners is Singed because he allows for balls to the wall plays with his ult, a close second would be Riven (mobility and stun and great scaling)

I Smited Nexus

07-05-2013

I really enjoy Fiora, she's a very good champion for new players.

She's strong, so you don't have damage issues, her build is flexible, so you learn how to build when you have to, teaches you to be careful, to not rely on escapes and cc, to learn how to have map awareness since you're vulnerable to ganks, her ult teaches you when to engage and disengage, and survivability.

Although, this champion is indeed unviable in higher level play (like Silver and onward) -- but very good in low level.