Dota 2 vs. LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nerokyn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2012

DOTA and LoL feel SO different. It's hard to compare them :s

Who says you have to play one, anyways? I have DOTA 2, I go into premades with friends who play it once a week or so but that's it. It's a good game but it gets pretty old quick, LoL is a game I can play for hours on end without getting sick of it.

Dotislav Pro

10-05-2012

Dota is not for everyone ^^. U need years to learn to play basics of dota and to become a normal player. Requires thinking more then lol dose, better last hitting / deny-ing. Knowing every hero is crucial because they are so unique and u may end up being dead if u underestimate some of them like the two-headed monster or real troll and many more (all) . If u become really good in dota u might be able to win game alone and its pretty fun to be able to carry urself. Learning dota requires time and desire, fresh player's soul that is eager to learn and have real fun in it. Good Luck .

Ins0mn1a

02-12-2013

The fact that dota 2 is more complex makes the game more fun.LoL is easier and almost every idiot can learn to play it,that's why it's so popular.Every hero in dota is really unique,unlike lol,and it really takes some time to learn him.I had no trouble learning a hero in lol cause most of them have the same mechanics,where in dota it's not like that.Lot's of the heroes are item dependent which makes the build a really important part of the game.You can't just have flash from lvl 1.Farming is harder and the items are more expensive.
The lore of dota is way cooler than lol.No one in lol gives a **** about the lore or knows something about it , in dota if you played warcraft you'll know it's a whole universe.
Another thing are the abilities.You have more variable abilities in dota that you can't see in lol.Invisibility or summoning are pretty interesting.In lol summons or invisibility don't play such a role,and only a few champions have those abilities that are almost useless cause of the low duration and the oracle's elixir you can buy whenever you want (gem has cd).You can use trees to your advantage,use creeps to block someone and etc.
And last,lol is a really unbalanced game,even if you don't feed someone and pawn his ass, he could still kick your ass really hard later just because he's op.If you feed someone in dota it's probably gone be a bg.
In my opinion dota is better because it's a more tactical and complex game.

Unbeatabledeath

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus the Friend View Post
I make it a point to never read any "X vs LoL" threads.
BUT YOU DO COME INTO THE THREAD AND SAY THAT........IDIOT.......Anyways i recently started playing dota 2 and seriously its like 1000 time better......... The only people who qq on dota 2 are noobs who sucks and cant play........ seriously LOVE it how i can carry a game alone or be able to leave a game after 5 min if someone DC........can play every champion........and the BEST dont have to listen to people ****.....mostly people in DOTA 2 play the game and thats it........no qq about there life or you suck feeder or other ****....Also LOL gets old realllllly realllllly FAST......... seriously is so freaking simple that well dummies play it most of the time on the other hand dota is so complex with its jungling to laning to late game fights to HEROS....just makes the game worthwhile

smurfette2000

02-13-2013

In a year or two the community of dota will worse. Due to it growing and a meta will form. It's natural because a meta is just the most efficient way to play and eventually someone will find it.

Phonike the 2nd

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaininald View Post
I've recently burned out on too much frustrating games of LoL and also acquired a Dota 2 beta key about the same time. Having played literally thousands of games of each (Dota 1, not 2...but they're more or less the same), I honestly think Dota is a significantly better game. I've been debating this with some friends who are still hooked on LoL, and they can't really refute the points I make.

Summoner Spells
LoL obviously has them, Dota doesn't. I will admit, when I first started playing LoL coming from Dota/HoN, I was intrigued by them and thought it was pretty cool. After playing a few hundred games, I realize how terrible they were for the flow of gameplay.

Flash is the worst offender of them all. It's a crutch for bad gameplay. If you're caught out of position in Dota, you have a very high likelihood of dying. In LoL, you Flash to safety. Flash also makes it fairly difficult to gank lanes, creating the passive farmville type gameplay that a lot of players often complain about.

Ganking vs. Farming
In LoL, the mid player leaving lane to gank is actually quite a bad idea most of the time. A kill is worth about 15 minions. When you leave the lane, your opponent will likely farm more gold than you'll get *IF* you get a kill at all. If you fail to get a kill, this puts you way behind. Again, this kind of gameplay discourages ganking and encourages 30-40 minute farm sessions.

In Dota, it's worth it to leave mid and gank for several reasons. First off, you have a better chance of pulling off the gank successfully due to the lack of Flash. Second, you gain a good amount of XP from ganks that makes them worth it. Third, not only do you gain gold for killing the enemy but you cause the dead player to lose gold. Dota's style of gameplay is a lot more interesting to both play and watch at a competitive level.

Hero/Champion Design
Riot has explicitly stated they don't want to make their champions too complex and complicated, like how some Dota heroes can be (Invoker for example...one hero having 10 spells but having such a high skill cap). The result of this is the same tanky DPS with a gap closer and movement speed buff being released every two weeks.

Game Features
Dota 2 has built in voice chat, which some will hate because it occasionally gets abused (I've never had to mute anyone in 20 games so far), but it's a great feature to have nevertheless. One of the most interesting features is the ability to watch live games going on at any time. If your friend is in a match, you can hop right in and spectate with a 1-2 minute delay.

Dota Lacks a Metagame
This is quite possibly one of my favorite things about Dota. Any hero can lane anywhere, period. In League of Legends it's "We must have AP mid, ranged and support bottom, jungler and tanky DPS top". That is such terrible game design and very boring to play.

4v5's Are Not Auto-Losses
In LoL, if someone on your team disconnects there's a 99% chance you're going to lose the game. I've won a small handful of 4v5's myself, but that's because it was four very good players against some very bad players. If player skill is equal, a 4v5 is not winnable in LoL whereas in Dota it is.

Better Rating System
Since we just mentioned 4v5's, in League of Legends, when you lose a game even shorthanded you lose the full amount of rating. In Dota, the amount of rating gained/lost changes on the fly if the number of teammates changes in the game.

For example, if you were going to lose or gain 15 in an even match, and then a teammate disconnects and never comes back, you'll only lose 5 or so for the loss. If you manage to pull off a shorthanded win, you'll gain 25. This system doesn't punish you when it's not your fault, and rewards you for good games and teamwork.

Conclusion
League of Legends is to the MOBA genre as World of Warcraft is to MMORPGs. It's casual, accessible and fairly easy to play. This is why LoL will likely always have a larger player base, but it doesn't mean it's the better game.

I've had my say, I'm curious to hear from those still enjoying LoL why they think it's a better game. Everyone I've met that says LoL is better simply isn't good at Dota and has no valid reasons for liking it more.
I don't feel like writing a book on this so I will keep it short. Without LoL there would be no DotA 2 and without DotA there would be no LoL. Neither one is better than the other and really what it comes down to is most of us don't want to take the time to learn another 100 champions and start over once again. It's not the complexity of the champion but instead the complexity of the person controlling that champion. And lets not forget it is much more common for a Dota hero to have multiple passives and 2 active abilities so lets not misrepresent the champ selection. I like both games and both have there strengths when I get bored of one I play the other. When lining the 2 up the thing that is clear is that there is no declared winner among them. Most often it comes down to what your friends are playing and the knowledge and time you have already invested in the game that determines if people stay with lol or jump to dota.

Nisshoku1729

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfette2000 View Post
In a year or two the community of dota will worse. Due to it growing and a meta will form. It's natural because a meta is just the most efficient way to play and eventually someone will find it.
You do understand that dota is the older game right? Even after the several years it has on LoL it hasn't settled into even a pseudo-stable metagame. Just these past three weeks we've seen a dramatic surge in aggressive trilanes.

Gangplankbanging

03-03-2014

How to have fun in dota 2.

Pick Pudge, go middle and buy a bottle. Nothing in league can even compare.

*Edit* Another improvement is you can cast a bunch of abilities on your own team, IE Blitzcrank can hook a teammate to save them.

RabiDNooB

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenseiSan View Post
Did you play easy mode a lot?

I'll give you Lycan. But Mortred? REALLY? You complain about the hero that has to farm for 30 minutes, and needs more than 10k gold worth of items to start dealing those xXx 420 MLG n0sc0pe ~1500~ dmg kritz.

Mortred has a 44% winrate, which would indicate that she's actually underpowered if anything. If you can't counter Mortred and actually list her as an overpowered hero, I sincerely question the rest of your 'insight'.

Everything has its counters in Dota, though it's not as simple as building magic res vs AP and armor vs AD. Why not just build a Blademail (=100% damage return) against a 'full build' mortred and see how she handles her own crits. Or use a Ghost Scepter (several seconds of physical immunity).

Also, saying that there are only 3 or 4 supporting items in Dota is so ridiculously wrong: what about Urn of Shadows, Force Staff, Ghost Scepter, Drum of Endurance, Eul's Scepter of Divinity, Scythe of Vyse, Rod of Atos, Medallion of Courage, Mekansm or Pipe of Insight? Also, keep in mind that these are all items with active effects.

Regarding 'mage' heroes being able to carry, let's just say that Outworld Destroyer carries much much harder than any LoL AP carry. Oh, and you don't exactly need AP when buying Dagon and Aghanims (on Lina for example) gives you 1100 additional burst damage, which is better scaling than most so-called 'AP Carries' in LoL.

A semi-carry is a pretty well established term that would apply to a lot of typical solo mid heroes with decent scaling (less than a hard carry though) but also strong early-midgame power. Examples would be Mirana, Storm Spirit, Nevermore and Gyrocopter, though there's a lot more.

actually i think gyro and nevermore could be considered hard carries depending on how u build them.

better examples of semi carries would be venomancer, vengeful spirit, juggernaut(again depending on the items u build)

RabiDNooB

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfette2000 View Post

dota has been out for almost 10 years now? if a meta was going to be found by some one. it would have been found already in the past 5-6 years there is a meta tho. there is more than 1 actually.