Dota 2 vs. LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Insidious Ghost

04-03-2012

I like Dota2, to me it just feels like an improved version of its predecessor by utilizing better graphics and interface. Although, I don't think I will play Dota2 more than LoL due to the fact that I've poured way too much time and money into LoL just to leave it in the dust. I'll just play both. Frankly I don't see why other people just do the same. They are pretty different in terms of style of gameplay for the genre. I guess it's safe to say that LoL is more casual and forgiving in gameplay (since there are so many escapes), whereas in Dota2, you are in deep trouble if caught out of position with no flash escape making a better choice for the hardcore gamers who focus on strategy and positioning.

WillYouLaugh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2012

interesting

Gamer Rage

04-11-2012

You can't know which game is better unless you set a criteria for what better actually means.

League of Legends is a more casual and user friendly game than DotA is with a majority it's mechanics more cater toward a more teamfight based game... Many mechanics work toward balancing the power difference of both sides such as the inability to deny, the raise in bounty when killing, the drop in bounty when killed, ad/ap system, and the increase in mana type in comparison to it's predecessor dota. The map is also smaller and with the help of the back button makes it very difficult for a person to be too out of position for a teamfight. Respawning of raxes which is unique to LoL allows for long drawn out games where pushing is a less legitimate strat and often forces some sort of team confrontation.

DotA on the other hand is kind of like chess. Each hero is in LoL terms, "OP" but only if played well. I assume many of the LoL community have at one time or another heard the complaint that one hero in DotA can crush a whole team? That is true, but again, only if played well. Unlike the scaling in LoL, DotA has 25max levels and items are incredibly overpowered, with not only stat bonuses but both passive and active skills such as a 3.5sec stun+armor removal or +90dmg & 25% to crit for 250% dmg. I also assume that most of you have heard about denying, and death resulting in a loss of gold in addition to the whole AP does not scale in DotA period, but instead starts out strong. This ultimately means the APs that do not scale, although cannot become gods late in the game, have the power to decide who does, by means of babysitting and ganking. DotA also doesn't care all too much about balancing power because all the heroes are balanced and it's up to the players to keep each other's power in check. Unlike LoL there are also alternate methods of victory in DotA because the raxes do not respawn, the focus of the game is about finding a way to destroy the enemy base rather than buying power. This is possible because of the enlarged map along with no free teleports allowing for out of position situations. The map of DotA unlike LoL is infact all fair game and bushes are replaced by shadows and fog of war. Because of all this, there are more pressure on the player's awareness and skill level and therefor it is much more competitive than that of LoL. I am not saying that LoL is not competitive, simply that LoL is created to be casual.

Both games are fun but both games are also different and even designed for different people. DotA has more to offer, but is more always better? Anybody here can probably name a game that has more to offer than maplestory or farmville, but are they better? And if so please tell the millions of dedicated MS and Farmville players that their sense of fun is warped because your opinion is the right one. (I haven't played Maple since beta and I'm sorry of that's no longer the case). I've been in a game of dota where a team of 20kills won against a team with 50kills. Yes in DotA 1 guy can take down a team of 5 but DotA isn't about power, it's about finding a way to win, it's about strategizing. So for all the LoL players that don't understand DotA and claim that it's not a team game, it takes much more to strategize a team effort than to run in with 5 people. Both games requires teamwork, just different types of it. So what game is better? Depends on the person. Finally I apologize for comparing LoL to MS, but you guys know it's true. MS is not a bad game, just different. So to conclude, LoL is more casual and statistics have shown that casual games have been pretty successful so it is likely LoL will have a higher player base than that of DotA, but is it better? That is a whole different question all together.

Edit : For those who worship your Runes & Masteries, please refer to Extra Creditz Skinner Box & Extra Creditz Choice and Conflict. Both can be found on youtube and I'll link them below. It's basic psycology and you guys need to understand this to even begin to grasp what a good game is. In DotA there are no runes and masteries meaning the game begins at game start meaning choices are made in response to other's choices. DotA is based vastly on choices, but LoL from it's runes, masteries, ap/ad system, and many other mechanics are calculation based. DotA is designed around choices, LoL is designed around skinner boxing and calculations. Then again, most people like cookie cutter builds as it's more casual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWtvrPTbQ_c Skinner Box
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8fVtKyYxY Choice and Conflict

Please at the very least understand what makes a good game before running around arguing with people what games a good based on your feelings, that's what causes people to fly planes in buildings.

ShootingCamels

04-11-2012

Just wondering, does Dota have a tribunal system?

ChoppazAndDakka

04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingCamels View Post
Just wondering, does Dota have a tribunal system?
You can report players after a game. You are limited on how many you can send a week (I think it's 10 per week, never really report). You choose how they were being abusive (text abuse, voice abuse, intentional feeding, using abilities to help enemies), and can leave more details. They will then investigate, and from what I hear if someone you reported is punished they send you a message letting you know. I've heard of being muted from talking or having your access revoked, depending on the offense. They are taking it seriously.

NBK SD

07-03-2012

Hi. I used to play Dota for about 5 years. Now I'm stuck with LoL, but I also tried Dota 2 out...so I think, I have a good overall view about Dota vs LoL.

First of all, Dota is an old game and doesn't really have much options. Many heroes do the same and there not so much combos in the game. Dota 2 didn't impress me much because it's just a better version of Dota 1 but the gameplay has almost no changes.

You guys mentioned the Summoner Spells at LoL and that they are terrible for the gameplay.
I feel like Summoner Spells are all those "OP" items Dota has, for example:
Flash = Kelen's Dagger
Heal = Mechansm
Ghost = Phase Boots
Exhaust = Diffusal Blade
etc.
So what I wanna say is that there's no point in complaining about Summoner Spells because they exist also in Dota, in another way...Plus, EVERY player has/can use Summoner Spells, so it doesn't really make the gameplay bad.

Then there is the "FARMING" issue in LoL. Making farming important is good because in early games that's what decides who will win the lane. On the other hand in Dota you can have 50 cs more than your enemy and he still rapes you.
Also dening creeps in dota slows the gameplay down and there are heroes/champions who can do that a lot easier than others.

Also, Dota is a very unbalanced game. For example, there some heroes who can snowball really easy when get fed. A full build Mortred dealing 1500 Critical Hit Dmg every hit can't get countered. Also Troll, Magina, Naix, Lycanthrope, Centaur and the list goes on and on.
This issue doesn't really exist in LoL because a fed AP carry gets countered by getting Magic Resistance and an AD carry gets countered by getting Armor and even if they still rape you 1v1, they can do **** when they get ganked. On the other hand a fed Mortred or Magina can easily take 1v5.

Also, Armor/Magic Penetration, Ability Power and Magic Resist are terms never used in Dota. (Yes, I know there's Hood of Defiance but it's the ONLY item and gets used more for it's HP regen than to counter mages.)
Ability Power also makes mage heroes better options, because in Dota heroes like Zeus, Lina, Lion, Rhasta etc don't really do much damage to tanky heroes, in late game and become pretty useless. Whereas in LoL Mages and Casters can still carry late game.

I know there's the META in LoL (Offtank Top, AP Mid, AD/Support Bottom, Jungler) but try to think outside the META...you still have so much options in every position. And if you still wanna go whatever you want go play Normal Games.

Also, I find ridiculous the terms Semi-Carry and Support in Dota. There's no real Support in Dota, maybe except from Chen because the main goal every hero has is to build Damage and not really supporting items for the team...(Supporting items in Dota? Maybe 3 or 4). Supports in LoL play a huge role and they can never be compared to the supports in Dota.
And then, I can't understand the term Semi-Carry...there can be 2 possible states of hero: Carry or NOT Carry...WTF is Semi-Carry??? Carry but not really carry?? GTFO!

Anyways there so much more examples I could mention about Dota being a very unbalanced game with a terrible gameplay, and I don't say LoL is perfect but Riot is working hard on getting it almost perfect. And I don't say Dota isn't a good or fun game to play because myself played it SO much!

Maybe you agree and maybe you don't...let me know and I want to see your opitions too..PEACE!

Umberr

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBK SD View Post
Hi. I used to play Dota for about 5 years. Now I'm stuck with LoL, but I also tried Dota 2 out...so I think, I have a good overall view about Dota vs LoL.

First of all, Dota is an old game and doesn't really have much options. Many heroes do the same and there not so much combos in the game. Dota 2 didn't impress me much because it's just a better version of Dota 1 but the gameplay has almost no changes.

You guys mentioned the Summoner Spells at LoL and that they are terrible for the gameplay.
Flash = Kelen's Dagger
Heal = Mechansm
Ghost = Phase Boots
Exhaust = Diffusal Blade
etc.
So what I wanna say is that there's no point in complaining about Summoner Spells because they exist also in Dota, in another way...Plus, EVERY player has/can use Summoner Spells, so it doesn't really make the gameplay bad.

Then there is the "FARMING" issue in LoL. Making farming important is good because in early games that's what decides who will win the lane. On the other hand in Dota you can have 50 cs more than your enemy and he still rapes you.
Also dening creeps in dota slows the gameplay down and there are heroes/champions who can do that a lot easier than others.

Also, Dota is a very unbalanced game. For example, there some heroes who can snowball really easy when get fed. A full build Mortred dealing 1500 Critical Hit Dmg every hit can't get countered. Also Troll, Magina, Naix, Lycanthrope, Centaur and the list goes on and on.
This issue doesn't really exist in LoL because a fed AP carry gets countered by getting Magic Resistance and an AD carry gets countered by getting Armor and even if they still rape you 1v1, they can do **** when they get ganked. On the other hand a fed Mortred or Magina can easily take 1v5.

Also, Armor/Magic Penetration, Ability Power and Magic Resist are terms never used in Dota. (Yes, I know there's Hood of Defiance but it's the ONLY item and gets used more for it's HP regen than to counter mages.)
Ability Power also makes mage heroes better options, because in Dota heroes like Zeus, Lina, Lion, Rhasta etc don't really do much damage to tanky heroes, in late game and become pretty useless. Whereas in LoL Mages and Casters can still carry late game.

I know there's the META in LoL (Offtank Top, AP Mid, AD/Support Bottom, Jungler) but try to think outside the META...you still have so much options in every position. And if you still wanna go whatever you want go play Normal Games.

Also, I find ridiculous the terms Semi-Carry and Support in Dota. There's no real Support in Dota, maybe except from Chen because the main goal every hero has is to build Damage and not really supporting items for the team...(Supporting items in Dota? Maybe 3 or 4). Supports in LoL play a huge role and they can never be compared to the supports in Dota.
And then, I can't understand the term Semi-Carry...there can be 2 possible states of hero: Carry or NOT Carry...WTF is Semi-Carry??? Carry but not really carry?? GTFO!

Anyways there so much more examples I could mention about Dota being a very unbalanced game with a terrible gameplay, and I don't say LoL is perfect but Riot is working hard on getting it almost perfect. And I don't say Dota isn't a good or fun game to play because myself played it SO much!

Maybe you agree and maybe you don't...let me know and I want to see your opitions too..PEACE!
Wow this thread got a major bump!

Anyways, I'll respond to your post because I have a very different opinion.

I agree that pretty much all summoner spells are just direct descendants of items or abilities in DotA, but the games balance them very differently. The main summoner spell everyone (even big LoL fans) often complain about is Flash, which as you said is similar to Blink Dagger. There is a big difference though in how they work. Flash is often a free "get out of a bad position" card that you can play every few minutes. A blink dagger, on the other hand, can be used far more often, BUT if you are hit with an attack a 3 second cooldown is put on the blink dagger, helping to balance it out and make sure a player can still be punished for having bad positioning while also rewarding those with fast reaction time.

Also, these abilities are very powerful, to balance them in DotA you must farm for them. To balance them in LoL they just give them a gigantic cooldown. Which you think is better is your opinion.

I completely disagree with your point about farming being more important in LoL than in DotA. The fact of the matter is that all heroes are not equal in DotA and many have clear counters based on their abilities. Would a Crystal maiden with 50 more CS than a Chaos Knight at 15 minutes in the game be able to solo kill him? Most likely no, because she's meant to be a support.

The term armor is used constantly in DotA. Pipe is gotten to reduce damage of AOEs in team fights. Hood is great if you need to survive spells (as you said). Many items make heroes have more hp or armor. And you forget to mention one of the most important items in DotA... the BKB which gives you magic immunity for a short period of time when used.

It is true that many casters will start to be less useful as the late game rolls around, but they are generally much more powerful in the early game. That's why if there is a Hard Carry on the other team you must use your casters to gank them often to keep their farm down so that you CAN continue to dish out the damage even if the game goes a bit long. Also there are many items casters get to continue to be useful to their team, many also have disables, and lastly their is always the Aghanim's Scepter which boosts the power of their Ultimates.

I feel like most people would disagree on your opinion of supports in DotA. There are far more supports in DotA than there are in LoL. You mention their not being many support items in DotA (Mek, Pipe, Wards, Courier, Dust, Smoke, Manaboots...) But even then a support in DotA generally doesn't get much farm. They support with their abilities, not with what items they buy.

Also, there are Semi-Carries. Windrunner for example is considered to be a semi-carry because she deals decent physical damage throughout the game, but can also help in a support role as well since she has a great stun and often will get items such as mek. Yet late-game solo against a hard-carry she doesn't stand a chance.

Anyways, those are my counter arguments.

TenseiSan

07-04-2012

Quote:

Flash = Kelen's Dagger
Heal = Mechansm
Ghost = Phase Boots
Exhaust = Diffusal Blade
etc.

Did you play easy mode a lot?

I'll give you Lycan. But Mortred? REALLY? You complain about the hero that has to farm for 30 minutes, and needs more than 10k gold worth of items to start dealing those xXx 420 MLG n0sc0pe ~1500~ dmg kritz.

Mortred has a 44% winrate, which would indicate that she's actually underpowered if anything. If you can't counter Mortred and actually list her as an overpowered hero, I sincerely question the rest of your 'insight'.

Everything has its counters in Dota, though it's not as simple as building magic res vs AP and armor vs AD. Why not just build a Blademail (=100% damage return) against a 'full build' mortred and see how she handles her own crits. Or use a Ghost Scepter (several seconds of physical immunity).

Also, saying that there are only 3 or 4 supporting items in Dota is so ridiculously wrong: what about Urn of Shadows, Force Staff, Ghost Scepter, Drum of Endurance, Eul's Scepter of Divinity, Scythe of Vyse, Rod of Atos, Medallion of Courage, Mekansm or Pipe of Insight? Also, keep in mind that these are all items with active effects.

Regarding 'mage' heroes being able to carry, let's just say that Outworld Destroyer carries much much harder than any LoL AP carry. Oh, and you don't exactly need AP when buying Dagon and Aghanims (on Lina for example) gives you 1100 additional burst damage, which is better scaling than most so-called 'AP Carries' in LoL.

A semi-carry is a pretty well established term that would apply to a lot of typical solo mid heroes with decent scaling (less than a hard carry though) but also strong early-midgame power. Examples would be Mirana, Storm Spirit, Nevermore and Gyrocopter, though there's a lot more.

Vrouge

07-04-2012

Quote:

1) First of all, Dota is an old game and doesn't really have much options. Many heroes do the same and there not so much combos in the game. Dota 2 didn't impress me much because it's just a better version of Dota 1 but the gameplay has almost no changes.

2) You guys mentioned the Summoner Spells at LoL and that they are terrible for the gameplay.
Flash = Kelen's Dagger
Heal = Mechansm
Ghost = Phase Boots
Exhaust = Diffusal Blade
etc.

Then there is the "FARMING" issue in LoL. Making farming important is good because in early games that's what decides who will win the lane. 3) On the other hand in Dota you can have 50 cs more than your enemy and he still rapes you.
4) Also dening creeps in dota slows the gameplay down and there are heroes/champions who can do that a lot easier than others.

5) Also, Dota is a very unbalanced game. For example, there some heroes who can snowball really easy when get fed. 6) A full build Mortred dealing 1500 Critical Hit Dmg every hit can't get countered. Also Troll, Magina, Naix, Lycanthrope, Centaur and the list goes on and on.

7) Ability Power also makes mage heroes better options, because in Dota heroes like Zeus, Lina, Lion, Rhasta etc don't really do much damage to tanky heroes, in late game and become pretty useless. Whereas in LoL Mages and Casters can still carry late game.

8) I know there's the META in LoL (Offtank Top, AP Mid, AD/Support Bottom, Jungler) but try to think outside the META...you still have so much options in every position. And if you still wanna go whatever you want go play Normal Games.

9) Also, I find ridiculous the terms Semi-Carry and Support in Dota. There's no real Support in Dota, maybe except from Chen because the main goal every hero has is to build Damage and not really supporting items for the team...(Supporting items in Dota? Maybe 3 or 4). Supports in LoL play a huge role and they can never be compared to the supports in Dota.

10) Anyways there so much more examples I could mention about Dota being a very unbalanced game with a terrible gameplay, and I don't say LoL is perfect but Riot is working hard on getting it almost perfect. And I don't say Dota isn't a good or fun game to play because myself played it SO much!

I will refrain from calling you a ****** but...

1) Dota IS an old game as it's been around for a lot longer than League of Legends but what do you mean by it has no options? For what?

2) What people mean is that you are going to pick up Flash 90% of the time which is practically a free escape out of jail card at level 1 should you get caught out.

3) Dota is more dynamically balanced. Carries actually carry. Supports actually support. A hard carry will carry harder than a mid-game based carry. For someone who claims to have played Dota for many years... you seem to know very little about the game.

4) How the hell does denying slow the game down? It's just another tactical option in the laning phase. If someone is denying you, are you going to let them continue to do that or are you going to do something about it? Play more aggressively.

5) Firstly the word is imbalanced and secondly, no it is not. Dota is imbalanced compared to what? League of Legends? Where everything is the same?

6) A full build ANY CARRY will rape you. It's probably your fault for feeding or letting them free farm in the first place. Just because heroes have the potential to become more powerful than carries in LoL means very little in terms of balance.

7) Oh the irony... AP lets "mages" scale but at what cost? You want to drag the game on longer since you can effectively scale into late game even as a mage? Also, mages will always pick up the few AP items there are. Dota has a lot more options itemisation wise. Do you want more damage? Pick up Aghanim's, Dagon or Veil. Do you want more utility? Pick up Orchid, Scythe, Force Staff, Rod of Atos or Eul's. Do you want survivability? Pick up Shiva's, Linken's or even BKB and Heart etc... in LoL it's... nah I'll just pick up one of the AP items.

I'm sorry but there are no mages in Dota. The concept of a mage is non-existant. There are, however, casters who are mostly supports and semi-carries. Everything in LoL is about numbers. If it grants the most AP it's most likely the best option.

8) Except that most people are going to stick to the meta regardless. You aren't going to see dual mid lanes or tri-lanes or dual-junglers like in Dota any time soon. You will even find 1/0/4 or 4/0/1 in Dota.

9) There are plenty of support items in Dota. Mekansm, Pipe, Arcane boots, Vladmir's are just to name a few. A semi-carry is a carry that does well early-mid game allowing your late game carry to farm up to excel late game.

10) Dota is a great game with more than seven years of balancing behind it.

TLDR; I'm sorry but you are not only ignorant but also quite clueless. Please learn the game before you talk about it.

HonorableGeneral

07-04-2012

Honestly I found DoTA 2 to just be... unfun. I booted it up since my friend had a beta access code and after 100 something games all I've found is that DoTA 2 makes me so much more pissed than League. Maybe it's because I'm a noob, but hell I always thought the point of gaming was to have fun. And with DoTA 2, about 90% of my games are me being ragged on for sucking rather than anyone explaining to me how to play.

So I vote League. Regardless of mechanics or anything, my personal experience with DoTA 2 was friggin' horrible. Perhaps it is because I am of the casual fare.

Though I don't think it's fair to call someone who grinds endlessly on MMOs and sets up servers for Minecraft and LAN parties for CS Classic a "casual gamer". But I digress. For me, LoL > DoTA 2 out of personal experience.