Dota 2 vs. LoL

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotKainan

03-08-2012

I've recently burned out on too much frustrating games of LoL and also acquired a Dota 2 beta key about the same time. Having played literally thousands of games of each (Dota 1, not 2...but they're more or less the same), I honestly think Dota is a significantly better game. I've been debating this with some friends who are still hooked on LoL, and they can't really refute the points I make.

Summoner Spells
LoL obviously has them, Dota doesn't. I will admit, when I first started playing LoL coming from Dota/HoN, I was intrigued by them and thought it was pretty cool. After playing a few hundred games, I realize how terrible they were for the flow of gameplay.

Flash is the worst offender of them all. It's a crutch for bad gameplay. If you're caught out of position in Dota, you have a very high likelihood of dying. In LoL, you Flash to safety. Flash also makes it fairly difficult to gank lanes, creating the passive farmville type gameplay that a lot of players often complain about.

Ganking vs. Farming
In LoL, the mid player leaving lane to gank is actually quite a bad idea most of the time. A kill is worth about 15 minions. When you leave the lane, your opponent will likely farm more gold than you'll get *IF* you get a kill at all. If you fail to get a kill, this puts you way behind. Again, this kind of gameplay discourages ganking and encourages 30-40 minute farm sessions.

In Dota, it's worth it to leave mid and gank for several reasons. First off, you have a better chance of pulling off the gank successfully due to the lack of Flash. Second, you gain a good amount of XP from ganks that makes them worth it. Third, not only do you gain gold for killing the enemy but you cause the dead player to lose gold. Dota's style of gameplay is a lot more interesting to both play and watch at a competitive level.

Hero/Champion Design
Riot has explicitly stated they don't want to make their champions too complex and complicated, like how some Dota heroes can be (Invoker for example...one hero having 10 spells but having such a high skill cap). The result of this is the same tanky DPS with a gap closer and movement speed buff being released every two weeks.

Game Features
Dota 2 has built in voice chat, which some will hate because it occasionally gets abused (I've never had to mute anyone in 20 games so far), but it's a great feature to have nevertheless. One of the most interesting features is the ability to watch live games going on at any time. If your friend is in a match, you can hop right in and spectate with a 1-2 minute delay.

Dota Lacks a Metagame
This is quite possibly one of my favorite things about Dota. Any hero can lane anywhere, period. In League of Legends it's "We must have AP mid, ranged and support bottom, jungler and tanky DPS top". That is such terrible game design and very boring to play.

4v5's Are Not Auto-Losses
In LoL, if someone on your team disconnects there's a 99% chance you're going to lose the game. I've won a small handful of 4v5's myself, but that's because it was four very good players against some very bad players. If player skill is equal, a 4v5 is not winnable in LoL whereas in Dota it is.

Better Rating System
Since we just mentioned 4v5's, in League of Legends, when you lose a game even shorthanded you lose the full amount of rating. In Dota, the amount of rating gained/lost changes on the fly if the number of teammates changes in the game.

For example, if you were going to lose or gain 15 in an even match, and then a teammate disconnects and never comes back, you'll only lose 5 or so for the loss. If you manage to pull off a shorthanded win, you'll gain 25. This system doesn't punish you when it's not your fault, and rewards you for good games and teamwork.

Conclusion
League of Legends is to the MOBA genre as World of Warcraft is to MMORPGs. It's casual, accessible and fairly easy to play. This is why LoL will likely always have a larger player base, but it doesn't mean it's the better game.

I've had my say, I'm curious to hear from those still enjoying LoL why they think it's a better game. Everyone I've met that says LoL is better simply isn't good at Dota and has no valid reasons for liking it more.

XenosKing

03-08-2012

these are all the arguments i make to my friends on why dota is better but a lot of them are LoL fan boys/girls and they just argue with unreasonable arguments unfortunately.

StyTownUSA

03-08-2012

you should probably check out http://www.huskysc.com if you like husky and his casts

cowpotato

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2012

i just like the matchmaking system in LoL

NotKainan

03-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpotato View Post
i just like the matchmaking system in LoL
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious. The matchmaking is terrible because of the inflated rate you gain/lose rating when you're first starting out. I was sitting at 1600 for awhile, and the games aren't terribly different from 1200-1300 because the player pool is so saturated with players who aren't where they belong.

In addition, if you get trolls or leavers during your early games you'll drop down to a rating you might not belong in. This happened to me at the beginning of season 2. The games were just so bad and I kept losing again and again at no fault of my own. I was 1050 rating at one point and had played a lot of games so I wasn't gaining as much as I was before. It took nearly 120 games of grinding it out to escape and start moving up.

Jesus the Friend

03-09-2012

I make it a point to never read any "X vs LoL" threads.

FortifyOP

03-09-2012

a community where people respect each other is a big plus for me unfortunately lol is a contest of whoever can be the snarkiest so i dont feel like i belong here much anymore :/

XenosKing

03-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortifyOP View Post
a community where people respect each other is a big plus for me unfortunately lol is a contest of whoever can be the snarkiest so i dont feel like i belong here much anymore :/
go to the dota2 sub reddit, i promise people there are alot nicer. especially to new people who want to learn.

NotKainan

03-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenosKing View Post
go to the dota2 sub reddit, i promise people there are alot nicer. especially to new people who want to learn.
I'm not going to claim the Dota community is a bunch of saints, but there is significantly less petty arguments breaking out in Dota 2 compared to LoL. There's a few reasons for this.

1) In LoL, because the meta is engraved in everyone's heads, some champions can only go to certain lanes. If someone called a lane already, you can't always play who you want. This makes players bitter and causes arguments. In Dota, virtually any hero can lane anywhere, it's not a big deal. So people get to do what they want.

2) One bad player or one failed lane in LoL can and will usually cost you the game. Quite often a lane fails so hard by 15 minutes that everyone has given up and the blame game starts. People point fingers, argue and don't even play. In Dota, 4v5's are definitely winnable, so if someone quits on you or isn't doing too well it's not the end of the world. Keep playing your A game and there's a good chance you can come out on top.

Lance Eliot

03-09-2012

As far as I'm concerned, League of Legends is a good game pretending to be an amazing game and DotA2 is an amazing game that lacks wide appeal.

12345 ... 8