Serious thoughts.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pruck2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2012

I personally RAGE when people can barely speak English. Not because of their race, I mean, plenty of people from TONS of backgrounds can speak perfect English, were born here, and some even use English as their language in countries other than America. No, my thoughts are, if you have to take a moment to translate, that could be the moment we die in teamfights. If you don't quite understand something, that could be where they score an ace. If you can't communicate at all, you're basically a useless member of our team. If you misinterpret something, whether it be what you read or said, it could be end game. Also, on top of all those issues, if you're from another country, it's IMPOSSIBLE to have a very good ping. Those fractions of a second alone could be the death of your entire team.

Why does riot do this to us? Why can't they zone people off, or at very least, allow them to get banned for not speaking the native language well (I heard they have a spanish version out, not sure if it's true, but allow people to get banned for not speaking spanish well there too). It's a team game, and what makes a team is communication, please fix this riot.

Also, please, share your views and stories on what the language barrier has done to you.

Soljahh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-09-2012

I agree, I get games with people from Brazil and Portugal and teaming with most of these people are impossible because either A, they dont speak English (on the North American server), B they refuse to speak english, or C they speak english but only enough to tell you that Americans are dogs and fat. Why are you even on the NA server if you cant speak the language? Since my last game where I was called a fat American dog, every game where someone in the lobby starts speaking another language I drop from the que because I'd rather wait the 5 minutes than wait 40 minutes for the game to end. Everything you said is right, and it isn't racist because you're stating a fact... facts are impartial, if you cant speak the language of the server on a game that heavily relies on team communication, you're ruining the gaming experience for everyone in that game. Your team loses, and the enemy team doesn't get a full challenge and just steamrolls through your lanes.

Burrial

03-09-2012

Language barrier doesn't bother me too too much. If I'm playing with random people it's because I'm just derping around not playing with the friends who are usually online. If they're on, it means we're in vent together so we don't worry about it. I figure if I'm solo queuing I'll take what I can get.

Solany

03-09-2012

Well,servers are kinda "global", since there's no distinction between languages. (even if you play the french or spanish version en EU, you are matched with ppl from all places and forced to speak english or try to understand eachother)

I live in North America, in the province of Québec, so I'm a french-speaker. I have no problem with people from other languages, they have the right to play even if they doN't know english. I communicate with them by simple words and pings.

I found that some English-speakers seemts to think that they are the center of the world. I met many people who got mad because I was talking to a friend in french. They told me to get off "their" servers and to "learn english" (even if I had been talking english with them since the beginning of the game).

Internet is a free world and you can't force people to talk english just because you do. It's called discrimination. Plus, South America doesn't have their own servers, so they don't really have a choice.

davidjo459

Recruiter

03-09-2012

It also pisses me off but I think it's kind of ignorant to say NA = English. NA is a region even if the majority do speak English. While I agree that it can be annoying, banning people for not speaking English is unfair, especially when many other places like South America don't have their own server.

Also, common sense and pings can go a long way in communication.

TehJackAttack

03-09-2012

I agree with this, at least to have an option or preferential language. It is very frustrating to be matched with an entire team that you cannot communicate with, but being a bannable offense did make me lol.

Profile option to prefer english/spanish/korean speaking players? Etc?

Pruck2

03-09-2012

Well I mean on top of it being annoying tactic wise, I enjoy having small conversations throughout my games. So what, I'm supposed to spend the next 40+ minutes not enjoying any speaking because they can't understand me? I think it's a terribly bust system. I think the "prefer players who speak" would be nice. I'm sure plenty of people would check that they can speak english, though, even when they can only speak as much English as I do Spanish (very common words). Either way, I personally think anything is better than the current system. It's VERY frustrating to all the people involved when the language barrier sets in.

As for the people who are lucky enough to already have a team, please look at this through my eyes (I've been looking, but yet to find one) or a complete noobs eyes. Every other game you get at least 3 people who can't speak English much, if at all. That's not good for getting new players to stick around.

Vikaryous

03-09-2012

I don't expect them to learn English, just like I hope they don't expect me to learn Spanish, French, or whatever their language is. Group us up together according to general language spoken in each area

Yes, pings and common sense can facilitate communication. However, in a game where split-second decisions can affect the outcome, spending precious time trying to figure out what we are trying to communicate to each other can spell certain doom