Farming tips

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dark Ajax

03-07-2012

Now I am sort of a veteran LoL player been at it for more than a year and a half. I will never be the greatest of greats but I think I am a decent player who understands team dynamics, champ strengths and weaknesses etc.

My problem seems to originate from the fact that I have see my cs is almost always consistently lower than others. I figure this must be because I am always trying to help out others in the team, try to catch others off-guard in lane, etc. But I have seen others have cs better despite roaming around too. Even my best games where I am owning and carry the game for us, I have a cs from 100-150 max

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? I know the basics of farming of course - last hit, don't overextend lane, try to keep the battle in the middle, harass but mostly try to get some gold. Is there something I am missing? Do I have to be a lot more selfish to get higher cs? What's the deelio people?

Thanks

I Jedi I

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2012

well what role are you talking about ? don't just auto, spam "s" around minions then just last hit, there really isn't anything complicated about farming, I get around 100 in about 12 minutes or so, not great, but not bad.

NakedGranny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Ajax View Post
Now I am sort of a veteran LoL player been at it for more than a year and a half. I will never be the greatest of greats but I think I am a decent player who understands team dynamics, champ strengths and weaknesses etc.

My problem seems to originate from the fact that I have see my cs is almost always consistently lower than others. I figure this must be because I am always trying to help out others in the team, try to catch others off-guard in lane, etc. But I have seen others have cs better despite roaming around too. Even my best games where I am owning and carry the game for us, I have a cs from 100-150 max

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? I know the basics of farming of course - last hit, don't overextend lane, try to keep the battle in the middle, harass but mostly try to get some gold. Is there something I am missing? Do I have to be a lot more selfish to get higher cs? What's the deelio people?

Thanks
depends. on a lot.

some champions are godlike farmers (Malzahar, Heimer, others with strong AoEs) and some aren't (Shaco, Fiddles...). melee champions have a harder time farming during laning for fear of harass, but most of them should just get a Regrowth first and bite the bullet because they have incredible sustain power (Irelia, Tryn...)

essentially, getting CS isn't necessarily all about timing your last hits. it also involves the opportunity and focus to farm minions. if you're getting poked out of your lane, you're getting denied CS, and that's the entire point. some people really prefer a boring lane (bottom...) so they can just kill minions mindlessly waiting for midgame to start. i advise that you do all you can to disrupt your lane opponents' farming. if they're ignoring you to get minions, then that's your opportunity to really **** them up. forcing them to back will give you a few minutes of free farm.

it sounds like your problem is that you just that you aren't focused on farming. and that's fine if you're accomplishing things. you can economize a little, though. pay attention to wave timing. don't leave the lane to go gank if there's a cannon wave coming or if there's a lot of minions sitting there, pick a better time to leave. if your team is sitting idly poking around at an enemy turret, don't waste your time with them. you aren't gonna take a tower that has five opponents sitting on it -- that's when you should go grab the huge creep ball that's piling up in a side lane. that's typically how strong farm champs get their CS, they go clear huge creep balls of 20+ minions while the other nine people are jackin' off in mid failing to teamfight.

Dark Ajax

03-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedGranny View Post
depends. on a lot.

some champions are godlike farmers (Malzahar, Heimer, others with strong AoEs) and some aren't (Shaco, Fiddles...). melee champions have a harder time farming during laning for fear of harass, but most of them should just get a Regrowth first and bite the bullet because they have incredible sustain power (Irelia, Tryn...)

essentially, getting CS isn't necessarily all about timing your last hits. it also involves the opportunity and focus to farm minions. if you're getting poked out of your lane, you're getting denied CS, and that's the entire point. some people really prefer a boring lane (bottom...) so they can just kill minions mindlessly waiting for midgame to start. i advise that you do all you can to disrupt your lane opponents' farming. if they're ignoring you to get minions, then that's your opportunity to really **** them up. forcing them to back will give you a few minutes of free farm.

it sounds like your problem is that you just that you aren't focused on farming. and that's fine if you're accomplishing things. you can economize a little, though. pay attention to wave timing. don't leave the lane to go gank if there's a cannon wave coming or if there's a lot of minions sitting there, pick a better time to leave. if your team is sitting idly poking around at an enemy turret, don't waste your time with them. you aren't gonna take a tower that has five opponents sitting on it -- that's when you should go grab the huge creep ball that's piling up in a side lane. that's typically how strong farm champs get their CS, they go clear huge creep balls of 20+ minions while the other nine people are jackin' off in mid failing to teamfight.
I think you may be on to something. The more I think about it, the more I am certain, I don't focus on farming as much as trying to get something done around the map (especially if the other lanes are getting slaughtered, I feel kind of guilty doing my own thing even though I am miles away).

That economizing bit is good advice, I'll be sure to be more conscious of that the next time, I decide to leave lane.

PS alternatively, I might as well just start jungling, sigh.

Dark Ajax

03-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Jedi I View Post
well what role are you talking about ? don't just auto, spam "s" around minions then just last hit, there really isn't anything complicated about farming, I get around 100 in about 12 minutes or so, not great, but not bad.
Yeah, about this, I think I may have habituated myself into a bad pattern. I always hear one should use S and I couldn't get it until I realized that when I was getting into playing LoL, I binded my summoner spells to S and D. Oops.

Is there any other way, I can stop? (I am at work right now so can't look at the options to see if the 'S' function could be bound elsewhere)

HeathenAntics

03-08-2012

Last hit, last hit, poke opposing carry, last hit, last hit, Taric stuns, poke poke poke, free farm until they show their face again, rinse repeat.

Lt orange juice

03-08-2012

I can help you just sent me a friend request and we can work on your skills in a privet game the test it out in a real one I am Lt Orange Juice

BlackJesus101

03-08-2012

it takes a little bit of expereince watching pros can help a lot if u think about why they do certain things.
i find in the end u just have to get the right timing when to go for that particular last hit and when u have a chance for good poke but against competent opponents it gets pretty complex\

PS nothing wrong with playing jungle