How to fix Ap casters

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryzol Ryzo Ryz R

03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticHypnotic View Post
I do agree more items need better CDR.

For now...

Ionian Boots + (Morello OR Frozen Heart) + Masteries = Max CDR

If you need CDR off the bat, Kindlegem is a good substitute for Prospector's Ring.
You can get max cdr, but AP casters make significant sacrifices to do so. On SR a standard AP caster build is something like 3 doran's rings, sorc shoes, rabadons. Simply getting Ionian Boots instead of Sorc shoes greatly reduces a casters mid game damage because flat magic pen is stronger the early in the game you buy it.

Psi21

03-07-2012

Magic Penetration is just too important for abilities that can take 5 to 6 seconds to come off cooldown. (with CDR, except Ryze)

25 MR is enough to reduce 100 damage from a 500 damage ability.
200 MR is enough to reduce 333 damage from a 500 damage ability.

You have 2 decisions as a caster when it comes to magic penetration.

static magic penetration + 10% from masteries
Void staff + 10% from masteries

***And you can just ignore 10% from masteries thanks to Odin's Veil.***

If you go the route of static magic penetration with out looking like a fool by stacking Sorcerer boots. (and by the way... no caster gets a malady)

Sorcerer boots, Haunting Guise, Abyssal Scepter and 19 MR penetration in runes = 79 magic penetration

Void staff = 40% magic penetration

Notice anything??!?!
All of these Magic penetration items offer no Cooldown reduction.

Meanwhile you have The Brutalizer which also stacks with the Youmuu's Ghostblade both offer static Armor Penetration and Cooldown reduction.

Sadly, it is completely true that Tankie DPS and AD Casters have it way better than Mages in this game.

It is really sad when your only Mage Tanky DPS (not including support champs) is Sion, Cho, Alister, Galio, Mao, Morde, Poppy, Rumble, Ryze, Singe, Swain.

And some of them listed above do better as AD.

ChaoticHypnotic

03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzol Ryzo Ryz R View Post
You can get max cdr, but AP casters make significant sacrifices to do so. On SR a standard AP caster build is something like 3 doran's rings, sorc shoes, rabadons. Simply getting Ionian Boots instead of Sorc shoes greatly reduces a casters mid game damage because flat magic pen is stronger the early in the game you buy it.
That's why you buy a Haunting Guise.

Also, what damage you lose from not stacking AP comes back in the form of added utility when stacking CDR.

Cauldrath

03-08-2012

Glacial Shroud+Rylai's+Abyssal Scepter - makes any mage a tanky dps.

GrignardTS

03-08-2012

I will agree that caster's need just a few stronger early game items.

They are still very viable picks.

Ryzol Ryzo Ryz R

03-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrignardTS View Post
I will agree that caster's need just a few stronger early game items.

They are still very viable picks.
Many AP casters are good picks, but many AP casters are also bad picks.

Good AP casters - AP Assassins, Cass, Ryze, Rumble. Did I miss anyone?

There are a few other AP casters that are situationally good bottom lane picks.

Risemix

03-08-2012

It's hard to deny that most casters suffer a little on Dominion. Early game they can't match the raw damage output of other types and/or are very squishy, and late game their damage by percent falls off because of the high value of tanky DPS champs. They also tend to get less for their item buys early game (which is offset in SR a bit because they level faster).

Some work all right (Leblanc, Kassadin, Ryze, Rumble, a few others) but most are just not very good. That's a tough problem to fix though. Do you really want to give Kassadin more level 3 CDR?

GrignardTS

03-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzol Ryzo Ryz R View Post
Good AP casters - AP Assassins, Cass, Ryze, Rumble. Did I miss anyone?

There are a few other AP casters that are situationally good bottom lane picks.
Brand, Nidalee, Orianna, Fiddle, Heimer, Karthus, Kennen, Lux, Xerath, Ziggs, and Malz.

Especially Malz. He is not a situational bottom. More like, a T1 bottom.

Emeraldw

03-08-2012

Malz is very good at pushing and killing but gets ganked easily.

Mages are all very good picks in dominion. I agree that their damage trails off towards the very late game but that happens in SR too. Their aoe damage and CC though are fantastic. Especially CC on a map with enhanced damage.

Forestgreen02

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2012

I've raped playing as Annie in Dominion b4. There are NO BAD PICKS (except ashe, I'm sorry she's just so bad, only AD carry without AS/AD steroid), you just need to change your play style for most of the champs. In annie's case you need to play her like shaco. When you get Tibbers you want to whittle down your opponents down before going to blow them up by getting Tibbers to chase them down or disrupt point capture. Get them to blow their skills on Tibbers then go burst them and run away, repeat until dead.