Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Katarina's Mastery Build.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

costas84

07-30-2010

Hello everyone, i have recently took a look at a rather famous Katarina guide and it said that 9/21/0 build is better.

With 3 points in archmage's savvy and all the others at the improved summoner spell, the cd reduction and the magic resistance reduction and the rest spent on the defensive tree's dodge, MR and Armor and Health talents, as well as the +movement one each time you dodge, the -Damage Taken at the end of the defensive tree and some other sides.

So i was wondering, is that really the best build for Katarina? What are your opinions?

crispy critter

07-30-2010

9/21/0 is probably fine for AP Kat, but I play her AD and I personally think 21/9/0 (making sure to pick up the Dodge->10% move speed mastery) is marginally better for that build, especially if you have Dodge runes. It'd be really nice if they ever pulled Rally out of Nerf Oblivion.

peyo

07-31-2010

9/21/0 is better for both, AP and AD.

Kat is skill based champ
Offense has not much good to offer. Increased attack speed, armor pen and crit damage are not good - yes, I am aware that AD auto attacks sometimes, but still...

Utility has some good masteries, but some of them are mana based (Meditation <3) and the cooldown reduction doesn't play THAT great role for Kat as for others (she has Voracity)

on the other hand, Defense offers everything that is usefull (or nothing that is useless, if you prefer it that way). More HP, more armor, more resist, reduced damage. You'll be targeted and u've got to face it.

I used to play 21/9/0 and switched to 9/21/0. I really felt the difference.

DonVadim

07-31-2010

For AD imo better is 9/0/21
All survivability you need you obtain from heart of gold or randuin in late game.
5% more experience is awesome, so does upgraded buff duration (you want golem for cooldown reduction), move speed helps during early game, cooldown reduction is awesome too, and of course you want to use your exhaust/ghost/teleport/whatever 15% faster...

scarra

07-31-2010

as solo mid 21/9/0 is probably best for snowballing

sidelanes - any combination would work

peyo

07-31-2010

Quote:
DonVadim:
For AD imo better is 9/0/21
All survivability you need you obtain from heart of gold or randuin in late game.
5% more experience is awesome, so does upgraded buff duration (you want golem for cooldown reduction), move speed helps during early game, cooldown reduction is awesome too, and of course you want to use your exhaust/ghost/teleport/whatever 15% faster...

golem buff should be left for high mana dependent casters/supporters... also, you dont need CDR, you have Voracity

DonVadim

07-31-2010

Quote:
peyo:
golem buff should be left for high mana dependent casters/supporters... also, you dont need CDR, you have Voracity

You want to have CDR because you can harass enemies more often in laning phase, and sometimes it is deciding between, for example, tryndamere being able to escape through unpassable terrain or his death because your shunpo went off cooldown just right before his spinning slash...

Also you not always have team made of high mana dependent casters/supporters. Moreover, there are 2 golem buffs, and because you are killer, it is likely that you will obtain buff from killed enemy, so 30% longer duration really helps.

peyo

07-31-2010

Quote:
DonVadim:
You want to have CDR because you can harass enemies more often in laning phase, and sometimes it is deciding between, for example, tryndamere being able to escape through unpassable terrain or his death because your shunpo went off cooldown just right before his spinning slash...

Also you not always have team made of high mana dependent casters/supporters. Moreover, there are 2 golem buffs, and because you are killer, it is likely that you will obtain buff from killed enemy, so 30% longer duration really helps.

you could also grab a lizard buff and kill him with DOT... or your ally with golem buff could help you as he's not oom.

A caster and supporter is a must in good team. You want them to have these buffs, especially if they need a lot of mana. I'm sorry, but I'd rather leave a golem for Anivia, Karthus, Kassadin, Taric, Janna or others...

OJ Da Juiceman

07-31-2010

If you play kat, you want mid. If you mid you want good starting hp and a bit of extra survivability. I always play 9/21/0 on AP kat. With dorans, my HP runes, and the 21 D it makes me **** hard to kill in mid. That means I usually get first blood, and then can start snowball ganking at lvl 6. If I get about 4 kills the game is pretty much over. Kat can carry the worst of teams if shes fed early game.

Dr W

07-31-2010

On Treeline I use 9/21/0 with Exhaust/Clairvoyance. The dodge mastery and additional sight are nice to have for moving around the map safely and ganking.