How does Matchmaking work

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Killustration

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2010

I find myself at level 23 joining arranged and solo queue's being matched with people who have no idea how to play in any sense, or people that are far superior and carry the team / opposing team.

I've been playing a lot lately and it just seems like i'm being grouped with the most awful groups for 5~matches in a row, then I get grouped with an amazing team for 1 round, then back to the failfest.

Would anyone be able to explain how the matchmaking system is grouping people together? I like this game a lot but am becoming discouraged with this aspect of the game.

note i have been in some fantastic groups(both teams) and have had great games win or lose, but it seems to be very unbalanced. 8(

BawksUvAydes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2010

The game tries to find people around your summoner level and "ELO" level. ELO is the ranking system LoL uses (though Riot modified it a bit) and basically as you win games, you rating goes up and if you lose games your rating goes down. If the game ends up being slightly unbalanced from the start in your opponents' favor (say, they're level 25 and higher rating than you on average where you're only 23 and lower rating, this happens because there's no players available around your level and the game considers them "close enough") then you'll lose less rating if you lose because you were expected to lose, but if you win your rating will go up extra because you beat a team that was supposedly better than you.

But yeah, people just seem to get lots of streaks of getting bad teammates or being put up against really good teams, it happens all the time. Your best bet is to wait for a good game with good teammates and add everyone on the list and hope they add you back. Then just do arranged games all the time with 2-3 people. That way, even if you get a couple idiots on your team, you definitely won't get 4 terrible people and get horribly steamrolled since you've ensured that at least 2-3 of you know what you're doing. Just remember that doing partial premades like this artificially inflates your ELO rating, so having 3 premade players and 2 solo queue players all at rating 1200 will be treated as if they're like 1250 because of the premade (it's assumed that the premade palyers will have improved communication etc and would have an advantage) so you'll probably play against slightly better opponents, but you're far less likely to have a fail team.

Even pros can't save a bad team, I watched a high ELO match with one of the highest ranked players in the game where his Rammus went 0-6 to start, and that Rammus let the guy die to an enemy instead of taunting them. It turns out that the game took a bunch of low level players (around 1300 ELO) and this good player (1600+ ELO) and stuck them together and said "oh that averages to about 1400) and stuck them against a team which was mostly high 1400s and low 1500s, and they just steamrolled the pro guy's team. Of course, he did very well, but his team made him lose anyway. Moral of the story is IT HAPPENS EVEN AT HIGH LEVELS. More guaranteed good players = less possible bad players.

If you want, you can add me at BawksUvAydes, I'm around level 18 and generally don't play badly except maybe on my first game of the day.

AshesII

07-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawksUvAydes View Post
The game tries to find people around your summoner level and "ELO" level. ELO is the ranking system LoL uses (though Riot modified it a bit) and basically as you win games, you rating goes up and if you lose games your rating goes down. If the game ends up being slightly unbalanced from the start in your opponents' favor (say, they're level 25 and higher rating than you on average where you're only 23 and lower rating, this happens because there's no players available around your level and the game considers them "close enough") then you'll lose less rating if you lose because you were expected to lose, but if you win your rating will go up extra because you beat a team that was supposedly better than you.

But yeah, people just seem to get lots of streaks of getting bad teammates or being put up against really good teams, it happens all the time. Your best bet is to wait for a good game with good teammates and add everyone on the list and hope they add you back. Then just do arranged games all the time with 2-3 people. That way, even if you get a couple idiots on your team, you definitely won't get 4 terrible people and get horribly steamrolled since you've ensured that at least 2-3 of you know what you're doing. Just remember that doing partial premades like this artificially inflates your ELO rating, so having 3 premade players and 2 solo queue players all at rating 1200 will be treated as if they're like 1250 because of the premade (it's assumed that the premade palyers will have improved communication etc and would have an advantage) so you'll probably play against slightly better opponents, but you're far less likely to have a fail team.

Even pros can't save a bad team, I watched a high ELO match with one of the highest ranked players in the game where his Rammus went 0-6 to start, and that Rammus let the guy die to an enemy instead of taunting them. It turns out that the game took a bunch of low level players (around 1300 ELO) and this good player (1600+ ELO) and stuck them together and said "oh that averages to about 1400) and stuck them against a team which was mostly high 1400s and low 1500s, and they just steamrolled the pro guy's team. Of course, he did very well, but his team made him lose anyway. Moral of the story is IT HAPPENS EVEN AT HIGH LEVELS. More guaranteed good players = less possible bad players.

If you want, you can add me at BawksUvAydes, I'm around level 18 and generally don't play badly except maybe on my first game of the day.
Yeah, It's rather annoying.