Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot, Dominion and its fate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sizmic

Recruiter

03-06-2012

As I know you are aware there have been countless "We want Ranked" threads popping up left and right. I have even seen one thread by a person threatening to quit the game if ranked didn't happen before X time. While I think the latter is rather childish I do understand how he is feeling.

To date there have been several updates to Dominion and it has made the game play much better. That said it has been many patches sense dominion was even talked about, with the exception of the champion spotlight, and the player base has been shrinking to a dismal level. Those people with extremely high ELO's are often waiting a half hour or more just to get a game in Normal Draft mode. Additionally, about half, perhaps a little more based on the poll thread, feel dominion is ready for ranked play and have in fact made some great arguments how it could improve the game mode. Personally, I know I would play Dominion almost exclusively if ranked were available. However, that is not what this thread is about. I understand that the developers have time lines and wait to do things for a reason.

That said there is a major feeling of being ignored among the Dominion community and a rather large fear of the crystal scare turning into an ignored game mode. I strongly feel that the main reason for this is not that riot is ignoring dominion but rather that we don't' get too many red posts from developers and, as a result, are starved for news. We need something to sink our teeth into and invigorate us to press on while we wait for the future.

So long story short is there any news that you could share with us here about the future of dominion or is it truly doomed to fade away into nothing as the company loses many of its customers as illustrated in the following topic http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1893073 ?

Sizmic

Recruiter

03-10-2012

bump

Glorious Bird

03-10-2012

Champion balance doesn't revolve or even consider Dominion and it's player base is too small. It will never hit ranked.

Cyndikate

03-10-2012

Quote:
Glorious Bird:
Champion balance doesn't revolve or even consider Dominion and it's player base is too small. It will never hit ranked.

The reason why the playerbase is much smaller is because Riot never paid much attention to Dominion anymore. Dominion's been out for a long time, and Riot should have implemented ranked mode a long time ago.

CommodoreSkippy

03-10-2012

Dominion doesn't need to have it's own overly different qualifications for champion balance. While the gameplay is DRASTICALLY different, the core aspect of "fight over turrets that rain laser death" is still there.

People might cite Rammus as an example of "look, not even remotely balanced for Dominion" but I propose this:
Have people ever been satisfied with how powerful Rammus is at any given time?

BigDaddyDelish

03-10-2012

Dominion is way more balanced than what it is given credit for... if you ask me Rammus is completely overvalued. He's not even on my ban list anymore, I'd much rather put that ban towards Pantheon and Kassadin, who are also ridiculously mobile while contributing a **** of a lot more than a taunt and some minor aoe damage. Wukong I also find is a far more worthy ban.

But that's a different topic, and I agree in that I really wish Riot would throw us a bone and at least tell us that they are still listening. We really only have one red that is at all interested in talking Dominion with us anymore, and while I am definitely grateful it is kind of embarrassing how little attention Riot is giving us.

The best answer we got for why Ranked isn't out yet is that they are watching and waiting for the meta to develop, but if you ask me there isn't a set meta. The current meta is 4 top 1 bot, and that lasts literally only the first 2 or 3 minutes of the game before strategies evolve to suit the situation. Dominion is actually pretty **** balanced, even the most powerful champions of Dom can still be taken down and the "meta" or whatever you want to call it is very fun and dynamic, and is constantly changing throughout the match. So honestly, I don't get what they are waiting for. Because something MAY change? Who's to say it won't after they finally do release Ranked? A more competitive environment will go a long way.

Everyone who plays Dom is terrified it's going to become like TT, especially since a lot of us, including myself, have taken a lot of time to learn Dom and become good at it, and are really hopeful for it's future since SR is really not that fun in comparison to DotA 2/HoN and is pretty sloppy and stale in comparison (at least imo, would WAY rather play either of those over SR for the traditional DotA set-up).

Jabebot makes Normal Draft essentially ranked anyway. But I would really like to see some more publicity effort put towards Dominion since waiting 20 minutes every time I want to play draft is really obnoxious.

CommodoreSkippy

03-10-2012

What if the Meta IS no true meta?
Some games, the 1 bot lane rule will hold for the entire duration, with the occasional gank or bot jogging up elsewhere to help out real quick.
Other games, bot is a constantly changing "safer" turret, with no particular player assigned to it. I say safer, because neither team tends to push the other's bot unless they've just won a recent teamfight or the enemy is grouped up elsewhere.

On rare occasion you see oddball strats like "cap bot and mid, then rush enemy bot", or even "1 bot, 1 distract top, 3 cap enemy mid". I haven't really seen them enough to saythat either trends towards success over any other opening game strategy.

But that's just the thing. These are opening game strats. The game will change into something else in time. You have to be flexible and respond accordingly as a team. Sometimes the enemy will turtle extra hard, sometimes they are very fast/have globals. You need to treat these situations differently.
I see "ONLY 1 PERSON BOT WTF R U DOING UR LOSING THE GAME FOR US" more often than I'd like whenever even 1 extra person attends to the bot lane for a time. This mindset is rigid and unworkable. If the enemy team leans towards a sustained offense on the bottom lane, you need to readjust. Likewise, if 4 enemies rush your top, now is a great time for 2 guys to run to their bot without minions and break the 1 defender to cap it.

Honestly, I think Dominion is too dynamic to have a TRUE meta, and I like that notion. Why should a Meta be required to have a ranked mode?

Sizmic

Recruiter

03-10-2012

Quote:
Glorious Bird:

While ranked is a part of almost any future of dominion topic I wish you would pay more attention to my posts as this is not a we need ranked now topic.

Quote:
Bigdaddyrelish:
Dominion is way more balanced than what it is given credit for... if you ask me Rammus is completely overvalued. He's not even on my ban list anymore, I'd much rather put that ban towards Pantheon and Kassadin, who are also ridiculously mobile while contributing a **** of a lot more than a taunt and some minor aoe damage. Wukong I also find is a far more worthy ban.

I agree completely mobility is nice to have on the team but doesn't make the game. I like assassins myself, who do massive damage and can still move fast.

I do also agree with your other point the reds do ignore us as a community and that is the central theme that I hope that this thread might work to break. As of right now there is one red that enjoys talking dominion and I am uncertain if any of the others even like the mode. If we got some information on what they are planning it would help the moral of the community greatly.

Quote:
CommodoreSkippy:
Honestly, I think Dominion is too dynamic to have a TRUE meta, and I like that notion. Why should a Meta be required to have a ranked mode?

I agree 110%

Nabonidus

03-10-2012

Quote:
Cyndikate:
The reason why the playerbase is much smaller is because Riot never paid much attention to Dominion anymore. Dominion's been out for a long time, and Riot should have implemented ranked mode a long time ago.

They added Ranked TT, and that did NOTHING to solve its playerbase problem.

There's a lot of issues with balance and lack of variation in strategy in Dominion. Until they fix that, it won't see much of an increase.

Kiddalee

03-10-2012

Quote:
Glorious Bird:

Even though "champions are not balanced around Dominion," Dominion is more balanced than Classic. Team roles are less static in Dominion and your champion's power level is not based entirely on the laning phase.