How to stop poppy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

An Agile Phoenix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2012

So, this game i was just in had a poppy that would run in, ult, and kill our ad carry every single time a time fight engaged. Afterwards, she'd just focus down the rest of us with heroic charge-> pummle. With a Hextech gunblade and FoN, she was absolutley unkillable. We couldn't even use CC( of which we had sona ult, galio ult, lee sin cripple, two exhausts, and kog slow) on the poppy because she had QsS and cleanse.

So, my question is:How do you stop this? What champions or items are good to counter poppy with?

reu0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2012

pick her or ban her.

problem solved .

NoOneLove

03-06-2012

delay her early game

Absolut Aewlz

03-06-2012

Took off her early.

Dark Ajax

03-07-2012

her early laning is terrible, deny there. whamo.

Quick Rawr

03-07-2012

Yup, have a ranged champ against her and she's doneskis from the start.

Kirielis

03-07-2012

Threads like this are why I jungle Poppy.

It's true, the counter to Poppy is to shut down her early game. That's actually harder than it looks with a melee champion, because she trades ridiculously hard at level 1 with Q, is stupidly hard to kill with that passive, and can run away from most anything. There is a point, however, when her Q isn't doing significant damage any more, and she doesn't have Sheen yet. Smack her around at that time, or not at all. You'll probably make her b more than you actually kill her, but you might also get enough advantage to snowball.

Remember, your Poppy opponent is happy to trade, but happier to bide her time until she gets that Sheen. You make her unhappy by forcing bad trades. Warwick can just heal damage off, Poppy can't; Caitlyn can take free pot shots all day and not miss farm.

If she gets to the point of insta-gibbing your ADC, make said ADC buy a QSS to negate the 40% extra damage. That's about all you can get - no other team member can so much as touch Poppy while her ult is up, and Poppy can chase all day. The rest is good positioning and counterpicking - ADC in the back makes a slightly sadder Poppy, ADC with a long-range jump (think Tristana and Corki) might make her hit your APC instead if they jump away after the ult is used. Which actually solves no problems except your ADC not dying instantly. Teemo or other on-hit built champions shred Poppy because their damage tends to go straight through her passive, at least once the ult wears off.

Alternatively, just split push. This may lead to one of: Your team fights a 4v5 against them, which is exactly what happened before, except now the ADC is pushing instead of dead. Or your team fights a 4v4 while one of theirs goes to kill the ADC, which is better than a 4v5. (It will never be a 4v3, because we already know Poppy can take the ADC out alone.) Although, if they're smart, they will make the 4v4 involve Poppy, creating 3v4 and a lost teamfight. Meanwhile, your ADC has either succeeded in taking the tower against their lone defender (Great Success) or failed (back to status quo as described in the first post).

Your opposing Poppy had Gunblade and FoN. Did she already get the Triforce/Lichbane and maybe a DFG? My answer is What the heck were you guys thinking, LETTING her get that stuff. There is no straight up counter to a fed Poppy. This is all the stuff I can think of right now that negates the fed Poppy advantage to some extent, and hopefully it'll help you win.

EmpReb

03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirielis View Post
Threads like this are why I jungle Poppy.

It's true, the counter to Poppy is to shut down her early game. That's actually harder than it looks with a melee champion, because she trades ridiculously hard at level 1 with Q, is stupidly hard to kill with that passive, and can run away from most anything. There is a point, however, when her Q isn't doing significant damage any more, and she doesn't have Sheen yet. Smack her around at that time, or not at all. You'll probably make her b more than you actually kill her, but you might also get enough advantage to snowball.

Remember, your Poppy opponent is happy to trade, but happier to bide her time until she gets that Sheen. You make her unhappy by forcing bad trades. Warwick can just heal damage off, Poppy can't; Caitlyn can take free pot shots all day and not miss farm.

If she gets to the point of insta-gibbing your ADC, make said ADC buy a QSS to negate the 40% extra damage. That's about all you can get - no other team member can so much as touch Poppy while her ult is up, and Poppy can chase all day. The rest is good positioning and counterpicking - ADC in the back makes a slightly sadder Poppy, ADC with a long-range jump (think Tristana and Corki) might make her hit your APC instead if they jump away after the ult is used. Which actually solves no problems except your ADC not dying instantly. Teemo or other on-hit built champions shred Poppy because their damage tends to go straight through her passive, at least once the ult wears off.

Alternatively, just split push. This may lead to one of: Your team fights a 4v5 against them, which is exactly what happened before, except now the ADC is pushing instead of dead. Or your team fights a 4v4 while one of theirs goes to kill the ADC, which is better than a 4v5. (It will never be a 4v3, because we already know Poppy can take the ADC out alone.) Although, if they're smart, they will make the 4v4 involve Poppy, creating 3v4 and a lost teamfight. Meanwhile, your ADC has either succeeded in taking the tower against their lone defender (Great Success) or failed (back to status quo as described in the first post).

Your opposing Poppy had Gunblade and FoN. Did she already get the Triforce/Lichbane and maybe a DFG? My answer is What the heck were you guys thinking, LETTING her get that stuff. There is no straight up counter to a fed Poppy. This is all the stuff I can think of right now that negates the fed Poppy advantage to some extent, and hopefully it'll help you win.
I had a crazy poppy late game last night. She always went strait for ashe (I was support Lux). But she wasted her chances Tryn had already pushed her around so much late game that by the time she was diving me and/or Ashe we already could take down two of there champs and then all of our tanks and AP carry just ate her and went on killing the rest of the team. Good poppy but she waited until the game was already over to do anything.

Kerzoro

03-07-2012

get Banshee's Veil. Until the bubble is popped it will deny a: her ult, or b: her charge (you won't get pushed around). Its unlikely she'll be close enough to Q it off you. Of course, once that bubble is gone you are still in trouble, but at least the MR helps. Even AD Poppy mostly deals Magic damage.

ThatSriLankanKid

03-07-2012

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=16923

Edit: True terror