why is ranked so hard for people to understand

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

vulgarwolf

03-05-2012

What is it exactly that people dont understand about ranked champ select..priority is in order of first pick to last...if a role is taken, you take another one...as soon as champ select appears being the 5th player to pick and calling mid, top or jungle is not ettiquette..you can suggest it, but until you learn how ranked works, elo hell will exist forever...learn to play all roles

Dark Ajax

03-05-2012

here here

Haen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2012

Exactly, if you're the lower ELO, you have to trust that the higher ELO is going to play the role better. If you don't like it, keep raising in ELO so you're not the lower one anymore. If I'm a lower pick I'll tell people, hey my best role is AP carry, but if someone else grabs it, guess I'm jungling or support, or whatever.

Narati

03-06-2012

Honestly, if someone calls a champ and/or role, it's probably because they can't play anything else. Why jeopardize the match by making them play a role/champ they can't play?

Though of course, if you're playing ranked, one should be able to cover any role.

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2012

I always call out stating that I can play Solo Top, Jungle and Support best.

If they don't leave any of those positions, I'll fill what is needed, but they have to deal with the potential consequences of their choice. Yes I'll still do my best, but I just don't get the whole AP caster thing, and I'm always out of position with an AD carry.

SaiyntChayde

03-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narati View Post
Honestly, if someone calls a champ and/or role, it's probably because they can't play anything else. Why jeopardize the match by making them play a role/champ they can't play?

Though of course, if you're playing ranked, one should be able to cover any role.
and that is why elo hell is here to stay, due the shift in what should happen and what does. If you solo queue, be able to at least be serviceable in all roles, and let the team know and let the team work out the best set of roles for the team. But look at me, dreaming that the 1100-1400 elo can be civil and troll-free every game...

Elodin

03-06-2012

In the same vein of needing to know a lot of champions, it's not enough just to know how to play multiple roles, it's also really important to know how to counter pick, no it won't win you the game by itself, but if the enemy team has multiple melee champions and you take Ashe, it'll help a lot.

yagis

03-06-2012

This is flawed in my mind. ELO is imprecise at best, and fluctuates frequently. Someone sufficiently close to me to be paired with me via matchmaking is surely sufficiently close that we should all be trying to compromise as to roles on which we're best.

In other words, this is totally backwards; If someone says their bad at Ranged AD, and their last pick, stop making them pick Ranged AD.

JKrentzien

03-06-2012

i have not played ranked and only drafted one time in normals.... so i'll just say a personal opinion...

But for my understanding of how things works (what i have read so far on the forums)... comunication in teams starts in champion select... maybe calling a role and being last its a bad choice of words, but as some have suggested, saying that you play best A or B role over the others should be the norm and if that person is last, could ask for someone to pick a champion for them and then trade champs (thats the reason for the trade button).... so someone who is more adept at all roles could fill in the missing ones, and offer the other guys their prefered (better played) roles...

This should be a must in solo que, more than ranked team (were team communication its already implied)... if no one says anything you are oppening yourself to raging (or trolling) and bad team comps, even if you have a great game or not...

SkeletalArm

03-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagis View Post
This is flawed in my mind. ELO is imprecise at best, and fluctuates frequently. Someone sufficiently close to me to be paired with me via matchmaking is surely sufficiently close that we should all be trying to compromise as to roles on which we're best.

In other words, this is totally backwards; If someone says their bad at Ranged AD, and their last pick, stop making them pick Ranged AD.
Could not agree with this more. I tell people I'm bad at AD and then we'll have only one AD (that is usually ranged AD) and we got 2 ap, a support, and the tank. Little do they realise that we could probably win just fine if I just stick with assists or something like that.