Should I use smartcast?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cursedZerow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2012

I play mostly AP champions like LeBlanc, Orianna and Annie, but I play with Nocturne and Riven too

Shaidyn

03-05-2012

I turned on smart cast and I'm never going back. Your reaction time is so much faster.

Sokar468

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2012

For high-level play of AP mid mages like Leblanc, Annie, etc., I find smartcasting essential. Since you deal your damage with combos of abilities, you need to chain them as quickly as possible. Smartcasting allows you do this much more easily IMO.

cursedZerow

03-05-2012

but it won't make it worse for any champion?

Hideous Z

03-05-2012

You can always change it back if you don't like it on a certain champ. Re-binding the keys takes like 5 seconds. But outside of one or two abilities (Veigar's stun is the only one I can think of off-hand) smart cast is better. Faster reaction times, faster combos...I notice a lot of EU pros don't use it, but most of the US pros do. So maybe there's a different philosophy over there. But for my part smartcast is the way to go.

TheDenaliBear42

03-05-2012

i tried smart casting with Cassiopeia it made a huge difference, i used it on riven, basically no difference. It just depends on what champ youre useing. and hideouszibleback is right, it doesnt take that long to turn on and off

Blother

03-05-2012

can someone explain what smartcast is? I'm not really sure about it.

Shaidyn

03-05-2012

I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but smartcast automatically targets the enemy or ally under your mouse pointer. This saves you having to click a second time to get your skills off.

CounterSnipe

03-05-2012

The basic rule is that anything that's a "click to activate" skill such as annie's ult or annie's Q works best in smart cast. You can activate the skills much faster.

Anything that is a "skill shot" such as annie's W, morgana's Q, Lux's Q, and Riven's Ult should be left as regular cast so you can chose the best direction for the skill to travel in.

Sxq

03-05-2012

Instead of pressing Q and then clicking your target, you just hover your mouse over your target and press Q

For target abilities like that it's pretty easy, and you can use skills faster

It gets a bit trickier trying to learn smartcasting for skillshots or wall type abilities because you're essentially shooting them blind, without the range indicator.
There is an option to show smartcast ranges, which shows the range of a skill while holding the button, and casts when you let go. However I personally dislike this option because it's actually slower than not smartcasting.