Thornmail :(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zielmann

03-05-2012

There's also the fact that the first 3/4ths of the game don't mean anything in dominion. It's easier to come back from behind than to hold a lead, especially a large lead, in dominion.

Geryth

03-05-2012

As what ricklessabandon said, thornmail just shut YOU down, not the "entire team".

You lost because your Morde built like an idiot, only one MR item and no spellvamp, he went glass cannon AP and it's easy to see why he was killed 16 times. Also, by the lack of deaths on that Heimer, it would seem they just played a lot smarter by ganking bottom whereas your team did not.

My analysis of that screenshot is this:
1) Thornmail simply stopped you individually from carrying the team to victory. You were the driving force that secured top lane wins, so stopping you halted the domination.

2) That Heimer should have been wrecked by a good Morde. He was out-built and out-played on that alone. You were winning top, Morde was losing bottom.

3) Your entire team was outplayed in general as it appears they ganked bottom more. Morde has 16 deaths but Heimer is only 9 kills 7 assists. This means he got a lot of help. All it would take is Irelia and Morde diving on Heimer and there would be nothing he could do but get maybe a single grenade down on one of you and one rockets before you could melt him. Then Irelia could run right back to top. This obviously didn't happen much if at all.

4) If it was Lux at bottom lane and not Morde, then you can ignore point 3 and you sorely misplaced your lanes as Lux has the much needed CC and poke for the top lane.

This is really just a show of how they adapted and built to what they were facing to get the win, not a show of how Thornmail is OP. At the same time, you built no MR, at the very least you should have switched your zerker greaves to mercs, that would have cut down the thornmail damage by a bit, and 3 of their 4 top laners were mostly AP damage so that would have been a much better item all around. Not to mention the less stun time from amumu and taunt time by shen. Outplayed and outclassed my friend, not a loss by an OP item.

Ikarurob

03-05-2012

really wish ******bag complainers would stop posting threads they obviously arent comming back to

Risemix

03-05-2012

Wit's End is excellent for countering Thornmail and on dominion in general. Nice mix of damage and durability for 2000 gold.

concretebuddha

03-05-2012

Rammus says...

okay

03-05-2012

I think the problem is that you think you can hyper-carry in dominion when it's really not possible. It takes coordinated attacks and proper planning by the team to win. It looks like the other team did that so you got outplayed. Thornmail was just a tool used as a team to ensure victory, not the only reason they won.

Roundabout

03-05-2012

Doesn't MR lessen the effects of Thornmail? Being that the returned damage is magic damage. I would substitute the utility of that Frozen Mallet for some MR with an Odyn's Veil.

Edit: Or Wit's end like Risemix said. >.>

Quiver

03-05-2012

You could have probably countered that with a little bit more lifesteal, but it doesnt look like you were the reason your team lost anyways...

just saying.

Yousonerfed

03-05-2012

I'm of the opinion that Thornmails are a tad too strong in Dominion, simply because they're so easy to get and so freaking efficient compared to in Classic mode.

IMO, a slightly-weaker variant of Thornmail should be available in Dominion as a replacement.

Furied

03-05-2012

I've been trying to find a way to counter thornmail spam, like building a razor, double sanguine blade, wit's end, etc., but it just isn't working. There are so many powerful armor items that you can fit some into just about any champ's build.

Also, I was bot lane that game.