When to Upgrade HoG and Philo Stone?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2W1ck3d

03-04-2012

Hello fellow summoners,

I play normal games with a few buddies and trying to learn the support role as that is what is currently needed in my group.

When do you guys suggest upgrading HoG and Philo Stone into Locket of Iron Solari and Shurelya's? (ASAP, Mid Game, Late Game?)

Thanks.

CopperBuck

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2012

If they keep focusing your carry like every single time, i would suggest getting Solari, especially if you're playing some like Janna.
Shurelya is just awesome for the team to chase down or escape, if you dont have a tank or anyone in your team getting an Aegis, i would suggest finishing Aegis first and then getting those two.
And, remember to always have space for wards

Dera Mochimazzi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2012

Depends on how your game is going. Its usually a good idea to leave the gold items in your inventory for atleast 20 mins where the gold/10s turns into a profit.

The time i get shurelya's depends on how my team and enemy team are. Its great for chasing/running away so its fine to get it early. Locket usually comes after that, or maybe aegis then locket.

@above
I dont see how Janna is related to getting solari. Janna can keep enemies off your carries so easily. Solari is mainly there as an extra defence. Its really good against AoE team comps.

CopperBuck

03-04-2012

I would say upgrade them around the 20-25 minute mark, coz before that all you need is gp10, Aegis, wards and an Oracle to take out their wards.

CopperBuck

03-04-2012

That is true, i usually get Solari on Janna, Shen, Leona though, idk why, its like an extra shield along with their shields and it works awesome for me

2W1ck3d

03-04-2012

Thank you guys for the replies. Love this game never gets old, got a lot to learn still.

Hype Algerian

03-04-2012

Shurelya's Reverie: As soon as you get your boots finished, work on it.

Locket of the Iron Solari: I don't usually get that item but it's personal preference. I prefer getting an item that enhances the support character I play as.
- Soraka needs that Morello's tome for cooldowns and more potent heals.
- You may have many AD characters in your team => Zeke's herald is your friend.
- Many AP (mage) characters => Will of the Ancients (if nobody or only one in your team actually purchased it).
- Need some tankiness => Aegis of the Legion before Shurelya's reverie.

I would only get Locket after Zeke's / WotA / etc.

Your priority, however, is to ward critical spots while taking down enemy wards (Oracle's Elixir is your friend to see wards). There are games where I find myself not even completing a single item, instead resorting to purchasing a 3rd GP10 item (Kage's Lucky Pick) to keep up with warding.

Burbinator

03-04-2012

Plan on finishing shurelyas by the time laning phase ends. The active is incredibly useful. Of course warding is still your #1 priority.

Richard Lazer

03-04-2012

later for HoG and philo stone when you start team fighting

Traiborn

03-05-2012

I don't support often, but when i do i upgrade my gold per 10 items last. Seeing as support items can be pretty expensive when you're not getting kills or much Cs.
Not sure if this is the "best" thing to do, but it works for me.