How to Counter Fiora: A Discussion Panel

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Benjiboy87

03-02-2012

Hello, everyone!

I would like to start a (civil) discussion of how to counter Fiora, since a number of players seem to be convinced that she's overpowered and in need of some serious nerfs.

Let me start by conceding that the bonus AD from Riposte is rather high, and the AS bonus from Burst of Speed may well be a little too high at max ranks. However, these issues can be greatly mitigated by taking some simple measures to counter her early game.

I will follow up by confessing that I am a Fiora player, and I do rather well with her in most situations because the community hasn't learned to deal with her yet. While it may seem counter to my interests to reveal to everyone how to counter one of my new favorite champions, I would rather fight uphill battles because my opponents are well-informed than because Riot responded violently to a massive community outcry.

Now then, to the actual discussion.

I have noticed that most people who play Fiora (at least at the low ELO I'm stuck in) tend to do horribly with her, which seems to imply that there is a bit of inherent skill needed to play her. So, counter number one - the person playing her is a moron and expects her to be as easy as Nasus.

Second point - tanks are really hard for Fiora to deal with early game, especially if they have harass abilities and can keep her away from her minions. As an example, I once ended up solo top against a Shen. He was smart - he used his q early game to harass me away from the creep waves and built armor when he went back, putting me not only at a CS disadvantage, but also making me unable to do much damage to him.

Another example - I faced off against a Dr. Mundo on top, and was foolish enough to have packed exhaust instead of ignite, figuring I could do more damage running an opponent down than throwing a DoT on them. He hung back, hurled briefcases, and built a lot of health, keeping me out of the minion wave and avoiding death.

A third example, though a bit less obvious - Pantheon, with his shield passive, makes an EXCELLENT counter to Fiora. It's simple - you harass with your spear, and you wait until Fiora hits Burst of Speed (the animation and sound make it obvious when she does) to use your stun leap - unless you use it to initiate.

Basic case that I'm trying to make is that any tanky champion with a harass ability can push Fiora around. In addition, guess what the current solo top meta is! Tanky dps!

I would like to encourage all constructive comments and any (once again, civil) input from the players about how legitimate you feel this review is, as well as any further input into how to counter Fiora.

EDIT: Minor removal in response to suggestion.

Hakari L

03-02-2012

the answer is always CC

Coulombe

03-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthywes5t24 View Post
the answer is always CC
I didn't read the original post, but this one is good enough anyway.

Benjiboy87

03-02-2012

There's also that. Drop some CC on her, and she melts like the squishy AD carry she is.

Benjiboy87

03-02-2012

Bump.

Ferrio

03-02-2012

-CC
-Ignite/Exhaust her before she does her ult
-She still takes AOE damage during her ult. Capitalize on that.
-Most imporant: Don't let her farm/feed her, just like every other carry in the game.

orc72

03-02-2012

the only real hard to counter problem about fiora is if shes stacking tiamats. 4 Tiamats + Last whisper gives her 200% splash damage of +240 (so around 300) ad with alot of armor pen. Why is this good on her? If she comes in the middle of a team fight (like squishy melee carrys like her are suppose to do) she has up to 3000 ad burst. For those of you who think im joking
http://youtu.be/Z55bU29q0zU
you can check out that players match history. Hes carried as her with that build in several games. And there isn't really a counter to that. You can stack armor, but she already has a last whisper. You can spred out, but thats a catch 22 depending on the team (notice hes playing with a poppy and an udyr, two champions who excel at taking out people away from the team) It doesn't help that she can tower dive an entire team with this tactic, get the burst off, and not have taken any damage.

PrincessDerpy

03-02-2012

She's Juggernaut from DoTA with a more versatile general skillset but a weaker ult until she itemizes. In lane the only way for her to win trades is to flat out do more damage than her opponent.

Whenever her opponent engages her, she needs to retaliate, or she will lose the lane to attrition. She wants to keep rough parity with the opposing laner until 6. Once she hits 6, expect her to force the issue with her ult if she has a chance of killing you with ult + ignite.

Her passive steroid doesn't feel that out of line in context. She's squishy with little natural defense and only an hp5 passive to keep her in the lane, and both of her preferred 'lanes' are highly competitive zones. Ditto for the burst attack speed on E, the number looks nice and big, but that's rank 5 and she only has the boost for 3 seconds.

Basically you can either hard counterpick with Malphite, or you can be SMART and expect an engage whenever you harass because she can't afford to give you free harass.

Ferrio

03-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by orc72 View Post
the only real hard to counter problem about fiora is if shes stacking tiamats. 4 Tiamats + Last whisper gives her 200% splash damage of +240 (so around 300) ad with alot of armor pen. Why is this good on her? If she comes in the middle of a team fight (like squishy melee carrys like her are suppose to do) she has up to 3000 ad burst. For those of you who think im joking
http://youtu.be/Z55bU29q0zU
you can check out that players match history. Hes carried as her with that build in several games. And there isn't really a counter to that. You can stack armor, but she already has a last whisper. You can spred out, but thats a catch 22 depending on the team (notice hes playing with a poppy and an udyr, two champions who excel at taking out people away from the team) It doesn't help that she can tower dive an entire team with this tactic, get the burst off, and not have taken any damage.

You realize how small the splash is right? You don't really have to even spread out, just don't be touching each other.

And if somehow you've allowed a carry to get 4 tiamats and a last whisper 24 minutes into the game, you've already lost the game.

cLo

03-02-2012

Renekton

12345 ... 7