Why don't people play Poppy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moka Goes Hard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2012

I play her solotop quite often, and I dominate my lane 90% of the time. I wreck all the usual solotop picks, only losing to Irelia and Olaf. Olaf I can even come back from a bad early game against him as well. I'm wondering why nobody seems to play her when she has the burst of an assasin, in addition to tankyness, a free initiate, and the burst capable to take out most tanky dps and carries.

Inb4 downvotes from SSoPP c(:

FaerellG

03-02-2012

Cause she's a crappy farmer and easy to counter pick. This makes her entirely reliant on your opponent being bad.

UltraKill

03-02-2012

Sigh, I wish more people wouldn't pick Poppy. She just doesn't fit the current Meta and is a mess.

I'm glad you have had success with her, but I've seen teams win with Heim, Mundo, Eve, and others. In lower ELO, it's more about teamwork than anything else. Sometimes that will beat the meta when one teams is better than the others by a wide margin.

Secondly, in higher ELO, a good player should force you out of farming and deny you exp when possible.

Finally, in team fights, there are much better choices. I'd rather have just about anyone else, save Riven.

LancerXXX

03-02-2012

These responses... I get the feeling they're coming from people who've never actually played Poppy properly.

Devastating Blow is a stupidly massive beatstick, she can survive in sustained fights due to her W, beatsticks and executes don't work on her because of her passive, and her ultimate allows her to tower-dive like crazy. With her E of course. Which ensures that you cannot dive Poppy.

How does this not fit the meta...? Although I would like to add that Udyr probably beats Poppy, simply because his sustain is just stupid once he gets Wriggles, and his beatstick is DoT magic damage... not an instant chunk of physical damage...

And let me get this straight, you would rather have another tanky DPS like the useless Garen in a teamfight than Poppy? Who can pretty much instantly kill the enemy carry? With no danger to herself?

Chingmeister

03-02-2012

The meta has top bruiser rolling face on keyboard for 1k+ AoE damage while being tanky and single target dpsing. See Riven, GP, Nasus, etc.

Poppy is short 1k+ AoE damage. Poppy's stats and skills don't grow significantly faster than any other tanky, and definitely not enough to make up for losing 1k AoE team damage.

40% more damage from Poppy's ult is definitely not equal to 5k damage from cannon barrage, and invulnerability is almost pointless since top lane tankies are normally last to die anyways.

Spinewhip

03-02-2012

People don't play Poppy more because everyone says she doesn't fit the meta and scares them off. But then people like SpamHappy play 100% Poppy in ranked, give zero ****s about who they're versing, in any lane, and climb to 2203 elo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingmeister View Post

....and invulnerability is almost pointless since top lane tankies are normally last to die anyways.
I don't even...

Fiddelstacks

03-02-2012

I've played against a good Poppy lately, I snared her as Lux, slowed her with my Orb, and flashed to get away, but she still caught up.
She does massive damage, the only reason I wouldn't play her is that she is definitely someone who needs to know what they're doing and not fail. One misclick on poppy could result in a bad initiation and a lot of irritation.

JenAmara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Kitsune View Post
I've played against a good Poppy lately, I snared her as Lux, slowed her with my Orb, and flashed to get away, but she still caught up.
She does massive damage, the only reason I wouldn't play her is that she is definitely someone who needs to know what they're doing and not fail. One misclick on poppy could result in a bad initiation and a lot of irritation.
lol... that may have been me. Also this is totally right I have never versed a Poppy so I began to play her more. When you play a rare champ like Kennen, Poppy, Oriana, etc. people panic and don't know how to prepare themselves. Those rare champs. are the reason I play.

BloodySpearz

03-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BcB Moka View Post
only losing to Irelia and Olaf.
I played about 7 games today solo top. 5 of them were against Irelia.

Nea De Penserhir

03-04-2012

Because high sustain champs can eat her mana early on and then easily force her out of lane.

Poppy is an assassin / hyper carry and heavily dependent on items for longevity; Her late game damage is stupid and a farmed Poppy forces the entire team to build to mitigate her damage as much as possible. The trade off is her early game is actually really, really weak, and facing a competent top and Jungler will ensure Poppy's farm is low enough that her late game won't come until very late game.

Someone stated it quite well.

If Poppy's keeping up with your farm, you're losing.

Countering Toppy
A) Champions with ranged harass
B) Champions with high sustain.
C) Champions that provide a complementary skill set to the jungler (CC for high dps junglers, high dps for high cc junglers)

Counerting Poppy in the Team Fight
A) Wards. Watch your flanks.
B) Banshee on the "desirable" diplomatic targets. (Supports, champs with no CC.)
C) Poke, poke, poke.
D) Extreme amounts of AoE damage. Poppy lives? It's a shame her entire team is dead. 4v1 go!