Morello - This is a serious issue and you are responsible

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1rReL3v4n7

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmblodded20 View Post
You have a point, but I still think people are biased towards Riot employees for no particularly good reason other than the fact that they are Riot employees.
most people feel a need to put the blame on someone when something doesn't go their way.

Nukemouse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassu View Post
DotA's complexities are also what hurt it a lot at times, unfortunately. DotA has an antiquated design.
This is a mindset which is very damaging to video games, that complexity is antiquated. It leads to things like the Xcom remake which removes all aspects of decision making beyond where to move to and what to shoot at each turn. It leads to things like FPS games with corridor levels.
Complexity is not the enemy, bad design is. If you cannot tell the difference then you need to learn it or shut up.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T Whitz View Post
1. it would take less work than balancing people for both (or even all three maps).
2. it's not like the communities aren't already split, and what would be so wrong about splitting them? This change would actually make me want to play every mode because of these differences (but I'd still probably stick with SR).
3. How would this be confusing? Every champ would feel balanced on every map, it's not like they're changing their abilities or anything. I really don't get what would be confusing.
Honestly it might be 'easier,' but it would require a lot more work. Imagine needing to keep three different Mundo skillsets/numbers in your head. Now try to balance someone around one particular set without forgetting what he's like.

Oh wait, you're not a designer. Okay then, do you already know enough about the numbers of each champion that you're willing to essentially triple the amount you need to know? Sure you might not need to know exact numbers, but you typically have a feel for how frequently a champion can use X ability to your Y.

Separate balancing would be clunky, inefficient, and probably single-handedly kill the game.

Jassu

04-20-2012

Quote:
I agree, to an extent. Again, I'm arguing for a middle ground between the two - a game that does have a burden, but one not as extreme as DotA
That'd be neat. Curious as to how that would work out.

warmblodded20

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rReL3v4n7 View Post
most people feel a need to put the blame on someone when something doesn't go their way.
It's true, I suppose. I throw my opinion out as often as I can, often I'm wrong. But at least, I make the effort to debate and even though I'm wrong, I learn much about how people feel on topics and I learn how to conduct myself better to be more effective at communicating my point. I'm not perfect, but I'm better than I used to be.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-20-2012

Quote:
It's true, I suppose. I throw my opinion out as often as I can, often I'm wrong. But at least, I make the effort to debate and even though I'm wrong, I learn much about how people feel on topics and I learn how to conduct myself better to be more effective at communicating my point. I'm not perfect, but I'm better than I used to be.
I hope you realize that's not what he was getting at...

xYoisuisux

04-20-2012

*sigh* still don't see why giving the stealth champs a little stat buff would break them anymore than what riot has already broke them.

1rReL3v4n7

Recruiter

04-20-2012

Quote:
more simple then that, you say whats on your mind and end it at that. It doesn't matter if someone wants to argue the fact, you sated your point and thats the end of it

Jassu

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukemouse View Post
This is a mindset which is very damaging to video games, that complexity is antiquated. It leads to things like the Xcom remake which removes all aspects of decision making beyond where to move to and what to shoot at each turn. It leads to things like FPS games with corridor levels.
Complexity is not the enemy, bad design is. If you cannot tell the difference then you need to learn it or shut up.
I'm not saying DotA's complexities make it antiquated—please don't misinterpret my statement. DotA's design compared to LoL's is outdated—lack of mage scaling, carries being more equivalent to hyper carries, and so forth. General things like that. The complexity that DotA uses is detrimental at times, especially in the hero design.

Joshambo

04-20-2012

I kinda thought eve sucked before the nerf, my team would always buy oracles or wards so she was never a problem to me.