Morello - This is a serious issue and you are responsible

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ScubaDivingPoop

03-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Does it? Based on what? The game is more balanced right now than it ever has been, and new champions dramatically increase player retention and engagement - that's the REAL metrics that judge success. IE; do people like our game.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't do those things too, but it does mean we shouldn't "scorched earth" the other things players get excited about. It's easy to think anecdotal evidence (especially when reinforced by self-selected peer groups) is representative of players as a group, but it rarely is - this is true of mine, yours or anyone's.
You honestly don't see the problem with making new champs? The more you put out the more you neglect and the more you have to constantly look at. Balance in this game is a joke right now. Im talking about champs who are left in the dust and have not been touched or updated in a LONG time. Champs that have been made since release who are outdated compared to what is being released right now. That is why constantly releasing champs is a problem. But then again you need to make money so why stop right? At the end of the day you still want your pay check and all your motives are money driven.

Morello

Lead Designer

03-15-2012
12 of 90 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summoner Whimsy View Post
I guess it's pointless to even suggest at this point, but why don't you just rework her kit completely until the stealth rework is done? Like, just start from scratch. It seems like that would be more easily done than the stealth rework at this point considering how long it's taken this far with still NO concrete information.

Edit: To be fair, I believe what they did to Eve was for the best, but it does seem unfair that they pretty much removed a champion from the game without removing her from the game. I do agree that this is a behavioral problem, but some of it is on Riot too.
We're doing both - the primary work we have to do is kit-based....the stealth system itself is pretty complete. It's all the kit work now.

bahamutkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2012

Unfortunately, when Riot says balance... They mean the metagame, not all champion options... it's obvious to players and riot staff that some champs are up and more of them arnt fun to play...

Beyond that, balance has been improving, just because its not perfect doesnt mean things havent been fixed, Shen and ww just got buffs recently, eve and Katarina are still struggling, Morde Xin and Hiem are still too circumstantial...

Better doesn't mean perfect... And with new champs all the time there will always be some indescrepancies. The main issue is making them all at least viable and as fun as possible. One major thing to remeber is that balance is a necessity, bit fun is the ultimate priority.

Lord Graves III

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2012

Quote:
We're doing both - the primary work we have to do is kit-based....the stealth system itself is pretty complete. It's all the kit work now.
OOOOOoooooOOOOOh

Any chance we could weedle some info on the core stealth system? Or is that not set in stone enough to wanna talk about till kits are done too?

Morello

Lead Designer

03-15-2012
13 of 90 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaDivingPoop View Post
Balance in this game is a joke right now.
Based on what? My metric is the fact that the greatest variety of champions are viable and were used in IEM Hanover than ever before, both in total # and %, despite the growing number of champions. If releasing champions did negatively effect balance, the opposite would be true. also remember this tournament had alternate meta strategies involved, showing even greater diversity.

It is a problem that remakes have taken awhile, but "balance is a joke" is really off-base considering the contrary data. Balance is consistently improving, which is why the remake thing is the hot-button issue - balance itself is really good right now, and a handful of outliers on the low end doesn't change that (even though those are things we should fix, too).

"Balance is bad" is a red herring that is fueled by shallow or poor analysis. That's not your jobs as players, of course, but if you're going to talk design, be prepared to back it

M0MENTUM

03-15-2012

Quote:
Any details on the new system itself? My hope is for something that isn't absolutely raped by Oracles like it is now, stealth doesn't scale well into late game because of it.

Swenka

03-15-2012

@Morello: Xypherous had mentioned that since it has taken far too long to complete, that almost no matter what, most will be disappointed. I can guess that you feel the same, or at least similar?

Are there any plans, if you can comment, for a new stealth-based champ to be released with or within the near future (0-6 months) of the rework's arrival?

--
Unrelated: I want top hats and monocles. For all. :3

Edit: The question above me: any way to sticky or have an announcement of compiled info? Since most people that makes threads such as this rarely have -all- of the info, it could help. /shrug.

Morello

Lead Designer

03-15-2012
14 of 90 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0MENTUM View Post
Any details on the new system itself? My hope is for something that isn't absolutely raped by Oracles like it is now, stealth doesn't scale well into late game because of it.
Not until it's locked so I can give real, concrete things. I don't want more "maybe this, soon" from us.

Xoripan

03-15-2012

dear nerf master suck town.

Buff teemo.

Pd: i love you-

Verandriel

03-15-2012

Quote:
I can make a perfectly balanced game right now. It's called "take a penny." There are 10 pennies. Both players take turns taking a penny. When all the pennies are gone, the player with the most pennies wins.
I feel tempted to downvote you because that game is totally imbalanced.
Whoever starts the game with more pennies in his/her wallet wins. Totally unfair.