Morello - This is a serious issue and you are responsible

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NicoThePico

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2012

Morello, thanks for doing a fantastic job with the community, since you came back you have answered so many questions, and it means so much for us that you take the time to comment, I just have one question for you, which is out of your area, but still;
Do you know if there is any talk about server transfer, account transfers from us-eu and vice versa, I've seen tonns of posts about it, and just wondering if there is any talk bout it!

Again, thanks for answerering so much, we love you !

RapZero

03-15-2012

Didn't realize viktor broke the meta

ˆMakotoˆ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Does it? Based on what? The game is more balanced right now than it ever has been, and new champions dramatically increase player retention and engagement - that's the REAL metrics that judge success. IE; do people like our game.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't do those things too, but it does mean we shouldn't "scorched earth" the other things players get excited about. It's easy to think anecdotal evidence (especially when reinforced by self-selected peer groups) is representative of players as a group, but it rarely is - this is true of mine, yours or anyone's.
I cant say that I agree with this Morello. To me, what you've just stated that getting new players and money is more important then improving older parts of the game for older loyal players. I understand a new champion every 2 weeks probably brings in INSANELY high amounts of money with the double skin bundle ... but if you slowed it down .. say ... 2 champions a month .. or 1 champion a month and put more effort into balance and reworking outdated portions of the game you would likely have higher success. Obviously I have no real basis for this suggestion as I dont work for riot, but thats an honest players point of view.

This is my personal experience, I tend to buy every champion that comes out whether with IP or RP, on release date ... but the thing is ... there are SOOO many new champions constantly coming out ... I get annoyed because I never know who to play or who to get good with .. I know that sounds like its possibly a good thing having too much choice .. but at the same time .. its annoying.

Have you considered just taking like 1-2months off, and fullheartedly dedicated a majority of your game design / other staff to balance / reworking / changing old mechanics.

You could easily still leave a small team working on champions say (1 every 3-4 weeks), but push the rest of the people to work on balance / reworks?

Obviously this wouldnt be for good, just a 1-2month project of "catch up" so to speak .. to get everything back on track.

Finly Erkenwald

03-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventHawk7 View Post
Every new champion you add to the game breaks the Meta constantly in terms of viable line-ups and trust-worthy champions that are considered good at the positions they are picked for. That's why, and that's a fact, you can't deny that since Vayne was added and then Graves was added that they became a huge and one of the most picked AD carries for a long time over the older ranged AD carries.

If you don't take that as proof then I don't know how to help ya man, I really don't :\

Also, I suggest before you continue making responses such as "We don't ban players for wanting to play Evelynn" Then to personally yourself should cycle through every single report made against players who take Evelynn and genuinely try, and end up getting banned for it, in order for your statement to be true. Wipe clean these reports on players and then we'll believe you.

In other words, if you can't promise and protect players from this alone, then disable her for awhile. I'm not talking about the people who have bad behavior overall no matter what champion they play, I'm talking about players who get reported just for playing Evelynn (with a good attitude towards others).
Vayne was nerfed, as was Graves, when Riot found them to be too strong. If they are still played now, perhaps you should consider that it is because people enjoy playing them; it could be they like their kits more, or because they welcome a change from the old line-up?

Also, do you actually know of someone who has been suspended or banned because they played Evelynn? Not just reported, not just knowing someone who clicked "Guilty" for someone playing Eve, but someone who was actually suspended or banned with no other justifiable reason? Until I have seen actual prood to the contrary, I am willing to believe Pendragon when he says that Riot staff will not follow through with any such suspension or ban.

Fox P McCloud

03-15-2012

Quote:
It's easy to think anecdotal evidence (especially when reinforced by self-selected peer groups) is representative of players as a group, but it rarely is - this is true of mine, yours or anyone's.
Does this go for the Riot design team, too? =p

Jaymy

03-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamorsha View Post
I fail to see how this is just Morello's responsibility and why he is the one demanded to take pressure.
Maybe because this is a topic surrounding champion and he is the LEAD CHAMPION DESIGNER????

Come on, Riot has purposely made Phreak and Morello take the forefront on the community interaction. We use to see more people when they had the invterview version of patch videos but now its all Morello and Phreak so of course they are going to receive the brunt of the hate.

Pilige

03-15-2012

A break from new champs would be nice for a while, especially if it meant new maps, or reworked mechanics, or reworking older champs that either need new mechanics (Kayle and Yorick) or new classifications (Gangplank, who seems to change what he is every few months based on items).

oic869

03-15-2012

morello serious question ive been around the forums alot and see that people are ready to explode cuz of this stealth / eve / twitch stuff and im curious as well but i own too many champs to really care that much about 1 or 2. anyway out of pure curiosity u made a post saying if the remakes took too long then you would give eve a little boost to quell the fire. its been quite a while and the remake is not really looking close to finished so when is even getting that boost or is she at all?

Sergar

03-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventHawk7 View Post
Every new champion you add to the game breaks the Meta constantly in terms of viable line-ups and trust-worthy champions that are considered good at the positions they are picked for. That's why, and that's a fact, you can't deny that since Vayne was added and then Graves was added that they became a huge and one of the most picked AD carries for a long time over the older ranged AD carries.

If you don't take that as proof then I don't know how to help ya man, I really don't :\
The reason Vayne and Graves were omnipresent is because they were overpowered, not new. Sivir is from alpha, but when she got her (overpowered) remake, she started to show up EVERYWHERE. There is absolutely no solution to the problem you describe other then to make absolutely no balance changes or champion additions.

Oberic

03-15-2012

Quote:
Does it? Based on what? The game is more balanced right now than it ever has been, and new champions dramatically increase player retention and engagement - that's the REAL metrics that judge success. IE; do people like our game.
Player retention indeed. When new champs are delayed I find myself doing other things more, such as HoN, watching netflix, extra minecraft. etc.

Need those new champs to keep me interested. I'd even go for two champs every two weeks for a couple patches to make up for the previous delays.