[Counter/Guide]How to stop a Shaco

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SparrowMaxx

07-29-2010

Hey there. I know a lot of people complain about Shaco being OP. He went godlike. He can escape too fast. He does too much damage. A trend I've noticed, though, is that anyone who's played Shaco don't usually complain about him being OP. Misbalanced, maybe, but not OP. So I'm going to go over some basic rules that should stop you from hearing "An enemy is godlike!" whenever you got put against a Shaco.

First, let me go over his abilities so we're all on the same page:

Passive: Shaco can do extra damage if he attacks from behind. That'll start to sting (20% more damage) late game especially on a attack damage shaco.
Deceive: 10 Second cooldown. Shaco flashes away and steals for about 6 seconds. Notice it's only 6- and a ten second cooldown. 10 Seconds should be quite enough to at least harm shaco to force him to recall. He is most weak now- his big reveal is his biggest weakness. Strike hard and fast and make him think twice.

Jack-in-the-box: 15 second cooldown. As long as shaco isn't playing AP shaco, this is only a problem for his fear. A good Shaco will place this Jack right in your escape route. Think you got away? Poof! Feared for 1.5 seconds, enough for shaco to catch up or land the final blow. Also, check out the section on AP Shaco to learn more.

Two-Shiv: 8(?) sec cooldown. Shaco throws a knife at you, which can maybe blind and slow you. This knife, unless AP shaco, is negligible until late game. When he reaches level 5 of this thing- it's scary. If he is power-leveling it early, he'll be doing about 1 bar of HP even to HP-heavy champs with it. Watch out. It's a effective harass.

Hallucinate: I bet you know this one. Makes a clone that explodes when it dies. Check out the section on it. It has a 30ish second cooldown late game- watch out.

COUNTERING SHACO
First things first, read this. The rest of it is kind of indepth, to assure you know what a Shaco might use against you. But here I've got what you need to do to stop all those 2v1 ganks, either direction.

Early game, a vision ward at barely 100 gold (like 6 minions worth) will protect you from shaco. Put it in the middle of the lane in mid, or put it a little bit towards the river on the lanes. The split second you see him will probably save your life- you can run away from a gank or attack Shaco in his moment of weakness- when he's not invisible. You might even turn around a gank if they don't know about the wards. Place a sight ward nearby, and you won't get ganked by him, period. Just watch your back. And try, if you can, to place a ward when nobody can see it- you've cleared a minion wave or something. That way, nobody will expect it when that Shaco gets owned.
If you do see him coming, you need to not only run (which you should do almost immediately) but punish him for trying to pull one over on you. If you can, use a harass or combo as you escape- first time, he won't see it coming, and if he does it again he's pretty stupid. You can probably scare him off that way.

Late game, it's more of a struggle. You'll need a oracle on you most likely, but if you're feeding and backed to your base just place some vision wards around your base where the turret sight won't reach. It's cheaper. Get the oracle earlier as the Shaco does better, as early as level 8. Encourage your team to do the same- 3 oracles should be enough to repel shaco without a team. As a Shaco, oracles really restrict me. I can't get close to anyone with a good CC, or I'll die, especially if they're DPS (I.E. Jax and Xin, my worst nightmare.)

NOT-TO-DO
Never, EVER push a lane past a first turret unless you see the shaco or know where he is. If you don't see him, assume you have about 20 seconds. He may not be being agressive- and some well placed sight wards should keep you in the loop about where he is. It's not much of a disability, but it's my favorite sort of gank- one teammate comes from the center of the lane right at you, and then Poof! I come around, shiv you, and you're done for. Don't let it happen.

Also, don't run around with less than 200 health before level 10, and less than 400 health otherwise. You should be recalling anyway, but not enough people do. Seriously, back. Especially if a shaco is nearby. He can dive you, even if you see him coming with the turret. Recall as soon as possible. He probably won't follow you past your first turret until late game, but yo need to be sure you're safe. With a flash and a shiv, I can get you right next to your turret. I get at least 2 kills a game from this, especially on Twisted Treeline.

Don't get in Shaco's way when he has a clone out. I'll go over how to spot a clone, but just know that his damage is doubled with a clone out and late game when it explodes only a tank can shrug it off. Harass the clone to death, don't 1v1 it. I'm suprised how many kills I have gotten from this, actually. I run at, say, a Warwick, but I underestimate his ult or my cleanse is on cooldown. I put out my clone and shiv and deceive to no avail- his lifesteal has me. So, he finds the real me, and kills me. I exhale and kick myself for being so dumb, but then- what? He's taking down my clone at 100 hp!
You have been slain!
You have slain an enemy!
If you have another teammate, his clone shouldn't be that much of a problem, especially if you find him and not his clone. But one-on-one, he's fairly dangerous and can use that ability often.

Don't overestimate yourself. You're 500 hp, Shaco is 200, his poof is on cooldown. He runs into a bush. Bad choice- you followed him. You get feared, which is enough for either
A. The shaco to get away.
B. The deceive cooldown to go off.
C. His clone to come out.
D. He kills you- shiv, maybe deceive, clone too. you're dead while you're feared.

I recently had a game where I just finished getting a kill and was about 250 hp. As I ran, Twtich appears and begins to slow and attack me. He thinks he has me, because he has full health and I have 150 now. I'm far away from any turret. So, as a last resort, I run into a bush, drop a box, use my ult, exhaust him, shiv him as he comes near. He's from full to no hp within 2 seconds.

If you see a poof of smoke, RUN. Just RUN. He won't catch up enough to do a huge amount of damage. And his stealth will run out, you'll be safe. Early game, this will stop him from harassing and wearing you down, and late game, you can even save yourself from a gank. Likewise, if you see Shaco poof away, don't be predictable. If it's a team, spread out. Some Shacos will be clever and decieve fake you- be running down lane A, and disappear, but in actuality he just flashed back and is running the opposite direction. By the time you figure it out, he's long gone.

SPOTTING A CLONE
Currently, there are many ways to spot Shaco. His clone is actually not that deceiving if you have these tricks.

If he has minion aggro, watch VERY carefully. The minions that attack the clone will actually hurt the clone on a visible scale. Additionally, turrets will always attack the fake shaco unless shaco attacked you or an ally.

Compare damage from minions. Slow down and assess the two shacos. One will take a surprising amount of damage from minions and if you say, burst him, you'll probably take down at least a quarter of his HP. Quickly change targets.

The clone is actually hard to manage. Some Shacos can handle making the clone attack another target, but most of the time it just follows the first shaco around. When shaco makes his escape, follow his not-invisible clone. He might trick you down the wrong path, but it's better to bet that where a clone is, a Shaco is nearby. I know even I have trouble stopping my clone from giving me away. The shaco in front is usually the real one.

Buffs do not transfer to the fake Shaco. That one should be pretty obvious.

Easiest of all? Click both Shacos and look at their items. The fake one has no items. This trick makes the confusion stemming from clones almost nothing since he's so blatantly easy to spot now.

If you see a Shaco getting careless, attack with caution. Throw a minor damage dealer before you lock in to attack. It's all to easy for a shaco to hide in the bush and throw his clone at you to soften you up as you get reckless and think you have the real shaco. Always know your damage limits and if it gets suspicious, better safe than sorry.

As two Shacos appear, press g and then press on Shaco's image on the minimap. If it is soon enough since he appears, the target that usually appears above someone's head when you ping them will only be on one Shaco. Ignore the other one and attack him. He might even be startled enough to run away.

AD SHACO
This is probably the most popular and most brutal form of Shaco. His Shiv is not a laughing matter, if he appears behind you, that backstab is going to really sting- like, 300 damage sting. And the Shiv will probably do the same. 500 combo- and then it comes off cooldown soon. Get some armor for the backstab and the shiv won't be substantial enough to combo you out. This shaco uses all his abilities, but the jack in the box is just for the fear. Don't be predictable or you'll get flashed to or feared by a well placed box. He is verstile and hard to kill without precautions and I can guarantee he's getting 5 kills at least if you don't watch it. Additionally, a good Shaco is going to get the red or blue buff come beginning of game. If you see smite on a shaco, run to the bushes instead of your lane with a partner. Since he is level 1, he can't decieve away. Wait for his jackin the boxes to attack the golem, and then attack him. Free kill. Late game, put wards around these areas to catch him off guard. If you do it enough, you might keep him away from the buffs for the rest of the game. Finally, the later the game goes the more likely you are to have Shaco backdoor. AP Shaco won't, but you could find a lot of your turrets down every 30 seconds. Make sure to have at least one person have a teleport or ghost spell to watch your turrets, or it could cost you the game.

As a subset, AS Shaco is also quite deadly. He relies very little on his abilities except for his ult, and with even a 150 autoattack, and especially with crits, he and his clone could wipe the floor with you like a Jax with no CC. This is lethal, and effective Shaco build, from my plays. I find if you can build strong enough to run and withstand the shots until a turret, you should be ok. So, he is a VERY effective bder, anti-caster, assassin, and Baron-er. However, like jax, he does suffer from CC impairment. His Shiv is basically just a ranged auto-attack at this point, so with his autos gone, you (and your trusty oracle) should be able to catch up easily.

AP SHACO
His Shiv late game is a nuke, period. I've done 1k damage with a ability on 8 second cooldown, when I'm fed. Don't feed this Shaco, ever. You can't let his AP get too high or he's just going to snowball. The good news is that his ult won't hurt you- almost at all- until the explosion, to make sure to "defuse" the clone and just watch carefully.
Also, don't EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER follow this shaco into a bush. You will die. No kidding. Go with friends. If you go into a bush alone, you will die. More sure than a karthus ult when you are 10 hp. His Jack in the box will fear you and worst of all, it's shots will actually kill you pretty fast plus his shiv. Early game, late game, it doesn't matter. You're dead. If you want, place vision wards to find them, or place mushrooms/cheap wards/etc to set them off while you're a safe way away.

The higher up you go, the more likely you are to encounter this build:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi21
Deceive, JiBs in your escape direction, auto crit, exhaust, ignite, Deathfiregrasp, Shiv.
This is ALL he can do. If he hasn't gotten you down past 40ish percent HP (estimate,) then attack back because his autoattacks, which are fairly weak, are all he has for 8 seconds. If you can't burst him down during that time or something, then you were dead to begin with. But he wants you to run- if that combo fails, you just got a kill. I suggest not going in the bushes alone, because 1 ward and he's got you.

Without his abilities, this Shaco is really actually useless. But if he has them, you need more than 1 person to take him down. He's a one trick pony, but that trick will ace your team. It's not overpowered, because he's easy to avoid, but just watch out. The best counter is some magic resist and to just be careful.

SUNFIRE SHACO
I see Sunfire Shaco from time to time, but he's just not extremely effective if you ask me. While he's got some impressive survivablity, grab some magic resist and hit him hard with magic damage and he really won't be doing a large amount of damage as to pose a threat. His damage doesn't allow him to backdoor. His strengths are with the autoattack and 1v1 crowd- that sunfire stack will pierce into your HP bar pretty fast. Casters, as well, can have problems, but with a oracle and some CC (which most casters have) you'll be just fine. This guy is still a danger, and Sunfire is viable, but there are much better builds for Shaco. Just...don't feed him. Then he is far more annoying than a Heimerdinger because he's got 3 sunfires by 25 minutes. Not as lethal as other Shacos, but annoying as ALL HELL because he will certainly need 2 or more champs to be killed.

TWISTED TREELINE
This is a bit of a divergence, but Twisted Treeline is a different kind of beast from regular Shaco on SR. The many but small walls make Shaco extremely hard to find and allow him to backdoor quite effectively. If you have a inhibitor or nexus turret down, you need to keep one champ in your base constantly. He'll deceive past the one and then work his way on the other. With so many bushes, Jack in the boxes are common and allow a lot of map control. Understand that if you get scared by a Box, whether shaco is nearby or not, you're in danger. Shaco also has many access points to poof from and then surprise you out of no-where. Top lane, especially, might as well have no walls because Shaco can deceive past every single one of them. A shaco, good or not, needs a oracle to be countered here. Don't question it, just do it. And get some sight wards too. If he's really pressing his advantage, he'll jungle often. You can shut this down by putting a ward in the center of the top and bottom jungle to catch him off-guard.

CONCLUSION
Hopefully this guide will reduce the complaints from anyone who plays against a Shaco. As long as you know what to do, you'll make Shaco's (and my) life a lot harder. People don't realize that Shaco is completely handle-able in a game with the right strategy. There are still going to be times when you get a fed Shaco, but your best plan of action is to play it safe and you'll catch up to him eventually. Starve him of kills and work to focus him down.
See you on the battlefield, forcing me into a 0/4/0 submission.

TL;DR Quicklist
1. Don't follow Shaco into bushes unless you really have a grip on the situation. If it's AP Shaco, don't follow him period.
2. Watch out for the Box fear. It'll let Shaco catch up.
3. Place Sight/Vision wards to keep Shaco out. This is essential and will really shut him down.
4. Shaco's clone takes signifigantly increased damage. Watch how the minions hurt both Shacos- more damage is the fake one. Ping shaco on the minimap- the target will only appear on the real Shaco if you do it fast enough after he appears. A Shaco with no items is the clone.
5. Don't push past the first turret unless you've got a location on shaco within 20 seconds or a epic escape mechanism.
6. Against AD Shaco, build Armor. Against AP, build resist. It sounds basic but this is one of the best counters.
7. If you see a poof of smoke, run away. Shaco will waste mana and his stealth getting close. Early game, don't let him harass.
8. When he's fed, don't go out alone. Like a gank-heavy team, he can't take on all of you.
9. Shaco is especially good on TT. Be careful and always get vision wards and an oracle.

A final word: DON'T BE STUPID AND ALWAYS CALL MIA. That's the easiest way to counter him. Work as a team and you'll shut him down just fine. Shaco is not OP or scary, but simply appeals to many weaknesses lower-ELO players have. Cover these weaknesses up and all of a sudden you may even find yourself laughing when you see a Shaco.

Reaver Forte

07-29-2010

I've never successfully built an AD Shaco but I can guarantee that AP Shaco is no laughing matter. The JitBes do substantial damage an the Shiv on it's own is a crazy nuke, especially with the range and the cooldown it packs. Perhaps you should make mention to stealing the Golem buff from any enemy Shaco as well.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2010

What about Sunfire Shaco? Is that an AD or AP build since it really just does magic damage?

Reaver Forte

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph2verse8and9 View Post
What about Sunfire Shaco? Is that an AD or AP build since it really just does magic damage?
Why would anyone in their right mind build a Sunfire Shaco?

Mat Cauthon

07-29-2010

Good guide. I'm actually a Shaco main and I really hope people don't read this! Haha, I'm only joking, but in here you've basically outlined all of my favorite tricks and how to counter them.

I'll add another one: always expect to be backdoored late game. A good shaco with his clone can take a tower to at least half health before the clone dies, and then make a clean getaway. With a build with backdooring and pushing specifically in mind, he might take the whole thing. And he can do this every time his clone is up, so about once a minute.

If you see Shaco in a ranked game, try to have at least 1 person with teleport to effectively counter this.

nV Chaos

07-29-2010

Another way that is makes it easier to find the real shaco is to check which has less mana. Usually after they ult they will throw a 2shiv or jitb and u can find out that way.

PK x Terror

07-30-2010

how about sunfire-GA shaco? and yes iv seen many and ive tried it my self he is undefeatble

macsauce

07-30-2010

This guide is good. But its moot for ranked games, seeing as how hes banned 99% of the time.

Eppa

07-30-2010

No madreds shaco, the best shaco that jungles when can't get kills.

Redenbacher

07-30-2010

See, I don't think Shaco is overpowered against any team with any coordination. The problem is solo queue, and convincing your team to buy wards.

I alone don't have much of a problem with Shaco in the early game. It's after he feeds off my team that refused to buy wards, overextend, and get ganked several times that he begins to become an issue.

He's not necessarily overpowered as a character, he's overpowered because of the character's effective playstyle against greedy players making stupid mistakes. He feeds off of greed and foolish aggressiveness. One player alone, or even two, can not counter that when the other 3 refuse to listen.

I should note that there are other characters that feed off the same type of enemy... but none of them have as many escape mechanisms as Shaco does, nor deal as much damage. (ie. Warwick, Pantheon, carry Xin, etc.)