Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shaco's League of Legends Wikia Page is Outdated

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Diamondragan

02-29-2012

Please come over and help keep it current!

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Shaco_the_Demon_Jester

"Why don't you just do it yourself?"

Because I don't even know all of the things that are incorrect. Also, there are the Ability Details and Strategy sections that can be tuned to inform readers about Shaco in ways that they wouldn't have thought of at first for themselves.

I mean come on...these pages were so **** old that there are still entries about Deceive only applying "bonus damage" and not being a "true crit".

The League of Legends Wikia is a collaborative effort by everyone, for everyone, after all.

EDIT: Don't be as passive about his Wikia page as Riot is about him. :/

EDIT 2: Also, I have been making changes. I just don't believe that everything I know is enough to cover all of the mistakes there are now.

Zyrxil

02-29-2012

So...why don't you do it? That's how a wiki works.

Felix Omni

Recruiter

02-29-2012

Quote:
Diamondragan:
The League of Legends Wikia is a collaborative effort by everyone, for everyone, after all.

Actually it's an effort by some people for Wikia's profit.

Wikia sucks.

Diamondragan

02-29-2012

Quote:
Felix Omni:
Actually it's an effort by some people for Wikia's profit.

Wikia sucks.

That doesn't mean it doesn't help.

Riot's own champion pages are the worst you can get for information about them.

I don't think there's a single AD ratio actually visible in Riot's pages. They're just blank parentheses.

It's not like I'm making anyone visit and help out, or that I'm advertising for Wikia. I'm just asking for a larger, more accurate pool of player info for one of the League's least attended champions.

Diamondragan

02-29-2012

Bump for justice?

Felix Omni

Recruiter

02-29-2012

Quote:
Diamondragan:
That doesn't mean it doesn't help.

Riot's own champion pages are the worst you can get for information about them.

I don't think there's a single AD ratio actually visible in Riot's pages. They're just blank parentheses.

It's not like I'm making anyone visit and help out, or that I'm advertising for Wikia. I'm just asking for a larger, more accurate pool of player info for one of the League's least attended champions.

I've actually been slowly developing my own League of Legends wiki in my spare time. It's hosted on a very low budget shared webserver right now so I'm not spreading the information around, but within a couple of months I intend to get it to a presentable state and move it to Curse.com.

Ryft Mith

02-29-2012

It's because it's not an actual Wiki. Wikis are sites sometimes independent from Wikipedia who have a dedicated team of paid people or volunteers who keep the entire site both up to date and looking nice. Wikias are sub-sites of wikipedia who are funded by advertisements and created by any Wikipedia user. They are almost always of far lower quality and are very difficult to navigate and use effectively.

For example, see these two sites, one a Wiki and one a wikia, both trying to have as much information about the same game as they can:

Wikia: http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Wiki: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

From the very first page, it is extremely obvious that the Wiki is better in every surface regard. The wikia has a slightly confusing, one-dimensional page whose main bulk is not taken up by page links and information, but is instead used by advertisements, banners, links to other wikias with no relation to this one, recent activity (which includes forum links (wtf?)), a fictional announcement, and a large portion of the website dedicated to fan fiction, much of which is intertwined with real information that could easily mislead players.

The main page of the Wiki, however, has many staples associated with the high standards of Wikipedia such as featured articles and recent relevant news at the top of the page, clearly sorted two-dimensional boxes encapsulating links that could direct you to the top however-many most-accessed pages, just a single advertisement, and no corporate sponsorship BS.

If you looked deeper than just the surface, however, you would find that the Wiki has a frequently-active division of AreaNet (developer of Guild Wars) employees that have been extremely helpful and instrumental in the development of that community; whereas the wikia's projects still include getting accurate numbers from the majority of the few armor vendors in the game.

If you looked at several other Wikis (those that actually have paid staff) and wikias, the results would be almost exactly the same. There are two reasons that LoL wikia is more popular than any LoL wiki. One is that Riot has not made any dedicated efforts to create a decent Wiki. The second is that online community projects almost always grow faster than online developer projects, and the LoL wikia grew much more quickly than any other Wiki, thus ensuring its current popularity.

LordRoland

02-29-2012

Quote:
Ryft Mith:

Woah.

Felix Omni

Recruiter

02-29-2012

Quote:
Ryft Mith:
It's because it's not an actual Wiki. Wikis are sites sometimes independent from Wikipedia who have a dedicated team of paid people or volunteers who keep the entire site both up to date and looking nice. Wikias are sub-sites of wikipedia who are funded by advertisements and created by any Wikipedia user. They are almost always of far lower quality and are very difficult to navigate and use effectively.

For example, see these two sites, one a Wiki and one a wikia, both trying to have as much information about the same game as they can:

Wikia: http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Wiki: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

From the very first page, it is extremely obvious that the Wiki is better in every surface regard. The wikia has a slightly confusing, one-dimensional page whose main bulk is not taken up by page links and information, but is instead used by advertisements, banners, links to other wikias with no relation to this one, recent activity (which includes forum links (wtf?)), a fictional announcement, and a large portion of the website dedicated to fan fiction, much of which is intertwined with real information that could easily mislead players.

The main page of the Wiki, however, has many staples associated with the high standards of Wikipedia such as featured articles and recent relevant news at the top of the page, clearly sorted two-dimensional boxes encapsulating links that could direct you to the top however-many most-accessed pages, just a single advertisement, and no corporate sponsorship BS.

If you looked deeper than just the surface, however, you would find that the Wiki has a frequently-active division of AreaNet (developer of Guild Wars) employees that have been extremely helpful and instrumental in the development of that community; whereas the wikia's projects still include getting accurate numbers from the majority of the few armor vendors in the game.

If you looked at several other Wikis (those that actually have paid staff) and wikias, the results would be almost exactly the same. There are two reasons that LoL wikia is more popular than any LoL wiki. One is that Riot has not made any dedicated efforts to create a decent Wiki. The second is that online community projects almost always grow faster than online developer projects, and the LoL wikia grew much more quickly than any other Wiki, thus ensuring its current popularity.

Funny that you should post this, because I'm actually the head bureaucrat of GuildWiki (the original unofficial Guild Wars wiki, now located at guildwiki.org) and this case is something of an anomaly. It's story time.

Many years ago, the guy who initially hosted GuildWiki sold the site to wikia for about $50,000. It was very controversial, everyone hated his guts, and he was never heard from again. We spent several years with wikia, growing less and less happy with their poor stewardship as people left for the official wiki or stopped playing Guild Wars. Wikia originally promised us that our non-commercial status would be preserved, advertising would be reasonable, and we could go about our business as usual. Then they forced several reskins on us, quadrupled the ad space, and demoted or banned anyone who protested.

So we decided enough was enough and I started looking for a new host for GuildWiki. I researched several wiki farms and private hosting options, but then a friend told me Curse.com was hoping to expand its Guild Wars presence after having acquired GWGuru. I contacted their head of content management, who was more than happy to provide us with a new and much-improved home. Wikia, however, decided that our content (licensed under the CC-BY-NC-SA 2.0) belonged to them, and they refused to allow us to remove our content from their servers or to inform visitors that we had moved. Fortunately Wikia could not legally prevent us from "forking" GuildWiki, so our resident scriptmaster ran a utility to back up the entire wiki. We set up GuildWiki at Curse and threatened to file for a trademark on the name, so Wikia replaced our name with "Guildwars@wikia" in every instance.

Once we had our content safe and sound, we turned to the task of destroying gw@w from the inside. We subtly vandalized our content, made the layout as ugly and unnavigable as possible, and declared that gw@w would henceforth focus on "fan fiction and derivative works." And that is the Guild Wars wikia today- an intentionally gutted pile of trash.

tl;dr: Guild Wars Wikia is not a real wiki, it's just a puppet. GuildWiki is actually located at http://www.guildwiki.org (http://www.guildwiki.org), where we still strive to maintain up-to-date information. Wikia is the anti-christ.

Ryft Mith

02-29-2012

Quote:
Felix Omni:
Funny that you should post this, because I'm actually the head bureaucrat of GuildWiki (the original unofficial Guild Wars wiki, now located at guildwiki.org) and this case is something of an anomaly. It's story time.

Many years ago, the guy who initially hosted GuildWiki sold the site to wikia for about $50,000. It was very controversial, everyone hated his guts, and he was never heard from again. We spent several years with wikia, growing less and less happy with their poor stewardship as people left for the official wiki or stopped playing Guild Wars. Wikia originally promised us that our non-commercial status would be preserved, advertising would be reasonable, and we could go about our business as usual. Then they forced several reskins on us, quadrupled the ad space, and demoted or banned anyone who protested.

So we decided enough was enough and I started looking for a new host for GuildWiki. I researched several wiki farms and private hosting options, but then a friend told me Curse.com was hoping to expand its Guild Wars presence after having acquired GWGuru. I contacted their head of content management, who was more than happy to provide us with a new and much-improved home. Wikia, however, decided that our content (licensed under the CC-BY-NC-2.0) belonged to them, and they refused to allow us to remove our content from their servers or to inform visitors that we had moved. Fortunately Wikia could not legally prevent us from "forking" GuildWiki, so our resident scriptmaster ran a utility to back up the entire wiki. We set up GuildWiki at Curse and threatened to file for a trademark on the name, so Wikia replaced our name with "Guildwars@wikia" in every instance.

Once we had our content safe and sound, we turned to the task of destroying gw@w from the inside. We subtly vandalized our content, made the layout as ugly and unnavigable as possible, and declared that gw@w would henceforth focus on "fan fiction and derivative works." And that is the Guild Wars wikia today- an intentionally gutted pile of trash.

tl;dr: Guild Wars Wikia is not a real wiki, it's just a puppet. GuildWiki is actually located at http://www.guildwiki.org (http://www.guildwiki.org), where we still strive to maintain up-to-date information. Wikia is the anti-christ.

Wow, that is some pretty fascinating stuff. Just to let you know, I use GWWiki a lot and have participated in a few projects there over the past few years. I've found several wikias to be singularly unhelpful and always avoid them if I can. The way I found the wikia I listed was just by searching Guild Wars "Wikia" in Google. I figured that the first listing that was actually a wikia would be the most popular, so I went with that.

Thanks for sharing all of that, it was very informative!