Capping mid (the initial fight for top, and who gets to cap mid)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Genericke

03-03-2012

At the beginning of every dominion game, 1 person goes bot, while four people head top. Usually one person will call to cap the mid point and then join the team at top later.

The person who caps mid should be the champion with the least amount of poking ability, or a stealth based character that's going to get crippled by the neutral point revealing stealth.

The reason why a stealth character should cap mid so that way they can join top later on in the fight and surprise someone, or creep up behind another low health character and assasinate them. These champions are Akali, Eve and Twitch. Wukong and Shaco can also cap mid and serve a similar role, however their stealth is much more short lived in comparison to these three characters, and they offer utility to their team for the initial top fight before the fourth players join the fight. Shaco's boxes offer AoE CC, damage and are dangerous if left ignored. Wukong has a gap closer and armor reduction, and is a very tanky character and therefore is capable of withstanding a great deal of poke before having to play more defensively.

The reason why the squishy ranged DPS or AP carry shouldn't cap mid, and should head top with everyone else is often because they have the most poke. Many top fights involve both teams creeping up to either side of their cap point, and trying to push the base into their team's favor as much as possible. The other team will have to interrupt this by attempting to cap at the exact same time. In doing so, both people have been left exposed/vulnerable to receiving poke damage. Eventually if one team receives too much damage from poke, they have to either back off and let the other team cap top, or risk a confrontation where they get picked off and bursted down much more easily by the healthier team.

The confrontation part often happens once the person capping mid heads to top and the teams get ready to pounce on the squishiest or lowest health target. It is crutial for each team to poke each other down as much as possible before this happens so that they might win the fight for the top capture point.

I bring all of this up, because far too often I'll see an Ezreal, Brand or LeBlanc demand the mid capture point for themselves, when really they'd do much better going to top to help poke the other team down.

The Wrongsword

03-03-2012

i used to think it was the squishies that should go mid or whoever was fastest, but over time its been clear that your analysis is the right one- its all about who has the poke

Stiff Tacos

03-03-2012

Lurking around stealthed isn't going to help your team. While you wait for the low health champ to start running, your team is fighting a 4v3.

There exists a spectrum of early to late game champs. For example, Garen shines early game but Sion shines late game. Because Garen can contribute more at the first windmill fight, Sion should cap and let Garen go. In essence, the most late game oriented champ should cap.

Dafe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2012

yeah probly the one who can contribute the less at the first fight or someone who need to be lvl 4 to be more effective

Genericke

03-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff Tacos View Post
Lurking around stealthed isn't going to help your team. While you wait for the low health champ to start running, your team is fighting a 4v3.

There exists a spectrum of early to late game champs. For example, Garen shines early game but Sion shines late game. Because Garen can contribute more at the first windmill fight, Sion should cap and let Garen go. In essence, the most late game oriented champ should cap.
If you play the stealth character correctly the other team knows it's a 4 v 4, but they don't know what your position is - if you're lurking behind them waiting to pick someone off, if you're in the brush by the health relic, about to take down the half health champion all on their own, or sticking just behind your teammates to punish anyone who tries to initiate on your team. You don't play the character to lurk around and wait for that perfect 10% health character trying to run away, you play it because the other team has no clue where you are, which puts a huge amount of pressure on them compared to a forth champion who joins top, and who's position everyone is aware of.

I think Sion would actually be better to go top while Garen caps mid, because his ranged stun offers a lot to the initial fight (a stationary target for all of your allied teammates skillshots to hit), as does a shield that makes him to poke down. Garen is a great initiation due to a silence, and a high damaging AoE move that you want to hit as many people as possible with, however he offers nothing to the initial fight other than soaking up poke, and jumping on anyone that stupidly tries to start a fight 3 v 3.

Prometheius

03-03-2012

Gen has it right. Mid cap is for the person that would be the most useless top in a 3v3 because they lack pokes, damage, CC, or useful abilities. Anyone crippled by going top first should be capping mid.

Geryth

03-04-2012

I had a game as Panth where we had Jarvin, Ez, and Morgana to round out the top lane. Not one, but ALL of them begged me not to take mid as I called it because "I didn't start with boots."

So Morgana, who did buy boots, took mid after I succumbed to their wishes, who had only 10 more MS than me because of the boots. I start with 351 MS on panth, bootless. Oh. and I had ghost, she didn't.

Balaram

03-04-2012

Actually...in games I've played, being bootless has always been a reason to get mid, not the opposite.
Btw, re. Wukong, he's a much better mid than top because without being able to use his stealth, he can't poke, and his gap closer/armor reduction only serves the team well in an actual fight, which as you said, usually only breaks out when the mids get there. Speaking from experience, he pretty much gets decimated if he uses his gap closer during the poking stage in an attempt to be useful.