Tank teams seem unbeatable

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Magus Godspawn

02-27-2012

I just got out of a game like this, but have played quite a few, it just seems like if you have a team with all tanks and an AP carry you're set. Example:

Their team comp:
-Shen (top)
-Rammus (top)
-Volibear (bot)
-Mundo (bot)
-Janna (mid)
Stupid team comp right? None of them jungled, and janna took mid

Our team comp:
-Riven (me)
-Ashe (bot)
-Kassadin (mid)
-Shaco (jungle)
-Talon (bot)
Our team compe was okay, but we lacked a full, tank, so I build pretty tanky.

The game opened okay, I was against Shen and Rammus solo top which was a *****, but shaco made a couple of decent ganks and I was able to farm decently while staying ahead of them in levels. Unfortunately our kassadin somehow managed to loose to janna with the help from volibear and our bot was mediocre. For most of the game they were ahead of us by a couple kills but, nearing late game we started loosing hard, even though we built anti-tank items (Madred's, last whisper, etc.) I guess my point is riot doesn't have an item you can build to really help **** over tanks, that and tanks have the potential to deal insane amounts of damage, while being unkillable. Even though we had better team comp we lost fights and eventually the game just because we couldn't handle them. Is there any way to deal with this? Or are tanks just overpowered?

Hyosun

02-27-2012

You are failing to see that you can win despite limitations. Sure they will grind through your mediocre damage and roll through your team like an avalanche but that's just how it is. Their team has strengths and they will win in teamfights.

But what is preventing your shaco or talon from taking down a turret by themselves? Shaco contributes an ignorable slow and a joke of a cc ability in teamfights so why isn't he pushing a lane? Likewise your talon isn't going to work well because no one on that team can get instagibbed. Not that team. So why isn't he pushing a lane with his W and incredible AA + Q reset tools? Shaco and Talon can both escape their team ( hard with Voli though, I admit ) if they put up wards to track them.

When you fight a tank team with a team that can't kill them you are playing to their strengths. Why on EARTH would you do that?

Listen if I had to fight a pro boxer I wouldn't dream of trying to outbox him. Not unless I want to be KTFO. I would take the fight to the ground where I have the advantage over him.

I see the same discussion regarding fighting AOE comps. If they can wipe you out in chain aoe then BY MERCIFUL JESUS'S GLUTEN-FREE PANCAKES DON'T BUNCH UP AND GET ACED!

In your situation I would have had shaco push and make his build items that would allow him to excel in that role. I'd have him ignore items for defense / surviving because in a teamfight he's going down like tissue paper anyway. So why invest in something with no return you see? As the enemy team responds to Shaco by trying to gank him they're wasting time traveling to him. Time you can use to push on your own. With multiple jitb, wards, and smart use of deceive I don't see how Shaco is going to get caught.

If they do decide to go 5 v 4 against your team then you have a tough fight coming up. Your roles should be as follows:
-Riven (me) try to use your mobility to kite them around and make them waste time. Stun for defensive purposes, not offensive.
-Ashe (bot) aoe slow. Delay their gap closers as much as possible and continue delaying whatever they're doing. Position yourself so you can clear waves as much as possible.
-Kassadin (mid) Kite and silence any targets thats will instagib someone ( i.e silence volibear before he can toss someone back )
-Shaco (jungle) he's the pusher.
-Talon (bot) same role as Ashe.

Although it isn't popular these days back about a year ago split pushing and "backdoor" was a VERY VERY VERYYY common occurence.

TF:
Freakn global meant he'd go ap and abuse the unlimited cd aspect of blue cards to proc sheen/lichbane affect multiple times.

Pantheon: Global

Yi: even a 0/8 yis have items. The smart ones will take down 3 towers as if they were made out of butter while the other team QQ's. I think I've seen a dozen yi's by now that were soley responsible for winning the game.

Shaco: see above. Him and clone + atk speed items. Can't catch a good shaco. Not ever.

Teemo: his move-quick ability was nerfed because he could split push without harm. His shrooms acted like shaco's jitb.

tl:dr split-push. When you engage in a 5v5 against a tank team when you're comprised of squishies and assassins you are severly outmatched. Kite and delay engagement and 5 v 4 pushes long enough for other champions to push towers.

Magus Godspawn

02-27-2012

We did try to split push a couple of times, but sort of gave it up in the end. We stopped because every time one of us ran off to back door, they immediately seized the opportunity to push our towers, with the numbers advantage they tanked towers even without minions and got away with it. Our towers didn't deal enough, and the 5 of them could kill towers faster than shaco could.

Atzigan

02-27-2012

I only choose talon as last pick he has too many counters. If he got Last Whisper he wouldn't have any trouble. But I've seen players with talon that don't get that and just follow a guide. so If you don't get the 40% armor pen against the tanks it'll be kinda hard. Shaco and Ashe would probably tickle them as well. Riven is really good, but Kassadin, man...Kassadin in a team does crazy damage even to tanks. You guys probably just took a long time and let them farm as much as even getting GA's and a lot of Health. By looking at your team comp, All they had to do is get Armor defense and shut down kassadin first in every team fight. Double taunt, fling, whirlwind, crazy health Mundo. They got you guys pretty good.

Hyosun

02-27-2012

In that case Magus I don't know if there is anything different you could do. Perhaps you could search for other threads similar to this and see if there are any good ideas on how to counter an all-tank team. I mean an all-tank team was a VERY popular thing not so long ago so here are some threads with more responses in them.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1620278

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=188656

http://forum.leaguecraft.com/index.p...ull-tank-team/

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/ques...ms-in-dominion

knon6

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2012

?

PhoDaKids

02-27-2012

Yeah, I've won and lost my fair share of games with or against 5 tank team comps. What I've come to notice is that for the first 30 minutes or so, your team will usually absolutely dominate them. It's just the way the tanks are; weak early game, unkillable late game. So, for the entirety of the laning phase, try to punish them as much as possible. Get easy kills, push towers hard, and for the love of God, never group up NEVER. I can't stress this enough against a team comp like this. It seems to happen more often in solo/duo queue, where the the team will become demoralized and just give up. Well, that's what you have to do. The best advice I can give you guys is just try to win in under 35 minutes.

Grunghole

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2012

There's absolutely no reason a tank team can beat you.

If I had to guess, you guys kept trying to get kills on them, or kept wanting to group up and get in teamfights with them. THAT WILL NOT WORK.

Split push and take down towers while they're not looking. Either they'll continue to 5man blob around the map, in which case you'll win on towers, or they'll split up, in which case they're pretty weak 1v1 and you'll still win on towers.

The game is a tower defense, not an arena. Act like it.

Nishaven90

03-02-2012

I know why you lost.

You don't have an AD CARRY.

cerealsmok3r

03-03-2012

well to beat them i think your entire team needs madreds ;D