What exactly IS elo hell?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aikimiller

02-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouVertica View Post
Ok so i'm going to stay out of ranked then.

From the looks of things its one of those "carry your team every game for months" type of ranking.
------------------

Personally in a 1v1 situation or maybe even 2v2 or 3v3(like starcraft) i wouldn't have THAT much of a problem with it. But from the looks of things its more or less a ranking system thats based on others actions and not yours alone.
-And from the looks of things its not only a huge grind, but without any real benifits.

I'm all for competitive play, but it seems to me that riot just does not care about this system at all so i'll avoid it.
You're not wrong here. The largest problem I find is that in the low elo range, you can't count on your teammates. In a 5v5 situation, you are responsible for exactly 10% of the game, or even less, if you're the kind of person who acknowledges that a team needs the roles filled, and steps up to play the support or the tank. Playing these roles means that there is literally almost nothing you can do if your carries simply fail.

So, Elo Hell is the range at which game outcomes have a very high degree of randomness, because your team mates are unreliable. It's not impossible to carry ourself out of it. But it is difficult, and time consuming.

AutoSys

02-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinatoor View Post
i am in this so called elo hell but I have almost pulled my self out of it before....

It is when you win 12 games in a row playing Singed or Taric and only rise 100 Elo....Look at the ranked stats board, to be top elo you need to win ALL your early games or grind a hell of a lot.
That is by definition elo hell. You either get a couple friends to help you out in your first 20 games and get 60-75% win ratio or solo queue and never see the light of day.

Once you get dragged down to a very low elo. You will have to win 200+ games with a 70% win ratio to climb out of it.

A 1700+ rated player dropped his elo to 900 on purpose.He kept track and made a thread...looks like he stopped keeping track when he was burned out around 100 wins and was only at 1000-1100 elo.Funny thing is that when you win you get elo...but when you lose, you lose MORE elo than a win. So the system is broken but math heads will come in and defend it. Yep everyone has time to play 600+ games of ranked with an 60% win ratio to find their true elo....

MetalGuitarist

02-28-2012

I've lost 15~ games in a row in classic, and now im seeing elo hell for the first time, and it's very real. Every single game there are at least two autolockers. No one at all understands how to balance a team, I have yet to see someone play support on my team, and when I try to support the AD carry will switch to something else. NO ONE buys wards, sometimes someone else will chip in but it's unlikely.

And for some reason the matchmaking will put me on a team where everyone is in the 100-300 win range and the other team will be in the 500-1000 range. It's like it just wants me to keep losing, over and over. Oh, and there are a lot of afk'ers and laggers. Every game has one person who constantly complains about their lag.

And on the topic of last hits, it seems pretty common for 3 of your teammates to be below 100 CS at the 30 min mark. Hell, even the 40 min mark.

This is at level 30... and for some reason a lot of these players have skins.

angryWelchMan

02-28-2012

The main problem I have with ranked is that I main support and I can buy 5 wards every time i go back take around zero minions die twice so the ad carry lives, force feed the carry four kill but top and mid both lost there turrets it five on two bot with only 5 sec warning (from my ward) cause mid didn't ward and noone called mia. right now in ranked I'm 8/7 with an elo around 1100 and i am to stop solo quene
the second biggest problem is when a dou calls bot and neither gets a support

Shake5hula

02-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouVertica View Post
Ok so i'm going to stay out of ranked then.

From the looks of things its one of those "carry your team every game for months" type of ranking.
------------------

Personally in a 1v1 situation or maybe even 2v2 or 3v3(like starcraft) i wouldn't have THAT much of a problem with it. But from the looks of things its more or less a ranking system thats based on others actions and not yours alone.
-And from the looks of things its not only a huge grind, but without any real benifits.

I'm all for competitive play, but it seems to me that riot just does not care about this system at all so i'll avoid it.
Not what everyone said is correct. Mainly if you want to win the games, YOU have to carry the game. And do what your teammates are lacking. Need to organize team for objectives, also, play your carry well in the fights. And know when something is worth dying/losing a tower. Losing a team fight is never good. but you must try to not lose it by a large margin. Doing so puts your team that much more behind the enemy team.

I always look at it, if YOU deserve to win or not. It's all that really matters.

6foot7foot8foot

02-28-2012

It is when the skill level of players your matched up with isn't very good so naturally you lose, as you keep losing you keep being matched with the same level of players and continue to dig yourself a hole you can't get out of.

It is possible however to get out of it, I was 3-11 and now I'm 16-18. My best character is fiddlesticks so I would jungle him while my friend (we played some Duo) played Wukong top (his best character) and we ended up getting a few wins in a row. Time consuming but it is a great feeling.

The worst thing about elo hell is players who can only play one champion/one role. Really cripples the team

AirLocked

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atz1gan View Post
Want to get out of elo hell? Play with a positive attitude and lead your team and guide them through the game. I was 1380 then went down to 900 for raging and being angry all the time. This shiz gets as crazy as angry german kid sometimes for some players. But after you learn how to control yourself and control the match all you need to do to get out of it is be a team leader with a carry, never do support if you want to be up the ladder. What I basically do if they are being jerks and they are not good players that even worse want me to be support because no one wants to be support in the elo bracket. The best you can do is pick your best champion that counters the comp team and earn their trust and morale by getting kills early game and help the other lanes if you're in mid or top. Don't expect to win every game but being a good teamate and leader will get you up the ladder. Down from 900 i'm up to 1180 and haven't lost any match since I learned how to really play as a team. I won't say I won't lose soon there's players like me or your or better down there as well and sometimes the ranked match making gives you harder opponents or a really good carry on the opposite team. You just have to be smarter and anticipate their moves. A ranked team I'm at is around 1300 and there's serious players there most of the time. And jungling is nothing like jungling in Elo Hell, the fights are crazier so don't feel bad if you're in Elo Hell, get better learn from your games record your games if you can and watch them or watch high elo players and learn from them. The game is competitive and hard and that's what makes it fun. Remember to always only play ranked matches if you feel well in every way emotionally and well rested or else your odds to win are not too good because you're not aware of everything that's going on in the game.
paragraphs please or tl:dr

BurntWalrus

02-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake5hula View Post
Not what everyone said is correct. Mainly if you want to win the games, YOU have to carry the game. And do what your teammates are lacking. Need to organize team for objectives, also, play your carry well in the fights. And know when something is worth dying/losing a tower. Losing a team fight is never good. but you must try to not lose it by a large margin. Doing so puts your team that much more behind the enemy team.

I always look at it, if YOU deserve to win or not. It's all that really matters.
I've played enough team games to know that you can only do so much and to stay away from systems that punish you for bad teamates.

Look i CAN get out of elo hell, sure. But do i want to even waste my time? There are no rewards and it seems to me just a waste of time and effort only to be punished again and again for things i could not possibly control.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many a critic has said:

A difficult game is something that punishes the player for something he did. An bad game is something that punishes the player that he could not have possibly known, avoid, or stop.

In the world of MMO's, its rather unseemely for a game to have this ranking that is not personal but rather team oriented.

Like i said before, 1v1-3v3 i'd be ok with. But 5v5? You cannot expect someone to carry a 5v5 team. Especially not in a moba/rpg. An FPS sure, a skill based game sure. But there are limits on what 1 player can do.
------------------------------------------

Reasons to avoid:

Takes forever after first 10 games to gain elo.
Lose more than you win.
Bad players in lower levels.
Trolls with nothing to lose.
No rewards.

Reasons to play:
Ranking #.

Yeah i'm above playing a game just to get some silly highscore.

Shake5hula

02-28-2012

Basically, if you're truly better than the people in your ELO, you should be able to carry the game. The amount of people doesn't matter, becuase you aren't going to play with people like it's their first game, you've got to lead the team to victory.

Skilltestingman

02-28-2012

sorry it's just hard when even just 1 player can make you lose the game that you're doing amazing in.

I've won my share of 4v5, but 3v5 is really not possible at all