What your thoughts? (Post feedback)

Awesome! Make it happen, Riot! 33 61.11%
Not bad, keep working on it 11 20.37%
Not really for me 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Gepetto, the Puppetmaster

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Draginath

02-26-2012

Hey everyone, here's next Champion in my line-up of concepts. He was supposed to be out sooner, but I kinda got some new ideas and revamped him a bit. My original idea was a kind of Yorick meets Orianna ordeal but I quite happy with how he turned out. Hope you guys enjoy.

Last Time: Axel, the Limitbreaker- http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1553171

Morgan "Gepetto" Giuseppe, the Puppet Master ***UPDATED 7/9/12***

Overview:

Gepetto is mage support hybrid adept at manipulating the battlefield. His play style focuses on his puppet, Carmen, whom he uses to perform his abilities. Gepetto is a champion that will reward players who enjoy playing the field and twisting it to suits their needs.

Look:

Gepetto is a young man with medium-length, slightly disheveled silver hair. He wears a somewhat tattered and worn black suit with his shirt unbuttoned a bit, white gloves and a single, tarnished pauldron on his right shoulder. Despite this somewhat destitute look, Gepetto manages to have a very high class feel to him. His left arm is a puppet’s arm, remnant of the accident that initially lost him Carmen. He sacrificed his left eye in order to transplant Carmen’s soul into the doll he uses for combat, replacing it with a red, glassy eye. In addition to his obvious strings, Gepetto wields a long silver whip.

Carmen is a porcelain doll with long, blonde hair with icy blue eyes. She wears an exquisite red dress. She has a series of stilettos hidden on her person. While she does look very life-like, there are some signs that she is, in fact, a doll, namely her joints.

For reference, this picture captures the general essence of their look.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs30/f/20..._by_piotsh.jpg

Stats:

Difficulty: Hard
Health: 1760
Mana: 0
Movement: 310
Armor: 65
Magic Resist: 42

Resource: Health

Abilities:

Quote:
Atonement (Passive): When Gepetto takes damage that would otherwise kill him, Carmen is destroyed instead and Gepetto instantly regains 30% of his maximum health. Gepetto enrages, increasing his 30/60/90 Attack damage, Armor, Magic Resist and Movement Speed for 6 seconds. During this time, Gepetto is unable to use his abilities until Carmen reforms at the end of its duration. [3 minute cooldown]

Love Eternal (Carmen's Passive): Controlling the doll Carmen. Carmen is a physical unit that causes unit collision and provides sight for Gepetto’s allies.
Quote:
Atonement (Draft Two): When Gepetto takes damage that would otherwise kill him, Carmen is destroyed instead and Gepetto instantly regains 30% of his maximum health. Gepetto enrages, increasing his 60/90/120 Attack damage, Armor, Magic Resist and Movement Speed for 6 seconds. During this time, Gepetto will pulse, dealing 10/25/40 true damage to surrounding enemy units every second. While enraged, Gepetto is unable to use his abilities until Carmen reforms at the end of its duration. [3.5 minute cooldown, Pulse radius: 850]
Quote:
Love Eternal (Draft Two): Controlling the doll Carmen. Carmen is a physical unit that causes unit collision and provides sight for Gepetto’s allies. Carmen will attack nearby enemies, prioritizing Champions, dealing 10/15/20/25/30 (+25% ability power) magic damage each second.
His passive is remnant of a mechanic in his initial drafts where various abilities destroyed Carmen and a player can tactically use that to activate this pretty substantial enrage effect. I may revisit that concept based on feedback from you guys, but I kinda like it here as just a "cornered bear" passive. I'm considering making the health degenerate over the duration and increasing the stat bonuses.

The bonus passive is just to generalize Carmen's function on the rest of his abilities without me having to rewrite on each of them. Basically, if she's in the area, even briefly, Gepetto's team can see it. I was playing around with a concept of Gepetto's health costs increasing the farther Carmen is from him in an effort to balance out his range potential. Tell what you guys think on that.

UPDATE:
Buffed the enrage to make it more threatening considering he's a squishy mage.

UPDATE: Made Carmen have an attack of her own to open up for some interesting placement options as well as serve as a basis for the idea of Gepetto's strength varying based on how close he is to Carmen.

Quote:
Waltz (Q): Commands Carmen to Target location, dealing 90/125/160/195/230 (+50% of Ability Power) magic damage to nearby enemies and healing Gepetto for 15/25/35/45/55 (+20% of ability Power). Gepetto can reactivate this ability within 3 seconds to command Carmen to a new location, dealing the same amount of magic damage and healing for the same amount. Carmen will stay at each location for 3 seconds before returning to Gepetto. [9/8/7/6/5 seconds cooldown, 1000 range]
Quote:
Waltz (Draft Two): Commands Carmen to Target location, dealing 90/125/160/195/230 (+50% of Ability Power) magic damage to nearby enemies and healing Gepetto for 15/25/35/45/55 (+20% of ability Power). Gepetto can reactivate this ability within 3 seconds to command Carmen to a new location, dealing the same amount of magic damage and healing for the same amount. Carmen will stay at each location for 3 seconds before returning to Gepetto. [5 second cooldown, 925 range]
Gepetto's bread and butter ability. It serves as his only reliable nuke, his only means of health regen outside of spell vamp and his ultimate as well as his main tool for repositioning Carmen. The numbers are a little arbitrary, but I think you get the general idea. It should be noted that the second cast is based on Carmen's location, not Gepetto's, giving this ability some significant range potential.

UPDATE: Gepetto relies on being able to reposition Carmen at a moment's notice so I normalized the cooldown so there is more fluidity and allow for building paths that don't involve maxing Q first. At the same time, I wanted to lower his range potential a hair.

Quote:
My Body as a Shield/ Malevolence (W): Commands Carmen to rush to the aid of an ally, intercepting the next enemy ability used against that target within 3 seconds. After using this ability, Gepetto can use Malevolence within 4 seconds. [22/19/16/13/10 second cooldown, 1100 range, Cost: X% health]

- Malevolence: Commands Carmen to attack enemies in a straight line from her shielded target, dealing 60/105/150/195/240 (+90 Ability Power) magic damage and knocking up enemies she passes through.
The first ability i came up with when I first started brainstorming this guy. I really liked the concept of a spell shield that could be placed on allies and being able to follow that up with some nice CC and damage is cool as well. Unlike Waltz, this ability is based on Gepetto's position, but can still serve as a way to reposition Carmen.

Quote:
Embrace/ Spirit Away (E): Commands Carmen to embrace the target. If used on an ally, Carmen shields them for 4 seconds, absorbing 80/120/160/200/240 (+90% Ability Power). If used on an enemy, Carmen roots them for 1/1.5/2/2.5/3 seconds. Gepetto can use Spirit Away within 4 seconds. If he does not use Spirit Away, target will receive 90/130/170/210/250 (+75% ability power) damage or healing. [15 second cooldown, 1200 Range, Cost: % health]

- Spirit Away: Gepetto pulls the target to his position. If used on an ally, Gepetto increases his and target ally’s movement speed by 35% for 3 seconds.
Quote:
Embrace (Draft Two): If Spirited Away is not used, target will now receive 75/95/115/135/155 (+60% ability power) true damage or healing. True healing is unaffected by enemy status effects that reduce incoming healing.
A really neat ability, due to its versatility. It may have a little too much. Because Gepetto focuses on the supportive aspect of his hybrid status, I wanted to give him another way to sustain his allies as well as give him an additional way to do a little damage. The burst damage/healing portion of Embrace is a new idea I had and I'm still iffy about it. The idea is to give Gepetto some decision-making and not make the pull be the obvious choice every time. This ability also relies on Gepetto's position, unlike Waltz. A piece of me considers making this ability scale with bonus health to give Gepetto some incentives to build health (if percent-based costs weren't enough).

UPDATE: I changed Embrace a bit mainly to make the choice of whether or not to pull an enemy/ally a more significant choice without overpowering the numbers. True healing also seems like a cool, unique mechanic.

Quote:
Rise of the Puppetmaster (Ultimate): Gepetto unleashes his true power, sending out thousands of enchanted strings over the course of 8 seconds. These strings latch onto enemy units, stealing 0.5/1/1.5% of their maximum health every second as long as they remain in range. During this time, Gepetto can cast Puppetmaster’s Will once.
[120/110/100 second cooldown, 1000 range, Cost: 30% current health]

Puppetmaster’s Will: Gepetto binds the soul of his target, taking control of an enemy champion for 4 seconds. Gepetto can command controlled target using Alt + Right click.
Quote:
Rise of the Puppetmaster (Draft Two): Gepetto unleashes his true power, sending out thousands of enchanted strings over the course of 8 seconds. These strings latch onto enemy units, stealing 0.5/1/1.5% (+2% per 100 ability power) of their maximum health in true damage every second as long as they remain in range. During this time, Gepetto can cast Puppetmaster’s Will once.
[120/110/100 second cooldown, 1000 range, Cost: 30% current health]

Puppetmaster’s Will (Draft Two): Gepetto binds the soul of his target, taking control of an enemy champion for 4 seconds. Can only be used on a target at or below 40% of their maximum health. Gepetto can command the controlled target using R+ Right Click.
UPDATE: I rearranged a couple of thing to even the ability out some. I added some scaling to the damage component to make it a little more threatening to enemies and a little more rewarding for a fed player. I still wanted to keep the mind control element so I added a constraint so that only certain targets are viable for control.

Quips:

Upon Selection: “Is there someone precious to you?”
Taunt: “It’s time you realize. You’ve been fighting for me all along”
Joke(s): (Carmen) “Am I really your favorite?” “I saw the way you were looking at that other girl!” “Eyes forward, mister!” (Gepetto) “My strings give new meaning to the phrase 'pick-up line' *laughs*"
Movement: “Come, my Love!” “Join my collection!” “Dance with me!” “Together forever”
Activation of Atonement: “CARMENNNNNN!”
Activation of Ultimate: “Stay with me!”
Dance: A waltz with Carmen

Quote:
Mechanics Overview:

Gepetto is designed to give that feeling of manipulating the field. He’s pretty fragile, but combining huge range potential with control allows him to maintain his potency. His resource of percent-based health is designed to give him some choices in how he uses his double-abilities. Spending a percentage of his health every time he activates his abilities can add up quickly if not utilized to the utmost potential.
Quote:
Playing Against him:

Take advantage of his fragility: Gepetto is squishy and lacks reliable escapes. At the same time, he can be deceptively durable if you are not prepared. Armed with a set of crowd control and utility, you can easily walk yourself right into his waiting hands.

Dodge those abilities: The most threatening of Gepetto’s arsenal are skill shot abilities. Learning to dodge them can severely hamper his abilities to sustain himself as his health costs add up, especially if you can dodge his Q, which serves as his only reliable way to regain health outside of spell vamp.

Be careful while his ultimate is up: His ultimate literally latches onto any and every enemy target in range, champions, minions and everything in between. Trying to overpower his healing potential without proper countermeasures can be completely futile in certain situations.
Quote:
Lore:

An unrivaled ventriloquist and puppeteer, Morgan Giuseppe, called Gepetto by his fans, was a renowned stage performer, known for his disturbingly life-like dolls and figurines. Stunningly handsome, Gepetto had a reputation of being able to charm any and everyone who made eye contact with him. Despite his popularity, Gepetto’s unusual obsession with his dolls caused a set of rumors to spread. It was said that those who fell under his spell vanished without a trace.

During a show in Noxus, Gepetto’s eyes fell on a girl by the name of Carmen. Her beauty stunned the young performer; his entrancing eyes powerless under her icy gaze. Gepetto knew in that moment that he had to have Carmen and no amount of dolls or frivolous company would satisfy him. Turns out, Carmen was just a smitten by him as he was with her. Unfortunately, Carmen was the daughter of Lawrence Chevalier, a very prominent weapons dealer, who did not take kindly to Gepetto; going so far as to threaten his life.

Despite this, the two decided to elope together. During the trip, the young couple was ambushed by men sent by Carmen’s father; intent on killing Gepetto and bringing Carmen back home. During the struggle, Carmen was killed after throwing herself in front of a blow meant for the performer. Gepetto looked on in horror as he saw the blade enter her abdomen. In complete shock, the assassins turned to finish him off. It was a bloody encounter, but through some sheer luck, Gepetto managed to escape, losing his left arm in the process.

Gepetto returned to the Chevalier family estate as they prepared for Carmen’s funeral, completely unaware of the hand Lord Chevalier played in her death. With a rebuilt left arm, the puppeteer had one goal; retrieve Carmen’s body. In a grand gesture, Gepetto faced down Lord Chevalier and his entire security force. Despite orders to attack, the guards could not bring themselves to attack the stage performer or even move.

It was in that moment that Lord Chevalier noticed something different about Gepetto, something twisted, and thousands of ethereal strings binding the hearts of his men. Chevalier watched in fear as his men turned on each other in a gruesome conflict. The lord’s gaze returned to Gepetto, realizing that he was the only thing standing between the deranged Puppetmaster and Carmen. He trembled in fear as Gepetto approached and past him.

Upon approaching his love’s lifeless body, the true nature of Gepetto’s magic was revealed. Sacrificing his left eye, Gepetto bound Carmen’s soul to a life-size porcelain doll. The girl awoke in her new body, overjoyed to be with Gepetto again. The two of them escaped as her father looked on in shame and anger; vowing to make Gepetto pay for his humiliation.

Gepetto and Carmen set their sights on the Institute of War. There, they hope to accrue the influence necessary to bring Lord Chevalier’s other crimes to light and find a way to restore Carmen’s body. They look forward to the conflict ahead, knowing that no matter what, they will always be together.

- “The Puppetmaster is a man pushed to his limits. Now, we are nothing more than dolls to be added to his collection” -Twisted Fate, the Cardmaster-
Alright, that's the basic gist of it. Tell me what you guys think. I have another champ waiting in the wings to be posted so he should (hopefully) be up soon. Until then!

Up Next: Fawkes, the Mask of Tranquility

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1987571

Check out my other concepts:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post32018055

Draginath

03-14-2012

will probably be revamping this guy some not sure if I like the health system as it is.

kaotics2075

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2012

He is very interesting and honestly, I dont see him as a support. I see him as more of just a mage with a very interesting passive. It reminds me of Anivia's egg. I would remake him as just a mage with a puppet and ditch some of the support

Draginath

03-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotics2075 View Post
He is very interesting and honestly, I dont see him as a support. I see him as more of just a mage with a very interesting passive. It reminds me of Anivia's egg. I would remake him as just a mage with a puppet and ditch some of the support
Was kinda going for a support that doubles as a mage. Kinda like a reverse orianna, who's a mage that doubles as a support.

Sollaris

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2012

firstly i think hes too like orianna to fill a nitch and having both on the field would just be like haveing 2 oriannas.

Also it looks like your trying to do to much with the abilitys all having secondary uses. your a mage and will be throwing enough spells as is that your spells dont need to all have sondary functions like lee sin. i would drop all of them and just focus on the main ability of the spell and maybe rework your cool downs so that your able to cast the spells more to fill the gap.

secondly embrace is way too over powered its a normal spamable ability that can do upwards of 500 damage without scaling and if, like most mages, you build AP and have around 500-600 at end game this ability is hitting around 1180 before MR. Thats not just way too high thats high for a Ult even. single target that is by far the best single target nuke in the game. not to mention its on a 15 sec CD! NOT TO MENTION that THEN you can tele the target to you ... thats waaaaaay to much for a simple move more then what his ult should do.

Suggestion: down the damage on each application or totally remove the secondary damage and add some kind of effect like slow. i would also remove the teleport all together because that is more a role for tanks not a support/mage who is squishy and might die. (Ex. say your about to die and you use this ability on a champ chasing you and you think that the secondary hit will kill them when in accuallity they have a shield or something and they happen to surive, you just game them the kill by teleporting them to you. this is why i suggest a slow.)

As for his Ult i have a few questions. Is it like Fiddles Ult where you can move and chase? or like Nunu's Ult where your rooted? if its like Fiddles i would probblibly be ok maybe tone down the duration but otherwise i think its in a good place. again i would discard the secondary effect and just polish the main focus of the spell, also the ability to fully take control of another champ is not ever a good idea thats why we have champs that clone enemys as apposed to takeing control. the most we have as far as taking control is skarner's ult drag. another reason for this is that the ult is an AOE and how would u define your target, taking control of the entire enemy team is again way to OP. over all tho this ability seem too over used as ults. there are alot of champs and concept champs that have simular abilitys. i would try coming up with something a little more interesting.

overall i dont really think that the champ has anything new to bring to the league and wouldnt have a good enough nitch to wanant being made. tho i like the ceativity.

keep trying and maybe look for soemthing that the league is missing and how you can bring that more to play as apposed to rehashing other abilitys and mixing and matching.

Draginath

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaris View Post
firstly i think hes too like orianna to fill a nitch and having both on the field would just be like haveing 2 oriannas.

Also it looks like your trying to do to much with the abilitys all having secondary uses. your a mage and will be throwing enough spells as is that your spells dont need to all have sondary functions like lee sin. i would drop all of them and just focus on the main ability of the spell and maybe rework your cool downs so that your able to cast the spells more to fill the gap.

secondly embrace is way too over powered its a normal spamable ability that can do upwards of 500 damage without scaling and if, like most mages, you build AP and have around 500-600 at end game this ability is hitting around 1180 before MR. Thats not just way too high thats high for a Ult even. single target that is by far the best single target nuke in the game. not to mention its on a 15 sec CD! NOT TO MENTION that THEN you can tele the target to you ... thats waaaaaay to much for a simple move more then what his ult should do.

Suggestion: down the damage on each application or totally remove the secondary damage and add some kind of effect like slow. i would also remove the teleport all together because that is more a role for tanks not a support/mage who is squishy and might die. (Ex. say your about to die and you use this ability on a champ chasing you and you think that the secondary hit will kill them when in accuallity they have a shield or something and they happen to surive, you just game them the kill by teleporting them to you. this is why i suggest a slow.)

As for his Ult i have a few questions. Is it like Fiddles Ult where you can move and chase? or like Nunu's Ult where your rooted? if its like Fiddles i would probblibly be ok maybe tone down the duration but otherwise i think its in a good place. again i would discard the secondary effect and just polish the main focus of the spell, also the ability to fully take control of another champ is not ever a good idea thats why we have champs that clone enemys as apposed to takeing control. the most we have as far as taking control is skarner's ult drag. another reason for this is that the ult is an AOE and how would u define your target, taking control of the entire enemy team is again way to OP. over all tho this ability seem too over used as ults. there are alot of champs and concept champs that have simular abilitys. i would try coming up with something a little more interesting.

overall i dont really think that the champ has anything new to bring to the league and wouldnt have a good enough nitch to wanant being made. tho i like the ceativity.

keep trying and maybe look for soemthing that the league is missing and how you can bring that more to play as apposed to rehashing other abilitys and mixing and matching.
Thanks for the critique, I can agree with the damage potential on Embrace, however, I think I need to clarify that the enemy or ally is only pulled to you if you activate Spirit Away. The Secondary damage effect was to give players a choice between the pull's utility or a chance at some nice damage or healing. I'm thinking I going to significantly lower initial damage or remove it entirely and up the AP ratio on the secondary damage.

As far as the abilities having secondary abilities, I kinda like that functionality. He's a mage, but I want him to focus more on utility than damage. In my first draft of the champ, Waltz was his only damaging ability along with the situational Malevolence. I designed the abilities such that supporting teammates gives Gepetto more damage opportunities than just spamming Waltz all day.

As far as his Ult, it works like Fiddle's or Morgana's ultimate where Gepetto can move around, but the tethers can be broken by moving out of range. As far as the second ability, it will work just like Riven's does, simply reactivate, point and click. Taking control of an enemy champ might be a little iffy, but It's not like they'll be using their abilities or anything. They will simply work like a pet.

Asylum Lux

03-30-2012

Wow, this Better Orianna champion looks really cool.

Morec0

04-05-2012

The abilities are awesome but what really got me was the backstory. There is just something poetic and... basically creepy about this one that sets it apart from Orianna while still being completely based on her. I applaud your brilliant storywork.

But on gameplay; I definately see some similarities between him and Orianna, but mostly in the realm of mechanics (the usage of casting from locations the Champion himself is not) as well as the shield function (but I suppose that can't be helped). Other than those minor differences I see this guy as possibly being a great addition to the League. Here's hoping you ger recognized!

EDIT: Can't wait for Fawkes - the signifigance of the name is not lost on me, and so garners my interest.

Draginath

04-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morec0 View Post
The abilities are awesome but what really got me was the backstory. There is just something poetic and... basically creepy about this one that sets it apart from Orianna while still being completely based on her. I applaud your brilliant storywork.

But on gameplay; I definately see some similarities between him and Orianna, but mostly in the realm of mechanics (the usage of casting from locations the Champion himself is not) as well as the shield function (but I suppose that can't be helped). Other than those minor differences I see this guy as possibly being a great addition to the League. Here's hoping you ger recognized!

EDIT: Can't wait for Fawkes - the signifigance of the name is not lost on me, and so garners my interest.
Thanks, I really enjoyed writing his lore. It kinda just came to me as I was finishing up some last touches on his skillset. I like that he is similar to Orianna while at the same time having a different flavor. I'm a big believer that a new champs doesn't have to be entirely fresh, but just a different take on a classic. Someone might like the basis of Orianna's playstyle but want just a little something different and I think this champ could bring that.

I'm preparing to post Fawkes. I've had everything but his lore done for a while and wasn't sure if I should post without the full package.

Draginath

04-09-2012

Still reworking some of the health mechanics.

12345 ... 7