Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What is "high" elo for dominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Erazmus

02-26-2012

Thanks for the input everyone.

My games were almost entirely solo queue with about 10% duo queue.

In regards to whoever said I understand basics/builds but not teamplay, I don't think this is entirely true. I regularly adapt my builds though I suppose I won't know if my adaptations are bad unless I'm told so. Teamplay is made difficult in solo queue, but I don't fall for many of the traps normal people do.

EG: I don't stay to cap when I don't need to. I hang around speed shrines rather than hogging points. I run to backdoor if they're turtled on a point. I get my teammates to group up before we try to seige a point. I go bot fairly frequently since it's a lot rarer for me to lose bot than some random.

I just checked the ELO of everyone in the game I played. A few of them were bad but we were all 1700 elo

The best on their team but also the lowest dominion ELO was/is a 2k elo player in season 1 and 1, NerfCyclone. I beat her. *Sunglasses*

KimKelley

02-26-2012

Quote:
Erazmus:
I just have a bit of difficulty believing I'm in the top 5-10% of dominion players.

There are a couple explanations.

1. You are that good.
2. Not everyone in the JabeBot pool is an "active" Dominion Player. It's possible that most of them are just casual dominion players, which would skew the data set (i.e., if there are 2 million casuals and 100,000 dedicated players, you may just be better than all the casuals and at the very bottom of the active players list).
3. You aren't that good but you're good enough and lucky enough. ( i.e., you were lucky enough to get enough good people on your team in the first couple games to boost your elo and you're not bad enough that you cause your team to lose.)
--This can be tested by deliberately losing games until you reach 1200 elo or so and then seeing if you can solo queue your way back up to 1700. If you can get there, you're that good.

Probably other explanations but wouldn't you just feel better assuming #1 to be true?

edit: For the record, I play Dominion a fair bit and I was in the 1450s or so when last I checked. I can be characterized as someone who doesn't play stupid but who cannot carry poor players to victory (E.g., someone who can competently handle bot but will not completely dominate it). Just in case that information is at all useful to you.

Cocona Vatel

02-26-2012

since when did dominon have ranked? or we talking bout normals hidden elos

Forbiddian

02-27-2012

The average player who plays a rated SR game is about 1200 rated. This person must own I think 16 champions, plus be level 30. Those are pretty strict requirements and that ensures that they've played several hundred games of League of Legends before they even try a rated game. If you're 1700 rated on SR rated, you're in the top 5% of players who have played rated games. I couldn't find official stats from Riot, but I'd be surprised if more than 5 or 10% of players ever play a rated game. This is a pretty naturally self-selecting group of serious gamers. People who put in the hours, liked League of Legends enough to get level 30, and then wanted to play RATED.

The average player who plays a dominion game is about 1200 rated. There are no requirements for this and plenty of level 1s play Dominion. Far from selecting only the most serious gamers, if anything, Dominion is self-selecting for casual gamers ("it's fast, it's fun!&quot. If you're 1700 rated on Dominion, you're in the top 5% of players who played Dominion. That's a much different club and a much different statement.

In a way, it's good to get your priorities straight. If you're 1700, you *are* in the top 5% of players who played Dominion. That's really good. Compared to a professional, you're complete **** obviously, but 1700 is an extremely respectable rating. At the same time, a 1700 SR player is probably much better at this game.

AbsolutePK

02-27-2012

Quote:
Prometheius:
Or when you solo and get paired with a 4-man super low to balance it out.

So that's what this was about.

Missed some names and too lazy to correct, but it was a while ago and you can't tell what champ they were anyway.

02-27-2012

Quote:
Forbiddian:
That's really good. Compared to a professional, you're complete **** obviously, but 1700 is an extremely respectable rating. At the same time, a 1700 SR player is probably much better at this game.

I disagree 100% on both parts. I played solo with 4 other solos with three of us in the 1700-1800 range and two right at about 2k. We got matched against Sauron in a 3 man premade, I believe, and held our own. We struggled at the start and then came back and won. I think that if you are in the 1700 range it shows that you're a competent fighter (know how to focus and whom to focus), that you have decent map awareness, know how to build/counter, and that you're willing to work with a team to win a match. That doesn't mean you won't ever make mistakes but it means you have the ability to learn from them. From that point to "pro" level, it's developing a team (comp or group of people) and fine tuning strats to help give you an edge over the opponents.

I also think that those qualities will transcend to SR. I know there are other intricacies but a capable player has the ability to learn and adapt.

Kedoren

02-27-2012

Yeah, the ratings seem skewed. I can't get a msg to JabeBot atm but last time I checked I was around 1880 and I just won a game. I seriously doubt I could get past bronze in SR.

Forbiddian

02-27-2012

Quote:
I disagree 100% on both parts. I played solo with 4 other solos with three of us in the 1700-1800 range and two right at about 2k. We got matched against Sauron in a 3 man premade, I believe, and held our own. We struggled at the start and then came back and won. I think that if you are in the 1700 range it shows that you're a competent fighter (know how to focus and whom to focus), that you have decent map awareness, know how to build/counter, and that you're willing to work with a team to win a match. That doesn't mean you won't ever make mistakes but it means you have the ability to learn from them. From that point to "pro" level, it's developing a team (comp or group of people) and fine tuning strats to help give you an edge over the opponents.

I also think that those qualities will transcend to SR. I know there are other intricacies but a capable player has the ability to learn and adapt.

You *are* a 1700 player. From that perspective, I think it would be very difficult to see what a 2200 player is doing better than you are.

I'm a 2000 rated player, and I notice that 1700 players make a lot of mechanical errors. There's a bigger gap between me and them than just being on a premade. I can only assume that 2300 players make similar improvements in skill between where I am and where they are.

Fledrel

02-27-2012

how do you find an elo for normal dominion?

Argodis

02-27-2012

Quote:
Forbiddian:
In a way, it's good to get your priorities straight. If you're 1700, you *are* in the top 5% of players who played Dominion. That's really good. Compared to a professional, you're complete **** obviously, but 1700 is an extremely respectable rating. At the same time, a 1700 SR player is probably much better at this game.

I agree with this. Most "high elo" Dominion players don't even understand basic champ and lane match-ups, something that many 1700 or 1800 SR players do understand.