Does anyone actually get hurt feelings?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XxLoneMercxX

12-20-2013

Hey guys, just a question for all of you.
Do you guys ever actually get hurt feelings and legitimately feel the person on the other end should lose their account? Just messing around on the forums and I though I should read tribunal stuff, since I know nothing about it. Why are we banning people for hurting other peoples feelings? The reason in the tribunal FAQs is ludicrous. "A player should not have to resort to mute" Is that a joke? Remove the option of mute then, or ease up on bans. I have not been banned, so this isnt a "OMG I HATE RIOT THREAD"
I legit want to know what you guys think about this. No games I have played (Or noticed while playing) have a report feature for hurt feelings. In real life, should I run and tell my parents everything? This is literally gaining riot thousands of dollars on Champion and RP Sales

Naelarstrasz

12-20-2013

I've never endured hurt feelings. But I find it ludicrous that anyone should even attempt to do so. Also. This is Riot's grounds. If you don't like what they're doing in setting up a stable environment for everyone to play in, you either take it up with them or play with your own friends constantly as to not agitate other players.

Fair note: The Tribunal is based on the principle "Don't be a jerk".

Here is the summoner's code: http://gameinfo.na.leagueoflegends.c...ummoners-code/

XxLoneMercxX

12-20-2013

So, you are pro bans for hurt feelings?
I just want to know what everyone thinks. Just imagine a real franchise doing this, trying to make absolutely everyone happy is crazy. Not even going to consider reading summoners code my friend, anyone with a brain could recite what it says without reading it. I'm not saying remove the tribunal, as it does clearly stop extreme hate, but there needs to be a line. Someone calling me a F***er or a F*g is honestly no reason to ban them, 99% of teens use this vulgar vocabulary on the regular, and see this as a perfect way to ruin someones day. This game is rated for teens, empowering teens is great, but online interactions need not be governed, unless it is an extreme case. I stand for everything the tribunal stands for except this "toxic player" reporting. Toxicity will stay no matter how many people you ban. There should be a different punishment at the very least for these "offenders", have their matches made with other most likely young teen offenders, and review them while they know.

Naelarstrasz

12-20-2013

The intent of the Tribunal and its functions isn't to root out even rude people. It's to root out those who are utterly toxic and consistently ruin games for others.

Go toxic ape**** mode for one game in your career and you will never see action on Tribunal. Maybe from Riot if someone reports you for being extreme, but that takes some work at. Also, you are presenting the idea called "Prisoner's Island". This has been discussed too many times before to even remotely hold my interest.

Ulanopo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulanopo View Post
“People who report are simply being oversensitive. The mute button exists for a reason.”

Let’s start with the Riot quote on this:

[Citation needed]

Simply put, Riot says no. You can scream and cry all you want, but it is their house and their rules.
With that out of the way, I think the topic deserves some further discussion. The theory is that, if people resolved to care less, then they would be happier. I often refer to this as “Argument from Stoicism” and I think it is a fairly weak philosophy because it places the burden on the person being expected to endure the behavior rather than the person exhibiting the behavior. “You should be able to handle it” is just a flimsy excuse for being a bully or a jerk. I have to be the bigger man so that you can do whatever you want? That hardly seems fair.

There is a great scene in Big Bang Theory where Amy learns that Penny uses the word “Shamy” to refer to her and Sheldon as a couple. Without any sort of anger, she immediately turns to Penny and says, “I don’t like that. Please stop doing that.”
Also, the average age for League is actually in the mid-20's.

Lastly, you have a mention of what amounts to a "Prisoner's Island" in there. Lyte has written extensively about why that's a bad idea.

AeroWaffle

12-20-2013

Hurt feelings? No.

Less enjoyable experience? Yes.

This may surprise many people, but I do play games for an enjoyable experience. And being insulted is not enjoyable.

What's wrong with preventing those who would be an ass from playing the game? They've shown that they don't care about other's enjoyment of the game, why should we care about their enjoyment?

From Riot's viewpoint, more people will play the game if more people find it enjoyable. So it's in Riot's best interest to punish the players that make the game un-enjoyable for a large amount of other players.

Saint Latona

12-21-2013

What I can't understand is why people cannot have thicker skin so that they don't feel like they have to hurt others' feelings. Like seriously, how thin-skinned do you have to be to insult and put down others?

KittyPrawn

12-21-2013

Why should someone be allowed to hurt someone else's feelings? What's the purpose?

You're right. It is unrealistic to expect everyone to be happy. Riot isn't expecting everyone to be happy, hold hands, and sing kumbaya. They are expecting people to not be jerks.

Terezar

12-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naelarstrasz View Post
I've never endured hurt feelings. But I find it ludicrous that anyone should even attempt to do so. Also. This is Riot's grounds. If you don't like what they're doing in setting up a stable environment for everyone to play in, you either take it up with them or play with your own friends constantly as to not agitate other players.

Fair note: The Tribunal is based on the principle "Don't be a jerk".

Here is the summoner's code: http://gameinfo.na.leagueoflegends.c...ummoners-code/
perfectly put.

Totesanhos

12-21-2013

Hurt feelings? Only for the poor players that have to suffer 30-50 minutes of their life with a complete idiot troll for a teammate. Makes me feel bad that I beat a team of poor unfortunate people that had that one teammate that ruined their game. Just got done with a match with a Garen that spammed all chat to us after he charged in alone and said "no fair that was 1v5 you guys are tryhard f******". I can only imagine what his team was saying to him. Then when we won he said my team ruined his game for him by being gay and jerks (wat?). And I mean his name contained the word gay. So I put a ticket in about him. So yes people can easily get their feelings hurt in this game by players like him. It's a game meant to be fun. Have fun. If a player is bothering you, ignore them and report them for it and just go about your day. No need to come to the forums and make a dumb post about what I'm sure was just one bad game you had.