@riot: Throwing Omen away for Riven?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Black x9

08-26-2012

... Omen seems cool.. >3> .....

KingTuf

08-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampiric Ruin View Post
But but... a melee Omen with leaping abilities and maybe even some form of stealth... or some sort of skill that makes him phase out from reality (e.g. can still see him, can't attack him and he can't attack you)... *drool*

And I mean, look at Shaco. He's one of the most successful champions in League and his background/personality doesn't seem very developed. He's there, he kills people, he laughs while doing it, he's a psycho.

Not every champion needs to have an awesome persona and what not, some can just look cool and have cool spell effects and be fun to play. I know I'd instabuy that myself.

Well... just sad that there's not more monstrous champions, like actually monstrous. (demons, mutants, undead, beasts, etc.)
My gosh, I just found this thread and realized that Rengar is you idea Vampiric Ruin! Don't know if thats how Riot got it or not but my gosh, that leap and stealth seems incredibly familiar...
P.S. 1000% supporting the rebirth of Omen! He looks AWESOME and we need more characters like him in league, things are getting to... humanoid...

Morec0

09-08-2012

Reading this... I've decided to take up the challenge of re-designing the Omen Character! Look for my post on it in the Champion Creation Forums in the coming week.

Morec0

09-11-2012

Double post, which I appologize for, but, for those of you who don't frequent the Champion Creation Board that often, or ever, I have - except for some potential personality fine-tuning - completed my idea of Omen - Violence Incarnate.

DEMIGODFTW

09-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
...gauntlets aside, yes, there was a lot of business about Omen in the day. I myself wasn't terribly sold on his concept from the initial pitch, and the challenges sort of just piled up after that.

It was honestly a lot of fun trying to solve for various problems, and as always, challenges are what makes this line of work worth it.

In the end however, I agree completely about the 8 out of 10 statement. We could have pushed it, and tried to squeeze blood from that stone, but in the form we had him I indeed feel like putting him aside was the correct choice.

/resume frosty relations.
how bout him being a side project! when you have free time and feel like working (once in a blue moon?)

ZzShy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2012

You guys at Riot all say the main reason he's been put aside right now is because his appearance doesnt seem to fall into any role or get through what you want to get through, but what if thats just it. What if the main thing about him is more along the lines of 'looks can be deceiving' over 'we need him to look like he acts'. That can be his thing, making you think at first glance 'oh, man, I have no idea what this thing is going to do', just to come at you with the last thing you wouldve though he COULD do.

Kohou

09-17-2012

I can see what you guys are saying, him not falling into any role because of his looks. But in a way isn't that reinforcing the meta?

Who's to say he does one thing or the other? What stops him from doing both, or maybe even neither? If he had a completely unique aspect to the way he was played, wouldn't that in a way reinforce his own character?

For an example, let's look at Jayce. He was made on almost the same viewpoint, yet when people first saw him no one knew what to make of him. Some people had believed he was a bruiser, some believed he was an AD carry, and some thought he'd be a hybrid champ.

If asked then, I would have said he was hybrid. If asked now, I'd say he's a bruiser with ranged harass.

I think if you took the same perspective when making Omen, something pretty amazing could appear. I'm sure I'm going to repeat things you guys have talked about a million times, so bare with me.

What makes Omen himself? Well, most notably the spikes. But what do they convey? When I see him, I think of an old mythological creature with a name that escapes me at the moment. What did it do? It shot spikes from its tail.

However, he also has aspects of someone tanky even though his build type is lean. That's where part of the problem comes from, correct?

For starters, I see the spikes on his back are forward facing, almost like they were meant to be a weapon but someone wasn't sure. If you made them rear facing, then it would streamline his design, giving the appearance of something more mobile and dangerous than 'in-your-face' and beefy.
With the way he looks right now, I get a Rammus vibe out of him even though he's the opposite of Rammus. I understand that the spikes on his back most likely had more of a purpose than something aesthetic, but if you remove that and make them purely for visual appeal it opens up new possibilities for his 'role' and moveset.

Like I said before, when I see him I see something that should be highly mobile and dangerous, but some of his other features didn't compliment that. If you turn the spikes on his back around you create a new look altogether. It's a small change that could help convey him to one role more than another.

Now his build in general is another thing. He looks like he's super mobile, but he also looks like he's meant to get into the fray of things. Besides the problem I mentioned before, there's one other thing that shows this: His legs.

I'd say his head positioning is also conveying that, but we'll start with his legs. If you look at him, two things can come to mind:

1) He's going to pounce AT you, or
2) He's going to pounce away from you.

When I see him I see something menacing yet playful, sort of like a cat playing with its food. That's where the head position comes in. When something has it's head down like that, it's either submissive, or it's going to pounce. The position his legs and head are in convey that he's being submissive, but his sneer and eyes show that he's ready to pounce. If the position of his head, length of his neck, or positioning or style of his legs were changed, it could easily change the way he's perceived.

It's all very subtle, but I think it makes a huge difference on how someone sees something.

vargo

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I'm sorry.. we don't listen to our community?

I.. I'm a little hurt by that.
you do relax

Zkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2012

This is sad that none of you guys understand Riots points on his cancellation.

Omen looks like a grunt. You could place him in the wolves camp and he would fit right in. What makes him unique? His smile? Pretty weak characterization there.

Astronaut Teemo

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
A demonish character that shoots quills or spikes is cool. The question is -- should it be a champion or an NPC (such as a minion or pet)? I tend to think we can make cooler reptilian or demonic champions.
redo cho gath so that omen is his pet kinda like malzahars voidlings