@riot: Throwing Omen away for Riven?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Agilism

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2012

Well going back to the "how do we know there isn't a million of them" you could call him Omen, King of the spike-back creatures, or whatever. This would imply that yes, there are many, but he is the FAR superior of his race. There are billions of humans, but the exceptional ones are the ones who are picked to be fighters and champions.

vRisk x

02-26-2012

I'm gonna go ahead and say Omen NEEDS to be fixed because he is so unique looking, and fun to play.

Zygen360

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agilism View Post
Well going back to the "how do we know there isn't a million of them" you could call him Omen, King of the spike-back creatures, or whatever. This would imply that yes, there are many, but he is the FAR superior of his race. There are billions of humans, but the exceptional ones are the ones who are picked to be fighters and champions.
Or maybe something more like..

Omen The Quill of the void?

Or Omen The Thorn of the void

I feel like these are a bit more title like. Just suggesting tho.

Btw riot I now have made it my job to see this thread never dies so

vRisk x

02-26-2012

What about Gangplank? He's a dude that runs around with a sword and a pistol, yet he's melee. But he also has a very strong ranged attack. Isn't that loaded with burden of knowledge and a visual design flaw?

Agilism

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygen360 View Post
Or maybe something more like..

Omen The Quill of the void?

Or Omen The Thorn of the void

I feel like these are a bit more title like. Just suggesting tho.

Btw riot I now have made it my job to see this thread never dies so
if you read all the red posts, you'd see he wasn't going to be from the void. That was part of his misconception.

Eclipse Apostle

02-26-2012

Gotta agree with what Xypherous said about creatures being seen as minibosses, at least with Cho'gath. Everytime I fight a decently farmed Cho I feel like I'm raiding. Did he slam the ground? MOVE MOVE MOVE! Keep him from the backlines so he can't hit our AP with his scream. Am I too low? I need to rotate out to make sure he doesn't Feast me! Vorpal Spikes is the only move I don't really have to strategize on, unless I'm playing him.

Overall, he's a really fun champion that makes you think when you fight him and when you play him. If Omen wasn't going to hit it on the head like Cho'gath, then I'm glad you guys pulled the plug.

Fat Mchugelarge

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post
Man I was working on a serious response to this thread, but all this noodle talk has got me hungry. :/

Hunger aside, these comments are reaffirming in my mind we made the correct decision by holding back on this character. Contrary to initial expectations he was not a Void champion, had no stealth mechanic, didn't jump, wasn't an assassin, and was not melee. This disconnect between the visuals, theme, and gameplay was highly damaging to overall cohesiveness of the character. He was a fun character to work on and there are certainly redeeming elements of this champion. His core kit was testing well and elements of the art did have strong appeal such as the prowling monster vibe, the Cheshire Cat grin, and awesome spikes. As someone who worked directly on this champion, I can safely say I was as excited, if not more so, than anyone to see this champion released.

That said, I assure you despite the positives of this character Omen did suffer from several critical flaws and he was not a character we could have gotten to the quality level required by his ship date. We chose to delay the patch and move Riven up a bit instead of releasing a champion the team wasn't proud of. We learned a lot of valuable lessons about our internal pipeline and champion creation practices as a result and have ultimately made, and will continue to make, better and better champions as a result. As for seeing Omen in the future, there were a lot of good elements in this character and it is quite possible we could see him, or parts of him in future designs.
In other words, he doesn't have boobs, thus no appeal.

Which is sad, because he looks interesting, unlike Fiora, who's basically Fire Emblem Marth with boobs and no tiara.

concretebuddha

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mchugelarge View Post
In other words, he doesn't have boobs, thus no appeal.
Wouldn't he have udders?

Nukemouse

02-26-2012

My suggestion would be that he be shifted from the "reptile" appearance into a "cheshire cat" style of being.
This fits in with the whole void theme and makes him more interesting.

Zygen360

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agilism View Post
if you read all the red posts, you'd see he wasn't going to be from the void. That was part of his misconception.
Sorry. I read a few pages Didn't read enough on him apparently tho.

Regardless i'm still keeping this thread alive ^_^