@riot: Throwing Omen away for Riven?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

concretebuddha

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBeNirvana View Post
This. Omen has the best potential for melee assassin monster I've ever seen. You shouldn't have tried to make a square peg fit into a round hole.
When I see Omen's art, I think:

• Melee range with claws/bite.
  • Leap/knockdown ability.
  • Ranged spines on a cooldown (possibly pins a target in place?)

So I understand Riot's perspective here, that the ranged kit just doesn't fit, so they cut their losses instead of releasing a half baked champion.

I think the concept is sound, just with different abilities that actually fit. Though I will say that it would be a challenge to make this character play differently than Akali, Talon, Nocturne, or heck, even Cho'Gath.

Aradalth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2012

Riot, here is my proposal:

Q: and a short ranged nuke ( a bite?) that becomes ranged when w is active
w: make him a melee dps with an ability that makes him ranged for a certain amount of time,
E: have a ms/as steroid,
R: an ultimate that sends large spikes to impale enemies in an area and snare them as well as damage them.

There you go, a very interesting and pretty unique champion, right now, it sounds like you are making excuses/ are worried he wont be popular enough,, but please consider him!

Frequently Fizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zileas View Post
how about we just go make you more vaguely evil awesome looking champions and you forgot you asked for this one ;p
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

xelaker

02-26-2012

dear riot,
maybe we stop worrying about whether the champion looks like melee or ranged and give us a cool champion

Celebi

Recruiter

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradalth View Post
right now, it sounds like you are making excuses/ are worried he wont be popular enough,, but please consider him!
This.

If he wasn't going to be popular, why did so many of us jump to the idea of Omen becoming real as soon as we learned he was cancelled... If he was like Rob Blackblade or Averdrian, then that's another story, but Omen is getting as much attention as the Spider Queen and Well the Hydrosoul... I really wonder what goes on in Riot's mind... We get a champion like Amumu, which is SO simple, but Omen gets shelved. They really are making excuses, and they use their new, high as hell standards as a boost...

Seriously... Look at this, how did one conquer the other by becoming an official champion...

Celebi

Recruiter

02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
How about we just go make you more vaguely evil awesome looking champions and you forgot you asked for this one ;p
No.

We want Omen.

Zazzerpan

02-26-2012

Meh, I can definitely see the ambiguity and lack of focus which lead to his demise. Sure he has an interesting aesthetic design (and that's probably why it was so hard to drop him), but he's like more minion than champion. Seems his aesthetic character as-is only goes as far as "some *****in' Spike Pinneedle Missiles and maybe it's feral?"

I'm sure he could be crafted into a very complete and worthy design, but it just didn't happen in the right amount of time and effort and sometimes that's just how design works.

911toast

02-26-2012

You know how in the action movies they kill the character you just briefly meet and you are left with the feeling "aw I wanted to get to know that guy better". Riot just killed the funny black guy. You are all murderers.

Zygen360

02-26-2012

Bump

Omen shall emerge from the void.

Duelpower

02-26-2012

The name omen doesn't even seem to fit the picture art I saw on the wiki page.

When I see the name omen I think of something like a mini shaman like in act 3 of diablo II.
Maybe someone who even uses totems as special effect wards on the map.