@riot: Throwing Omen away for Riven?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oxiizu

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We have a priority to make globally appealing champions. That means everywhere LoL is played.

It's pretty random how that all shakes out. A lot of stuff just works. Like Vayne and Nocturne.
New Zealand here, time to get a half sheep half man themed champion up in here.

Wallister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Yeah, it's pretty awesome...

For some reason, I am unable to correctly keep the word order for that particular item in my head. I mean, I'm not a native mandarin speaker, but is it Nu Zho Mien or Nu Zho Tong Mien or what?

I think I created significant humor for some of my colleagues at Garena by failing to say it correctly repeatedly.

I live in Taiwan and the fact that you mention this is awesome. The beef soup here is super awesome. If I ever went to get beef noodles and met a rioter or fellow LoLer that would just blow my mind.

I'm also curious if you remember where you had the noodle soup? Somewhere in downtown Taipei I'd imagine, but I'm always looking for new places to try!

Flamell

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJaxon View Post
Sorry, I can't take credit for that idea.

Yeah, I know, which is why I'm half-hoping Xypherous reads my response.
I assumed you did XD I was referring to the person I quoted.

Lyvef1re

02-25-2012

If the op is still around I'd suggest providing links to all the fan ideas in the first post. It really helps rally the cause (see the Bunny Riven thread).

Daryslash

02-25-2012

I see him as a melee chameleon who can throw poisonous spikes at enemies. But his art needs some work. He looks too much like Cho's minion. He needs to look a little bit different, maybe bigger with some other colors.

What I mean about chameleon: not stealth. Something that could work differently, like someone said on previous posts, make him immune to attacks but also unable to attack enemies, or just give him the ability to go the same as the background but still visible (but invisible health bar, or maybe the same texture as background too) and targetable, just like camouflage but not completely invisible.

Or maybe give him the ability to auto attack (melee) during stealth for a short duration (Just like that murloc hero from dota) I can see a lof of cool stuff to fit him.

ItzJT

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
There's truth in this. Getting good feedback from the community is always helpful I say. Heck, who knows if there's a solution fit for Omen, or someone of his kind, in the contents of this thread. That's an extremely important part of the community. We're developers, but how cool is it that you guys are working out mechanics, design, visuals, story, all with us just scratching the surface of how we dealt with Omen. I think that's fantastic.

Summation: I'd like to eat your brains, please.

Nothing is ever really killed, at least from what I've seen. We sometimes icebox things so that we can swoop back in later when we come upon a good solution. We're not going to abandon what worked, we're just going to make sure what worked has the right vehicle to.. work..

Keep it up with the great feedback and great analysis! I think all of us at Riot love hearing the community's solutions and ideas. Just give us time to absorb, process, and implement! It's hard to keep up with you guys with all the good ideas you throw at us! =D
It's great to hear that our input is in fact valued in some way shape or form.

As an aspiring artist and student of art, I would like to pick your mind ever so briefly on this subject matter. While not directly relating to the topic of Omen, I'm interested in the mindset per se behind the decision. And even more so as a whole in creating art for champions in the case.

What I'm interested in learning is how you approach creating art for a champion. In relation to Omen, to some degree, when creating a champion intended to be an ranged AD Carry his attacks are limited to a physical projectile, thus establishing the champion as a ranged AD carry, merely by laying eyes on the champion. Naturally we have champions wielding guns as well as other assorted projectiles (boomerangs, caustic spit, bows, and so on) the more obvious and commonly thought projectiles, at least for myself. Where does this process continue in the future and how does an artist consider and approach taking risks? Do you create another champion wielding a gun? Or do you consider a more creative, and unique projectile? Such as throwing rocks, tossing small rodents (my apologies Teemo), or heaving pies/cake. These more comical projectiles could in fact affect the serious battling nature intended for champions. Is there room for the humorous and comical nature of such in champion design? Or is that better left to /dance and /joke? The artist in me knows that when faced with what seems to be a dwindling pool of content matter regarding projectiles for AD Carries that one is driven to problem solve and find a new projectile. Whether it be out in our world or something created. Is this a challenge you encounter? I imagine that having a forum to present your ideas is increasingly helpful when facing this. But I'd like to hear your thoughts if you feel so inclined to do so.

Champion design doesn't just concern the projectile, the design must be complete as a whole. Omen would have been unable to wield a gun, and being on all fours limits the possible projectiles. He just strikes me as a fighter. Anywho, do you design a champion starting with their weapon/projectile? Or do you start with the champion and tailor the weapon to their personality? I imagine it is a compromise of both in reality. One could take the quirky/silly champion he/she created and decide that the champion should throw pies at his/her opponents. Or one could create a champion that fits the humorous design that is inherent in throwing pies.

I apologize if my post is scattered or hard to understand, getting what is in my head down onto paper didn't prove entirely successful on this attempt.

Morrky

02-25-2012

I think I will throw in my idea, though in the sea of ideas here it most likely gets lost in the vastness.
Anyhow...

The way you can make a reptile like this work is to make him/her w/e into a " Reverse Nidalee."
You start as Omen, reptile, ranged squishy with set of poisonus spikes etc.
Your ultimate changes you into a champion with bigger stature and more humanlike that has a weapon made of its own spine.
A large sword or whip of a kind.
As with Nidalee, your skillset changes with form and the form is kept until cancelled.
His voice set changes from hissy sounds and sayings into a more of a echoing and deep yells, like kassadin.
The hiss from attack changes into a furious roar.

And perhaps this champ would use health instead of mana, fury, energy or pure cd.

Juggernaut N

02-25-2012

He looks like a character that would use stealth for some reason.

McBankington

02-25-2012

Omen is this years april fools.
You heard it here first, boys.

The Serene

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2012

Being completely new to Omen as of today I see him more of a ranged carry just by how his spikes look.

I could see him with a quick in and out teleport that poisons or causes some other effect. Shooting needles auto attack. He could have an escape that is a small move boost with black goo that trails (Nocturne's Q esk) behind him slowing people trying to chase him. I could see a really cool ultimate with a huge spike that he shoots out that comes down sort of like Pantheon's ultimate but pinning multiple targets in place. He could even have an OP passive that would cause people that were recently stuck with his needles to take damage if they move. (Ever walked with something stuck in your foot? Not Pleasant.)

Anyways silly ideas.