@riot: Throwing Omen away for Riven?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phreaks Forehead

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
This thread is now about noodles.

I love noodles. I was in Taiwan recently and had beef noodle soup. It's very good...
You need to get fired ASAP. You drunk piece of ****.

Blugyblug

02-25-2012

Quote:
In a skins meeting, someone once suggested a 'Japanese Schoolgirl' or 'Magical Girl' theme for Chogath - you know, uniform and transformation sequence and so forth on Chogath. I for one think it could work.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=496665

:L

Gentleman Oz

02-25-2012

Quote:
How about we just go make you more vaguely evil awesome looking champions and you forgot you asked for this one ;p
Alright then, make a concept for Gelb and we're cool

(I suspect less than 5% of the community will know who I'm talking about)

LimitlessChaos

02-25-2012

My friend and I were playing our bi or tri-annual Resident Evil-a-thon this past weekend and I stopped to think; there is no champion that is like Nemesis. Nemesis is such a success as many things; he's a great concept, a great enemy, a great character and an incredible presence.

Think about it, for anyone who played the game for the first time; Nemesis terrorized you before you even started playing being the subtitle of the game and being featured in some very well-done cover art (less spoily for the US/EU releases) and the instant you start you know he's going to be there, but you don't know when or where. Then, BAM, he is first mentioned by Brad (not by name) and then he makes his startling introduction in a brutal kill. He then provides you with a terror for the duration of your adventure and in most cases, proves an unstoppable juggernaut until you're well-armed.

I think we don't have any sort of champion that screams "terror" or has an "unstoppable" sort of theme. I don't want to see a champion that's quite as relatively strong as Nemesis (though he did translate into UMVC3 very well) but one who provides the same theme. A huge, intimidating, perhaps freakish-looking character (I don't think Cho'gath does the "terror" thing very well, despite his moniker) that requires some tact to face. I think that this type of champion, along with a death-themed one (I am constantly in champion-thought mode when I think of one frame from the Darksiders comic where War stabs Death with Chaoseater and Death simply withstands the blow and slices off War's arm; Strife then interjects that "...it's a good thing Death is ****-near invulnerable..." some kind of character like that would work well) could be successful. Imagine a jungling character like Nemesis that's large, scary and maybe swift (Riot's designers are pros, I'm sure one of them could find a way to give him a flaw in-line with the current direction of "clear strengths and weaknesses")

I'd love to see more demonic champions as well. I'm sad that Riot's not likely to make a skeletal champion (I have been playing the Diablo III beta, so the Skeleton King is very cool right now) and I don't see a lot of other fairly plausible themes happening either.

I think part of the bummer of these sorts of games is that we might have an archetype we very much like but won't see it in a given game that's similarly themed because something "nearby" is already there. For example, Garen is a knight but isn't necessarily the same or ideal knight character that some people would want to see. I love Garen so he works just fine for me, but that's just an example. You might say the same thing for Leona (popular tropes here) - many love the classic sword-and-shield warrior but not necessarily one themed for the sun or some such since it limits how she can act (light-based attacks all-around aside from her shield bash)

Those are just my thoughts but I really like the discussion that's opened from Omen's revealing here.

Okami Amaterasu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post

1. He doesn't look like any role in particular.

Is he a fighter? Is he ranged? If he's a fighter, why does he shoot spines? If he's ranged, why is he so spindly?

>when i first saw him i thought he could be an ad caster like riven, but a ranged one

2. He doesn't look like he has a whole lot of individual personality to him whatsoever.
>why every champ need to have a strong personality? i mean, it's a monster, i would like a champ with intuitive "personality"....( like kog...he's always hungry D: )

Why isn't there 10,000 Omens? He kind of just looks like a hydralisk equivalent in the zerg army. That's great for a zerg unit and a monster or a miniboss, but why is this character a unique champion?
>why isn't Omen the alpha male of the "smaller omens" horde (for example)?

3. Does he have more than niche appeal?

He's kind of got this western alien-retro horror spine needle aspect going on - those are all pretty niche.

>i...don't really understand this question :/
and then
later you guys make sej
god damm SEJ
the one boring champ to rule ALL of the boring champs ಠ_ಠ

astralInferno

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2012

I think Omen looks awesome.

Dragonsafe

02-25-2012

mmmmm... noodles...

wait... this may have been a distraction from something... but what?

hmm.............

W/e i can't remember.

So he was a champion who shoots out spines? Spines was his auto attack? O.o
I see how that would be hard, the only thing i can think of relatively close to that is Armadon from HoN and that's his q spell. (and is hyper annoying)...

Actually come to think of it, you could add a champion like armadon to LoL. Obviously not shooting spines, but the idea behind it. A super tanky champion who initially deals no damage, but if left alone over a long period of time starts eating away at your entire health bar. The only one close to this is Soraka... tho she is squishy by nature, with heals for days making her susceptible to burst damage unlike pure tanks.

Fuzzy zombie kit

02-25-2012

Honestly the flavor of Omen's art alone just draws me in.
It was mentioned to on this thread, that one of the reasons why he wasn't released was because he didn't fit the void, due to no stealth mechanic etc.

His body type, shape of his legs esp, make him look like a burrower, have you thought about using that as his stealth mechanic?
In my mind, I picture him stealthing underground and then burrowing up and grabbing his enemy by the feet and pulling them down into the ground, leaving only their head explosed... jumping out of the ground and biting their heads off ><.

Hrm... maybe more of a fatality than an ultimate O.o

Also, beef noodles are amazing.
Ramen, the international food of poor college kids everywhere.

Heshin

02-25-2012

I liked Beef Noodle's art why'd you cancel him? And why did Zileas change the topic of this thread to Omen? Is he being released? Hooray!

Mjaxon

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek View Post
Naaah, they refuse to show Demacians in a non-good way. Has been the case since I've played (less than a year, admittedly) and since it "appeals to a broader audience" to have a clearly good side, it ain't gonna change soon.
Knights in Shining Armor everywhere...

But I do find your idea awesome.
Sorry, I can't take credit for that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamell View Post
You know that was Riven's original background right?
Yeah, I know, which is why I'm half-hoping Xypherous reads my response.