@riot: Throwing Omen away for Riven?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hidden Sniper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2012

While you are at it release Priscilla as well!

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Priscilla

Teemaw

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
...we going there?

ಠ_ಠ
ye

Mappy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2012

One of the problem you seem to be having is showing that he is ranged, when he looks melee.

What could have been done was simply show him shooting spikes in his splash art that would give it away that he fights at a range with his spikes.

Out of curiosity, Was he a ranged AD Carry, or first Ranged Tanky DPS?

Friendly Cadaver

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
A demonish character that shoots quills or spikes is cool. The question is -- should it be a champion or an NPC (such as a minion or pet)? I tend to think we can make cooler reptilian or demonic champions.
You should make another Malzahar skin where the "Omen" is one of the pets he summons from his passive. Kinda solves it.

Or you can give him an interesting story along the lines of Kog'maw (just happening upon our world because he is hungry). He could have abilities that prove him to be an "Alpha Dog" of sorts where he can summon the rest of his pack every so often.

Come2mama

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Hate View Post
But but... a melee Omen with leaping abilities and maybe even some form of stealth... or some sort of skill that makes him phase out from reality (e.g. can still see him, can't attack him and he can't attack you)... *drool*

And I mean, look at Shaco. He's one of the most successful champions in League and his background/personality doesn't seem very developed. He's there, he kills people, he laughs while doing it, he's a psycho.

Not every champion needs to have an awesome persona and what not, some can just look cool and have cool spell effects and be fun to play. I know I'd instabuy that myself.

Well... just sad that there's not more monstrous champions, like actually monstrous. (demons, mutants, undead, beasts, etc.)
Agree, I think it would be really fun if Riot add monstruous champions, not humanoid, but monsters walking on four legs or even fifty legs. Like Fiora.. she looks awesome to play, I really wanna buy her, but why isn't she a demon with horns or something where I could see hate and evil? It may look a crazy thing, but I doubt that LoL players wouldn't instabuy a champion like that.

Ashaira

Adjudicator

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy4ever View Post
One of the problem you seem to be having is showing that he is ranged, when he looks melee.

What could have been done was simply show him shooting spikes in his splash art that would give it away that he fights at a range with his spikes.

Out of curiosity, Was he a ranged AD Carry, or first Ranged Tanky DPS?
i seem to remember a certain mutant who looked like a hulking spiky beast but instead he shot his spikes most of the time. i also dont seem to recall anyone being confused about him not using melee attacks

EbonRat

Recruiter

02-25-2012

I rather think he looks like A Quillspike from Diablo.

Give him a slow, ability to do multishots,
Uhhh....
And....
Shoot Bacon noodles like Twitch's ult?
By the way, didn't know Leona cheated on me...

D1zz1

02-25-2012

Probably gonna get downvoted for this, but am I the only one here that agrees with their decision? I mean, the concept is kind of cool, I guess. But everything the reds have said makes sense. The character doesn't have a specific function instantly visually implied by its design. It has a lot of different interpretations, evidenced by this thread itself. And even if they were to pick one of those and roll with it, would it really be that cool of a character? It looks like a scraggly minion type of character. Nothing about it visually implies any kind of backstory or personality. Putting Omen into the game would be like taking one of malzahar's voidlings and making it a champ with its own kit. No offense to whoever did the concept art/modeling for it but it looks like something you would throw together real quick in an adventure game for 'generic monster to kill #7'.

I'm all for putting more monsters into the game, and I think that's a good portion of the motivation behind people asking about this champion. I think Fiora is pretty lame, honestly. People want unique champions that stand out and have strong identity and personality. The problem, as has been pointed out, is this is not something that can be explained through lore. In a game like LoL, it has to be visually instantly implied. No matter how neat your model is, if it doesn't stand out as a character it's not worthy of the roster. I think that Riot does need to make more champions in the category of Omen...unique monster-types like cho gath and malphite, etc. But Omen himself is not worth pursuing. It's hard to give personality to a monster, and I think that's why they shy away from it or just make hybrid humanoids like wukong and ahri. Riot has shown us that they can do it, it's just a matter of time. I think the fact that Riot decided against Omen proves more than anything that they are dedicated to good champion design and all the fine print of what goes into it (and I'm not talking about kit design here, just appearance/concept). We all want a monster champion, but Riot would be selling us short if they just pushed Omen through just to give us something now. They want to make sure its solid from every angle, and while have my problems with some of the kits in recent months, I think that overall they have a respectable design philosophy.

So yeah...inc downvotes.

GrogTheTrollGod

02-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
...we going there?

ಠ_ಠ
He goin' there and you are going to run out of gauntlets to throw down.

Uohc Dalanor

02-25-2012

A voidborn champ you say?
If we were to have another ominous void champion, it should be the mofo that tainted Kassadin, or the one Malzahar mentioned as the one who swell the seas, or the one who butt-raped Nautilus. Or it has done all three.

A void kraken that is with a humanoid top and octopi limbs below the belt line. something like this: http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/thu...oncept_art.jpg by Daniel Dociu
with tendrils in the likes of tyranid lictor alphas and cthulhu-like face with many eyes.

his abilities involves his tentacles and tendrils, spewing ink, and harnessing immense void energies.

i think we need another gentleman of the void to chin-wag with cho gath.

over 90% of the champs are of full Humanoids (despite some added components) with over 50% within the pool have pure human components. The releasing of them every week have made league so homogeneous. More 'impossible creatures' (omg play that game, its amazing), insects, and aliens pl0xx.