@riot: Throwing Omen away for Riven?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kohou

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkaiser View Post
This is sad that none of you guys understand Riots points on his cancellation.

Omen looks like a grunt. You could place him in the wolves camp and he would fit right in. What makes him unique? His smile? Pretty weak characterization there.
He could be characterized by his skillset. What's wrong with that? Cho'gath, Kog'maw, and Skarner all have lores that suggest there could be thousands of them. Why should they be in the League? Because of their skillsets.

His appearance is a big portion of the problem, but if you read what I posted a little bit ago there are several things that can be done to change that. As for him fitting in with the wolves... that's going a little too far. Last I checked, wolves didn't have low hanging heads, stringy legs that extend outwards, a wicked smile, and spikes covering their bodies but then again that's just me.

Xarkanadushak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2012

Kha'Zix!

Dragon4Athene

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Yep, we did. Omen had a lot of problems, and we spent some months trying to solve them and couldn't, so we moved on to characters where we could solve the problems. The basic issues around Omen were personification and readability. We had trouble inserting compelling personality (sortof like how Skarner struggles with this), and this diminishes his ability to appear as a 'champion' rather than a minion or pet.

Additionally, it was hard to draw him in a way that signaled him as ranged dps (where we thought the coolest kit could exist). Some people do see this in the designs, others expect assassin or melee DPS or even tank.

Plus, he eats up conceptual space we would rather use on other reptilian monsters ;p Which you guys would rather have.

I'm really excited about the champions we have coming this year.

- Zileas
Riot you need to stop being so scared to leave your comfort zone. Almost anyone would agree that dotas champion designs are way more creative and better because they dont give a fak, they have tanks that look like squishy supports and squishy supports that look like tanks. The fact you would cancel a champ because it's role isn't obvious is ridiculous. When you do make a champ out of your comfort zone you end up with a really great champ, like lee sin and zyra. No one will care if a hero seems more like a pet than a hero. In fact that would be a good idea for a champ like the pet of some great warrior who was slain and so his pet is wandering looking for a purpose or something.

lilbit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2012

Bump

Randomisation

09-17-2012

Omen is what LoL needs - a character that's as completely new and different. There are way too many human-like characters that whenever a new one gets released (Darius, Zyra etc.) it's just their skill sets you look at and no longer the characters. Even Rengar is way too similar to Warwick and looks like his grey skin. Omen is a unique character like Cho'Gath. Even Maokai is human-like in his stance and movement.Riot needs to bring some variety into the league. I've stopped buying the new characters on my mains just because they're so dull-looking.

Something unique like a blob puddle character that heals with water based spells and slithers around would be cool to see. Even Nautilus was a nice surprise as he is somewhat human-like but he's HUGE.

I don't think Omen should be released if that's what Riot believes (his kit or whatever), but really, more unique characters need to be seen.

SaloMeirul

09-18-2012

I'm bumping this.

ImogenArk

09-18-2012

Boobies. I want more funny Red posts!

Apolluon

09-18-2012

100 pages! Whew. That was a fun read. :P

Da Shizziest

09-18-2012

I kinda agree with the comment about move champ being humanoid or bipedal. Personally i love Teemo he is Yordle that is like a humanoid Gerbil but I'd love to see a more primal/beast-like champ. I know it may not be Omen, though he is awesome looking, a champ the uses raw power and no weapons but the ones he were born with like Omens spikes. I guess want most of us want is a little more variety....But anyway I love the game keep up the good work

killd0zer

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon4Athene View Post
Riot you need to stop being so scared to leave your comfort zone. Almost anyone would agree that dotas champion designs are way more creative and better because they dont give a fak, they have tanks that look like squishy supports and squishy supports that look like tanks. The fact you would cancel a champ because it's role isn't obvious is ridiculous. When you do make a champ out of your comfort zone you end up with a really great champ, like lee sin and zyra. No one will care if a hero seems more like a pet than a hero. In fact that would be a good idea for a champ like the pet of some great warrior who was slain and so his pet is wandering looking for a purpose or something.
Dota's champs are what they are becuase they had X amount of ingame models to work with. They also didn't have to work with marketing. I'd be hesitant to say "almost anyone would agree they're designed better".