Should Smurfing Be Bannable?

Yes, they should be banned. 79 26.69%
No, they should not be banned. 217 73.31%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Smurfing - Should it be bannable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AdamasHaima

05-05-2012

And you are, again correct. I am totally on your side on this. anyone who acts that way on any accout should be reported/punished. The definition you used of smurf though is not the definition the community uses. The definition I listed is the one the community uses, and when posting on the forums it is best to use the widely accepted definition of the word. Imagine someone posts "I'm gay" on the forums. They are going to be harrassed about their orientation, Even if they mean that they are happy, it is going to be misunderstood. The definition of 'gay' that the community is going to use is going to relate to sexual orientation. The intended definition would, in this case be happy, however, because it was use in a context where the definition of the word is no longer happy, it will be taken as a reference to sexual orientation.

My point is (since I feel I'm not explaining well) that the community has accepted meanings for words, and to use those words with definitions that are not what the community would typically use will cause confusion like you have seen. This is the reason you have so many 'no' votes (myself included). I read your post, and the original post, using the community definition of smurf, I did not agree with. Having read further, I totally agree. My only disagreement is on the use of the word. And it really isn't that big of a deal. I'm just trying to help clarify for you why this thread ended up the way it did. Everyone read smurf accounts should be banned, and under the community definition, there is nothing inherently wrong with these accounts. Accounts (whether it is the first or an additional account) should be punished for behaving in the way you described.

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamasHaima View Post
The definition I listed is the one the community uses, and when posting on the forums it is best to use the widely accepted definition of the word.

My point is (since I feel I'm not explaining well) that the community has accepted meanings for words, and to use those words with definitions that are not what the community would typically use will cause confusion like you have seen. This is the reason you have so many 'no' votes (myself included). I read your post, and the original post, using the community definition of smurf, I did not agree with. Having read further, I totally agree. My only disagreement is on the use of the word. And it really isn't that big of a deal. I'm just trying to help clarify for you why this thread ended up the way it did. Everyone read smurf accounts should be banned, and under the community definition, there is nothing inherently wrong with these accounts. Accounts (whether it is the first or an additional account) should be punished for behaving in the way you described.
I don't have any downvotes. (I'm not the OP).

The big issue is that I did not know the community definition of smurf, as you used. For that matter, no one defined the word on the thread before I did.

To the original poster, this is why you define the word you are talking about before having a discussion about it. You may have assumed everyone agreed on the definition of smurf, but clearly, the opinions vary.

AdamasHaima

05-05-2012

That will be the case where there isn't a LoL-nomicon, but yes, a clearer expliation of what you would like to discuss would be great.

Nesious

05-05-2012

Smurf's shouldn't be banned, its the players themselves who you were facing. Saying that all players who make Smurf accounts are rude is a stereotype that obviously isn't correct. Many, possibly most players who make Smurf accounts don't use it to troll and yell at newer players, but to help friends or have a character for a specific rune setup, trying X Champion, etc.

MetalGuitarist

05-05-2012

No, obviously not. There's no sure way of knowing that an account is actually a smurf, that alone ends the discussion. There's also nothing wrong with someone starting a new account... I can't see why anyone could have a problem with that other than they are mad about a loss. The problem isn't smurfs, it's that this game is free and ANYONE can make an account at any time and start playing. If you want things to change then get out your wallet.

Moogra2u

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGuitar View Post
No, obviously not. There's no sure way of knowing that an account is actually a smurf, that alone ends the discussion. There's also nothing wrong with someone starting a new account... I can't see why anyone could have a problem with that other than they are mad about a loss. The problem isn't smurfs, it's that this game is free and ANYONE can make an account at any time and start playing. If you want things to change then get out your wallet.
It's pretty easy to tell if an account is a smurf (but then for someone to know, they would have to be smurfing too). So let's say a level 1 first game comes out last hitting at the tower very well (possibly aided by a smurfing support for the casters), buys wards and wards properly, and successfully dodges all the skill shots. I don't know about you but when I started, I could not do any of those. That being said, I don't think smurfs should be banned for just smurfing. If they are made for stomping new players, then that's kind of stupid, and can be reported for harassment, but not for smurfing.

People are mad because they lost to someone who is clearly better than them and are clearly just trying to pick on the low level players.

JazzyOJ

05-06-2012

When done in a cheery manner I actually find it hilarious. I remember being sub-30 and seeing players do crazy things like DunkMasterYi and steamrolling. Also, AD Anivia = OP when smurfed.

Ferack

05-06-2012

Funny, I've never spent any money in my smurf accounts, just my main.

Mister Simple

05-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newatdizbrah View Post
I have been playing a few games now as a low level player personally, and found these "Smurfs" as they call them increasingly numerous.
I have grown to hate them, namely because it turns out either one of two ways -
1) They dont care because its not their main and throw the game away and insult us for being new
2) They're on the enemy team with offensive names and RP bought champions and pave us calling us noobs.

Imo this should be bannable under harassment, namely because it is harassment of lower level players for their cheap laughs.

Example: Smurf buys Ezriel and his buddy goes sona, both 2k+ elo, and pave the entire match and afterwards call the enemy team noobs.
A) They insult people because they havent been playing awhile
B) they ruin a match for people just looking to play.

Personally i think smurfing should be bannable, its extremely rude and makes the leveling system extremely difficult for lower level players.
How do you know they're 2k elo? All low levels say that o_O and I feel this is stereotyping because I made a smurf only to teach low levels how to play but why should my low level friend be penalized against lv 20~30's just because I can't smurf? That's like the equivalence of not smurfing.

As for leveling, you can always play bot games if you wish to level that much but you won't always find smurfs so I don't get why you don't just play normal games. I didn't have much trouble with smurfs when I was a nob and got 24-2 fairly consistently ish.