Should Smurfing Be Bannable?

Yes, they should be banned. 79 26.69%
No, they should not be banned. 217 73.31%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Smurfing - Should it be bannable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMii View Post
Why would you ban smurfs when smurfing is one of the ways to properly learn a new champ?
If you go jump on a level 5 account to learn a new champion, you are not learning how to play them properly. Only by playing against players of a relatively similar skill level can you determine how you should play the champion at your own level.

You can use normals to learn champions. And if you assume that you will automatically feed because you have never played the champion before, you probably aren't as talented as you would like to believe.

There was an option in the reporting system before, where you could report players for "Noob Bashing." This option was eventually removed due to issues in abusive reporting.

Also, for the sake of the discussion on this thread, define "smurf." It's difficult to have a civil discussion of a nonsensical word when everyone may not have the same idea of what it means.

I would say a "smurf" account is one created for one of two purposes:

1. To grief new players.
Some people get kicks out of rolling over new players or making them lose and watching them complain. Some of these players may have their main account and/or other low level accounts suspended, so they make more.
2. To earn referral rewards by referring one's own account, especially if a large number of said accounts have been created.
By increasing the reward level for referrals to level 10, Riot plans to significantly reduce these actions. But some will probably still continue.

Creating additional accounts to play with your new friends is fine. So also is making another account if you thought of a funny or clever name and don't want to change the name on your account. But don't go off and make a new account for either of the reasons described above.

-Savage


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

go malafat

Junior Member

05-04-2012

Its regrettable when people are rude or obnoxious but playing against a smurf may lern ya' something, even if the experience might be painful.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iCoffee

Senior Member

05-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageWolves View Post
I would say a "smurf" account is one created for one of two purposes:

1. To grief new players.
Some people get kicks out of rolling over new players or making them lose and watching them complain. Some of these players may have their main account and/or other low level accounts suspended, so they make more.
2. To earn referral rewards by referring one's own account, especially if a large number of said accounts have been created.
By increasing the reward level for referrals to level 10, Riot plans to significantly reduce these actions. But some will probably still continue.
Your definition of a smurf account utilizes only the negative aspects of smurfing and completely ignores the fact that some of us make low-level accounts to play with friends who may be new to the game.

If I happen to steamroll through games while teaching a friend how to play, then that means whoever I'm teaching to play just got to join my main account sooner rather than later, and I won't apologize for that. To apologize would be to imply that it's somehow wrong to help a friend get better at the game.

The alternative would be to have them play with my main account, constantly facing level 30 summoners. That would be unfair, but not due to the gap in experience. It would be unfair because a level 30 summoner has access to spells and skill points and runes that are literally game-changing in strength, and losing a slew of games simply because you don't have access to all those things is more likely to get someone to quit than to keep playing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-05-2012

Quote:
Your definition of a smurf account utilizes only the negative aspects of smurfing and completely ignores the fact that some of us make low-level accounts to play with friends who may be new to the game.
Did you read my whole post, or only the part you quoted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageWolves View Post

Creating additional accounts to play with your new friends is fine. So also is making another account if you thought of a funny or clever name and don't want to change the name on your account.

Just because you make another account doesn't make it a "smurf," by the definition I'm using. It's just an alternate account, created for, in your case, a perfectly legitimate reason.

That is, if you created the account for the purpose of teaching a friend and you happen to steamroll, that doesn't make you a "smurf," because steamrolling and "Noob Bashing" is not why you made the account.

Understand my opinion a little better now?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rengar was taken

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

05-05-2012

If they started banning every "Potential" Smurf account they would lose alot of community support.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bombomb

Member

05-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newatdizbrah View Post
I have been playing a few games now as a low level player personally, and found these "Smurfs" as they call them increasingly numerous.
I have grown to hate them, namely because it turns out either one of two ways -
1) They dont care because its not their main and throw the game away and insult us for being new
2) They're on the enemy team with offensive names and RP bought champions and pave us calling us noobs.

Imo this should be bannable under harassment, namely because it is harassment of lower level players for their cheap laughs.

Example: Smurf buys Ezriel and his buddy goes sona, both 2k+ elo, and pave the entire match and afterwards call the enemy team noobs.
A) They insult people because they havent been playing awhile
B) they ruin a match for people just looking to play.

Personally i think smurfing should be bannable, its extremely rude and makes the leveling system extremely difficult for lower level players.
This account is a smurf. I use it to play with a low level friend in normal games, I have rp bought champions. So I should be banned for playing with a friend who was new to the game and because I spent cash on purchasing a champ?



Ok.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rath illuser

Junior Member

05-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newatdizbrah View Post
2) They're on the enemy team with offensive names and RP bought champions and pave us calling us noobs.

Personally i think smurfing should be bannable, its extremely rude and makes the leveling system extremely difficult for lower level players.
Right... because riot wants to ban the people who are giving them real money. Also they would pave you even with the free champs if they are as good as you say they are, so why does the fact that they pay money even matter? This is why runes can only be bought with IP, because runes can drastically change the game and you should have to play the game to get them. Champions all have weaknesses and that's part of the game you have to learn, be glad you aren't just playing against the free ones you see all the time because you would continue to get stomped as a lvl 30 if you think that people shouldn't be using "OP Champs".

If people are being rude to you during the game then report them. It's as simple as that. Don't go flame on the forums about your bad experiences with the "smurfs". I will admit that if someone on my team is doing really badly I might be a little rude to them sometimes... on my lvl 30 account. If they are terrible and playing with 30's then they shouldn't have gotten all those XP Boosts (my friend did that, he got a lot of XP boosts to hit lvl 30 as fast as he could and now can't keep up with the other 30's simply because he hasn't played as many games as them). However I NEVER yell at my teammates or place blame on them while playing on my low lvl account with my friend who started playing. I also still manage to plow through games with the free champions so please stop whining about things being unfair and learn how to deal with it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AdamasHaima

Member

05-05-2012

The issue everyone is having with your post is not what you are saying. The issue is that you have changed the definition of smurf to match what YOU want it to mean. In a community, the terms you use should be used in the same way that the community uses them. Otherwise, someone is going to come in saying "all high ELO players should be banned, and by high ELO, I mean feeders". When you post to the community the definition of smurf account that is used and accepted is to mean an alternative account, (usually) created by a level 30 summoner. Notice that it does not matter the reason

That aside, the people you are describing should be banned for violations of the summoners code. It has nothing to do with being a smurf account. undoubtedly, these people are the same way on their non-smurf account. The Smurf-ness is not the issue. I use my smurf account to play with my wife, no big deal.

Truely though, when posting to a community on a forum, please refrain from altering the definition of a widely accepted word. It creates confustion, and people who read the post will not make relevant replies, because they aren't using the definition you are. for additional information google fallacy of equivication.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SolidSnakeSan

Junior Member

05-05-2012

If they violate the summoners code you have an obligation to report them for their behavior, but should all smurfs be included? I feel that those who go out of their way to cause harm or to grief others exist at all levels of game play, simply banning smurfs wouldn't take care of the problem.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamasHaima View Post
The issue is that you have changed the definition of smurf to match what YOU want it to mean. In a community, the terms you use should be used in the same way that the community uses them. When you post to the community the definition of smurf account that is used and accepted is to mean an alternative account, (usually) created by a level 30 summoner. Notice that it does not matter the reason

Truely though, when posting to a community on a forum, please refrain from altering the definition of a widely accepted word. It creates confustion, and people who read the post will not make relevant replies, because they aren't using the definition you are.
I didn't alter the definition of the word. As a matter of fact, I was the only person to define what I thought it meant on the entire thread.

Bolded is what you define the word as. You're the second person (the first being myself) to define the word on this thread.

So no, I haven't changed the definition. No one defined it to begin with.

Basically, I'm saying I would use a word other than "smurf" to describe an alternate account I, or someone else for that matter, created for a legitimate reason.

Now, using your definition of "smurf," to answer the question of the thread:

Those that create "smurf" accounts (by your definition) should not be banned unless they do violate the summoner's code. Doing the things I described in my first post is a prime example.