Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Xerath: Is he as terrible as I think he is?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BigDaddyDelish

02-24-2012

Quote:
Isysar:
Ok BigDaddy, thank you for this post. Can you explain how you build him? Item order, runes and so forth?

I'm glad to hear someone is having successful with him.

I played him a bit on SR, but I'm no pro with him. I know he's high skill cap, and difficult to play, but I struggled even with clearing minion waves with me. I'm probably building and doing his skill order wrong.

Someone suggested I rush Rylias (which makes sense when I think about it) and skill R>Q>W>E. I've always done W last, and maybe that's just one reason why I am scrub with him.

Thanks a lot everyone for your advice.

It kinda depends. I personally like opening up catalyst first when I go bot with him, and then go straight into a RoA. After that I typically try to go for a Will of the Ancients for sustain and so I'm not so reliant on leveling/health relics to heal myself, and then typically I go for a Deathcap. Rylais is a bit overrated on him, you don't really need it but it does make his skillshots easier to land if you are struggling with them. He can also kite fairly well with it but honestly I don't think it's a must-buy.

As far as runes go, going mpen reds then stacking ap/lvl everywhere else works pretty well. You can go for other things though like cdr or defensive stats if you are really struggling to stay alive, but I find pure ap is amazing on him since he scales so well.

When it comes to leveling, that's kinda preference oriented to, or at least match-up oriented. Against some you really don't need to go into Locus all that much, if you are facing a melee without a gap closer you can still kite competently even without going into Locus every 3 or 4 seconds. Maxing Mage Chains second gives you a significant damage boost, but at the same time if you want to constantly siege up and throw out harassment going Locus is obviously the better option.

21/0/9 masteries, honestly I don't think any other option is better for him, or really any other burst caster either on SR or Dom.

As far as summoner spells go, you can get a variety of things. I personally like Flash/Ignite on him the most which is the traditional mid/caster set-up. You can get other things though, the infamous Garrison/Revive or Promote/Garrison combos are always great choices for a bot laner, although ghost is kinda overkill on the speed boosting on Dom. As your ms increases you get less and less benefit from ms boosts, so I prefer to take Flash over Ghost on him. Plus, Flash/Locus/Q shots are hilarious.

So it kinda depends. He's fairly malleable in terms of how you outfit him, but it does take skill to play as him.

Positioning is the #1 thing you have to keep in mind when playing him. You always want to be in a good enough position to consistantly land your shots, but also be able to avoid counter-attack. If you are against someone like Xin it can be difficult if you whiff your stun, so you have to be careful and always be aware of your position in regards to your opponent's. That's really true to form for all champions but champs like ranged carries and Xerath this goes double for.

I like Xerath, he's pretty fun and very underrated. I hope they change his passive like they were saying they were going to soon though, it would really make him a way more interesting character. But, regardless, gl hf!

Isysar

02-24-2012

Quote:
BigDaddyRelish:
It kinda depends. I personally like opening up catalyst first when I go bot with him, and then go straight into a RoA. After that I typically try to go for a Will of the Ancients for sustain and so I'm not so reliant on leveling/health relics to heal myself, and then typically I go for a Deathcap. Rylais is a bit overrated on him, you don't really need it but it does make his skillshots easier to land if you are struggling with them. He can also kite fairly well with it but honestly I don't think it's a must-buy.

As far as runes go, going mpen reds then stacking ap/lvl everywhere else works pretty well. You can go for other things though like cdr or defensive stats if you are really struggling to stay alive, but I find pure ap is amazing on him since he scales so well.

When it comes to leveling, that's kinda preference oriented to, or at least match-up oriented. Against some you really don't need to go into Locus all that much, if you are facing a melee without a gap closer you can still kite competently even without going into Locus every 3 or 4 seconds. Maxing Mage Chains second gives you a significant damage boost, but at the same time if you want to constantly siege up and throw out harassment going Locus is obviously the better option.

21/0/9 masteries, honestly I don't think any other option is better for him, or really any other burst caster either on SR or Dom.

As far as summoner spells go, you can get a variety of things. I personally like Flash/Ignite on him the most which is the traditional mid/caster set-up. You can get other things though, the infamous Garrison/Revive or Promote/Garrison combos are always great choices for a bot laner, although ghost is kinda overkill on the speed boosting on Dom. As your ms increases you get less and less benefit from ms boosts, so I prefer to take Flash over Ghost on him. Plus, Flash/Locus/Q shots are hilarious.

So it kinda depends. He's fairly malleable in terms of how you outfit him, but it does take skill to play as him.

Positioning is the #1 thing you have to keep in mind when playing him. You always want to be in a good enough position to consistantly land your shots, but also be able to avoid counter-attack. If you are against someone like Xin it can be difficult if you whiff your stun, so you have to be careful and always be aware of your position in regards to your opponent's. That's really true to form for all champions but champs like ranged carries and Xerath this goes double for.

I like Xerath, he's pretty fun and very underrated. I hope they change his passive like they were saying they were going to soon though, it would really make him a way more interesting character. But, regardless, gl hf!

Hey, thanks a ton man. I appreciate all your advice. I've definitely got miles to go on the positioning aspect. Sometimes I Locus in stupid situations as well. I'll play like you do and give it a shot.

vNaK

02-24-2012

Reading this thread makes me want to try out Xerath, I'm always looking for fun, challenging champs to play with.

swampfox357

02-24-2012

Quote:
Hugs From Momma:
Mages struggle to have a place on Dominion. The towers don't have the range and hitting power that they bring on SR, so there's really no place to hide. They can be ok, but I really can't recall the last time I saw a mage run away with a match.

In my experience, some mages are quite good on Dom. Malzahar is a great bottom and passable top due to his AOE (insane in some compositions). Brand has some amazing AOE at top. Ryze, well, lol. Cass, great bottom.

deepbluereason

02-24-2012

Dominion is pretty bad for burst mages. The reason is their ulti. On SR you can almost always manage to have your ulti up for teamfights. On Dominion you might only have it available every other or every third fight. And what does Xerath do without his ulti? Not a whole lot.

konfetarius

02-25-2012

Xerath is an exception to that rule. He has a low cooldown AoE poke, he gets to cast many stuns, and his ultimate actually has a pretty low cooldown. Not Lux grade, but he can shoot it every minute (not every skirmish, but every big fight it should be up).

The free armor is just gravy against the tanky deeps infestation.

Veni13

03-13-2012

Man, he's hard. Just had my first game with him and ended up 3/6/10 whilst sucking terribly...time to play AI. Thanks for the build advice/tips, BigDaddyRelish, now at least I have some clue as to build him.

GrignardTS

03-13-2012

Quote:
deepbluereason:
And what does Xerath do without his ulti? Not a whole lot.

He pokes forever from miles away.

shhbequiet9772

03-13-2012

Quote:
Hugs From Momma:
Mages struggle to have a place on Dominion. The towers don't have the range and hitting power that they bring on SR, so there's really no place to hide. They can be ok, but I really can't recall the last time I saw a mage run away with a match.

I played as Kass today around 1850 elo and went 15/1. Don't remember assists but mages can carry .

LuluBella

03-14-2012

Hes good at defending, but he is a easy target if you get caught off guard, one thing he has is range, which i find good at defending, but unreliable for damage